Sponsored by:

Alignment - options and additional value

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 03:24 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,722 Likes on 881 Posts
Default Alignment - options and additional value

So I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to alignments. I know some basics and since I'll be adding my adjustable rear toe arms soon to help with dialing out some rear inner tire wear I experienced I've called around to see what my local shops were offering. I've gotten quotes for anywhere from $175ish to $520ish - this is for a 4 wheel alignment and it does not include corner balancing. Pretty much all places I called, including my local dealer, all use a Hunter alignment system or something similar - don't recall the name. Seeing this done in person previously, the system provides suggested settings for a selected vehicle and basically walks the technician through the adjustments.

My objective is a fairly mild alignment for a car that will be driven 7-10k miles a year with an occasional track outing. I will not be chasing lap times much and will be more focused on having a good time and learning car control and being smooth. With that, I'm not looking for anything on the aggressive side. If most places I've reached out to use a fairly similar system for alignments, what would the value of a $500 alignment be vs a $200 one or what should I be asking for or expecting from the pricier one?
Old 05-18-2023, 06:06 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 959 Likes on 598 Posts

OP-So you have coils and moderate drop, correct? Techs use the same specs, machines and turn the same widgets. No value added for an alignment with no corner balance for a pricier bill. If you take the car to a shop that sees 996’s, odds are better they’ll know how to get really close to numbers with no variation side-to-side for roughly the same price point as the cheaper quotes.

I had my alignment done last year, to GT3 book spec, at a good Porsche shop here with no fuss for $200.
The following users liked this post:
plpete84 (05-19-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 08:11 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,645 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I paid $600 for an all-in track alignment/corner balance on my 996 from one of the best race shops in the area and the lead tech legitimately spent 6 hours setting the car up.
On the other hand I paid $150 for an alignment for my Cayenne to stock specs at a shop that does general work and alignments. I would not pay $600 for an alignment by an ordinary shop using Hunter equipment; that's a ripoff for what takes around 30 minutes. Do make sure that you get the alignment sheet afterwards.
plpete84 (05-19-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 10:58 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,722 Likes on 881 Posts

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
OP-So you have coils and moderate drop, correct? Techs use the same specs, machines and turn the same widgets. No value added for an alignment with no corner balance for a pricier bill. If you take the car to a shop that sees 996’s, odds are better they’ll know how to get really close to numbers with no variation side-to-side for roughly the same price point as the cheaper quotes.

I had my alignment done last year, to GT3 book spec, at a good Porsche shop here with no fuss for $200.
Thanks gents. Wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything there. I'm on coilovers at about GT3 height and noted that to all the shops. I wouldn't mind paying a premium if the corner balance was included with some specific settings but with all that spending about $700 seemed a bit silly to me given my use case. If I was chasing lap times - maybe. I do have the previous alignment sheet and will be sure to get the new one as well. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2023, 11:13 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,487 Likes on 2,011 Posts

Yeah, $200 sounds about right for an alignment. $600 all in for alignment and corner balancing assuming you don't have to pay for more hours if issues arise. I know you know this, but make sure the shop you go to has ample experience with the 996 so they know the C2 and GT3 ranges and what works given your usage goals and the equipment and tires you are running. Alot of variables.

Your car and tires love more negative camber on the track the faster you get. Conversely, your car and tires love less negative camber on the street. I have chewed up the inside of plenty of tires on the street due to running more negative camber for the track. Remember also that the more negative camber you have on the street, the more the car will follow every groove on the street. Youtube is littered with plenty of guys with too much negative camber driving around the street with cold tires and a small contact patch that find every tree, pole and meridian as a result.

With my suspension set-up, my car always felt the best on the highway with approximately -1 in the front and -2 in the rear. For the track I would go to approximately -2 F and -2.5 R, but would drive to and from the track on the street, so I didn't want to go hog wild with too aggressive of a set-up. There is always a trade-off somewhere and you have to figure out what trade-offs make the most sense for you.

The key is to find a good indy with 996 experience that you can have an ongoing relationship and conversation about your set-up that you can make adjustments over time. This conversation is also helpful because you can discuss what the other guys (club racers, heavy DE guys, street and track guys) are doing with their set-up, trade-offs, challenges, solutions, etc. Nothing better than a hey, "What's Jimmy running for his set-up on his 996?".

Hope it helps.
plpete84 (05-19-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 12:24 PM
jurrego
AutoX

Received 36 Likes on 7 Posts

I went to a local shop and this is what they achieved for $180. I am also at 996 GT3 height. Drives fine for me - maybe too low though haha.

Old 05-19-2023, 01:04 PM
jdbornem
Pro

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts

Got my alignment last fall at a high end race shop here in the midwest. They work on cars far, far more expensive than mine. They're currently selling on consignment a 2015 Porsche 918 Spyder for $1.7M if anyone is interested.

Paid $300 for a full alignment.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:41 PM
dxrohanx
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

A reputable shop in Northern California, Custom Alignment, charges $500 for a corner balance that requires coilers, which I don't have. They dialed in my camber to improve severe understeer on the track (due to the extreme lowering from H&R springs on stock shocks installed by the prior owner) and did a regular alignment for $400 . Really knowledgeable folks who took the time and explained the changes to the setup. California premium? I'm spending the rest of the hobby money on butt-in-seat time so the coilovers will have to wait.

Last edited by dxrohanx; 05-19-2023 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-19-2023, 10:34 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,487 Likes on 2,011 Posts

Since we have started to touch on other set-up items, here a something on understeer and oversteer on stiffening up sway bars and coilovers. As 996 owners, we suffer from understeer from the factory. as you dial in your preferred alignment, rotation becomes an area of focus. Here is a short Q&A on the topic from Speed Secrets.

Fwiw, car is set up to GT3 specs including height. I am still running a set of 15 year old Bilstein PSS9s. Stiffest setting in rear, half stiff (midway) in front. My tarret sway bars are set to stiffest in rear and loosest in front. Rotates beautifully and very stable at high speeds. Never used any aero, no PSM, just mechanical grip and a Guard LSD.

https://speedsecrets.com/q-how-can-i...ce-understeer/

Note: you will see at the bottom of the Q&A a link to download a pdf copy of Ross Bentleys book on "How to tune your cars handling".

Last edited by GC996; 05-20-2023 at 09:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Alignment - options and additional value