Sponsored by:

Key fob slow blink

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 01:05 PM
dsbl
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Key fob slow blink

I purchased a new Carrera GT key head (I assume new old stock) about a year ago to replace one of my failed units, went out to run some errands and locked the car with the fob no problem, 30 minutes later when I came back the fob would not light up at all when pushing the button, so I manually unlocked the door and drove home. After replacing the battery the fob will now only blink about 1hz when holding the button, and does not lock/unlock the car any more. I swapped back in the original battery which shows the same behavior. Tried all the usual tricks (reverse polarity for ~10 seconds, leave the battery out of the fob overnight, many combinations of unlocking the door/starting the car) and no love.

It seems almost every thread about fob issues boils down to "replace it", and I can't find any official looking info about what the slow blink means. I did retain the code tag for the key, so I could attempt to have it re-synced with the car, but not super excited to go pay for that service. Also not stoked to replace the unit as they're not exactly cheap and this one seemed to go on me pretty quick, anyone else have experience with this condition?

Old 01-30-2023, 05:52 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by dsbl
I purchased a new Carrera GT key head (I assume new old stock) about a year ago to replace one of my failed units, went out to run some errands and locked the car with the fob no problem, 30 minutes later when I came back the fob would not light up at all when pushing the button, so I manually unlocked the door and drove home. After replacing the battery the fob will now only blink about 1hz when holding the button, and does not lock/unlock the car any more. I swapped back in the original battery which shows the same behavior. Tried all the usual tricks (reverse polarity for ~10 seconds, leave the battery out of the fob overnight, many combinations of unlocking the door/starting the car) and no love.

It seems almost every thread about fob issues boils down to "replace it", and I can't find any official looking info about what the slow blink means. I did retain the code tag for the key, so I could attempt to have it re-synced with the car, but not super excited to go pay for that service. Also not stoked to replace the unit as they're not exactly cheap and this one seemed to go on me pretty quick, anyone else have experience with this condition?
I've afraid this is one of those times it sucks to be a Porsche owner. The FOBs have to be programmed by the dealer or an authorized Porsche service center that has access to the PIWIS network and iPass access. I've had this problem on all of my Porsche cars. I've tried all the tricks and syncing methods, but they didn't work for me. What worked is taking it to Porsche and paying for a new replacement. Sorry.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:55 PM
dsbl
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

$280 for a new key head or $315 for a carrera GT head, guess I'll get another fancy one Maybe at some point porsche classic will do a run of these transmitters, otherwise in a few more years we'll all be enjoying the ultimate analog porsche experience of manually unlocking our doors.

Quick Reply: Key fob slow blink