Steering wheel shimmy going over bumps.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 09:49 AM
Nate.Evans
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
Glad that got figured out.
Yeah, it's been a huge PITA...it's funny how the very last thing it should have been, was actually the problem. They were actually joking about it in the shop "If those were like some other aftermarket thing or Koni's, I would have been like 'see, that's what you get buying cheap stuff.' but I never would have guessed Bilsteins." lol. Not sure I would have lumped Koni in there, but I assume since they're a race shop, they probably see quite a bit come through...hopefully I get the car back today and back on the road ready for Amelia/Werx Reunion in 2 weeks.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nate.Evans:
GC996 (02-16-2023), TheChunkNorris (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 10:52 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 1,933 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate.Evans
Yeah, it's been a huge PITA...it's funny how the very last thing it should have been, was actually the problem. They were actually joking about it in the shop "If those were like some other aftermarket thing or Koni's, I would have been like 'see, that's what you get buying cheap stuff.' but I never would have guessed Bilsteins." lol. Not sure I would have lumped Koni in there, but I assume since they're a race shop, they probably see quite a bit come through...hopefully I get the car back today and back on the road ready for Amelia/Werx Reunion in 2 weeks.
Damn it! Missing another event.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:36 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,429 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate.Evans
Yeah, it's been a huge PITA...it's funny how the very last thing it should have been, was actually the problem. They were actually joking about it in the shop "If those were like some other aftermarket thing or Koni's, I would have been like 'see, that's what you get buying cheap stuff.' but I never would have guessed Bilsteins." lol. Not sure I would have lumped Koni in there.
I'm surprised about their Koni comment too. I've never had an issue with them and always thought they were held in higher regard than Bilstein.

At some point Bilstein switched from a threaded steel gland nut on the top to a plastic press fit cap. I'm curious if yours has the same type cap and if that cost cutting measure is part of the reason for the leaks.
BTW, mine went out back in 2016 and it still feels like it has a full charge of gas 7 years later (I have no idea why I saved it this long ).

Old 10-20-2023, 10:11 AM
996turboli
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

guys thanks for support, im definitely going to have rims looked at once again, maybe put car on lift and inspected, maybe even try a set a wheels (once I find a volunteer), if no luck, ill have another professional look at it, I cant see why im not able to run spacers.

Also was debating with a friend of my about it, told me had same issue with his car and H&R spacers in past. Guys think its possible bad spacers is a thing? I find it hard to believe, since ive always ran h&R spacers in previous cars and never had an issue. IM almost certain the issue is there and spacers augment it .
Guess i could also try using oem bolts for wheels not the H&R ones just to see if its a bolt problem. since another member had that issue.

thanks for tips and support,
any members here from Long Island NY.

Last edited by 996turboli; 10-20-2023 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shimmy going over bumps.