Sponsored by:

Routine IMS Upgrade Becomes Possible Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 09:30 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,931 Likes on 2,234 Posts

Originally Posted by 168glhs1986
Any certification worth their weight in salt should have to be re certified on a regular basis.

I’m not saying the case here is “marketing” but sometimes they just are that. I once sold a graber drapery rod 20 years ago and now I’m on their list of approved vendors. Sold one rod. I know nothing about their product and don’t endorse it at all.

Me personally I take a car to a race shop for their bread and butter services;

brakes
Alignments
fluid service
center lock service
suspension work

Some race shops service engjnes like this… oh it isn’t perfect? Call porsche or bmw and air freight a new crate engine in. Their clients have more money than time. I would think you would want the opposite when servicing a 996 engine. More time than money.

With that said when I’m trusting my life in a race car, I’m taking my car to Kelly Moss or TPC racing or Bimmerworld etc.

I know Im generalizing and not calling out anyone shop in particular but there are horses for courses as they say.

last thing I’ll say about big time race shops like KM. Most of them race there current car / engine. When you get into cars that haven’t been raced in 20 years the skill set can diminish on that particular model. Vintage racing shops not withstanding.
^^^This.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:28 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

This nightmare is easily navigated. LN knows about the situation, it's probably been elevated at KM by now to the decision makers. If it were my car, i would call KM this morning and ask them to call LN asap to provide the best course of action. Wouldn't be surprised if they weren't in contact now about what procedures and next steps to take.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:37 AM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 743 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
This nightmare is easily navigated. LN knows about the situation, it's probably been elevated at KM by now to the decision makers. If it were my car, i would call KM this morning and ask them to call LN asap to provide the best course of action. Wouldn't be surprised if they weren't in contact now about what procedures and next steps to take.
This is assuming they were installing an LN product.

Last edited by hbdunn; 03-10-2023 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:54 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hbdunn
This is assuming they were installing an LN product.
That is true. All bets are off if it's one of the others.
Old 03-10-2023, 11:21 AM
BRS-LN
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 365 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
Since we do not know all of the dynamics behind this, more information is necessary.
Mr. Raby is the person in charge of the CFI program, and makes all the decisions about things involving training, and application of the Code of Conduct. We need more information before it is brought up to him.
To the OP, since these LN accounts have the private messaging disabled, please email support@lnengineering.com a status update when you know more, so we can bring this up to Jake with the proper information in place. He may choose to use this as a feature on Renncast, explaining why the pre- qualification procedure is in place, and what can happen if it isn't carried out. If nothing else, he can offer some assistance to you on behalf of LN to help get you out of this scenario.
Of course, all of this is assuming that they were going to install an LN product. We are here to help if necessary.
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 04:22 PM
Rubby Lovins
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback and the advice. Not a noob to cars, just a noob to Porsche and older Porsches at that.

I've been in touch with the shop and we're going to do some more exploratory work to find out why the cam timing is so off. It's a clear red flag that the timing is so off with no other indications that this engine is slightly off it's rocker so to say. Pouring back through the documentation I do have, it looks like there was a "IMS Seal Replacement" performed back in 2013 at 66k miles along with a clutch and flywheel, so its possible that the dealer that performed the work had mistimed it by a tooth or two? I'm not too sure that the ECU would or could be tricked (hacked?) into calibrating/relearning such a deviation as normal though, again especially in the absence of any data or tactile evidence suggesting that anything was wrong with the engine. In my head a permanent 10* deviation would surely give itself away somehow.

And look - I regret airing any potential dirty laundry regarding specific processes they follow. If I'm looking at an engine that purrs, throws no codes, no sounds, no smells, and has nothing else in the engine scan to indicate anything but tender loving care, I'm just going to dive in and start working too. KMR comes highly recommended to me by 996/997 guys around the area who I trust, so the trust I have in them is implied. I raised the thread more as a "wtf is going on" given the combination of factors we're looking at here than anything accusatory or disparaging towards anyone. The guys at KMR and you guys here have forgotten more about 996's than I ever have and ever will know. I'm just trying to sense-check and get some ideas for how to tackle this.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rubby Lovins:
168glhs1986 (03-10-2023), GC996 (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 08:22 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 696 Posts

I know absolutely nothing about engines either. I rely on this forum and my local mechanics. What a great forum it is.

Quick Reply: Routine IMS Upgrade Becomes Possible Nightmare