Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Repair oil pickup tube mount broken threads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 05:30 PM
realityagent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Repair oil pickup tube mount broken threads?

Hello again folks,
In the process of my LN 4.0 refresh / cracked head repair, I am installing a deep sump kit. When I removed the existing pickup tube bolts, about half the thread came with them on one bolt It almost looks like there are already some kind of insert / helicoil in there already, that has given up.

Curious if anyone has thoughts on options to repair this - I am not sure how thick the walls of the pickup mounts are, if I want to drill out for a timesert. Also, I'm puzzled by what's already in there - is this factory?
This is obviously not a point where failure can be permitted to occur, as it's the main oil pickup. It's also kind of a pain to work on, since I haven't split the case, and drilling is going to include a lot of contamination / impossible to put on a press. I can manage around this if needed, but thoughts welcome, in case anyone else has encountered this. I've never seen entire chunks of thread come out of a casting before...
Truth be told, there are still some threads left and a bolt will catch them (and bottom out without spinning the remaining threads), but I definitely don't feel comfortable leaving it as-is! Sigh. My buddy suggested self tapping screws and we had a good chuckle

Both sides appear to have some kind of insert in them. Here's a longer distance view of both:

And here's a "close-up" of the now-mangled side:

Old 01-22-2023, 05:50 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,076 Posts

That's classic aluminum thread gauling, that is what aluminum is famous for...

That close-up looks factory to me, no insert , just a factory countsunk thread...

No problem drilling and putting a thread insert in there, there is plenty of meat around there just watch the depth and don't go any deeper...
The following 2 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
damage98MO (01-23-2023), realityagent (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 06:12 PM
realityagent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You rock, sir. Much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Repair oil pickup tube mount broken threads?