Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How to lift the rear for a oil change fastest / cheapest?
Lift the car with two jacks after which use chock and axle stands
25.00%
Get race ramps (:-( expensive no other altern. for wide tires)
43.75%
Build your own from wood
31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Race Ramps or other pragmatic solution for oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 12:04 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,294 Posts

I used to hang my 996 off the edge of my garage because there was a 2 inch drop to the driveway.
When I had a new driveway poured they leveled it to the garage and that was no longer possible.
About the same time I purchased a used BL5000SLX QuickJack off Craigslist.
It's awesome!
I now use it for oil changes because I can also get underneath on a creeper and inspect everything.

Last edited by TexSquirrel; 01-13-2023 at 12:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wdb (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 01:15 PM
Coolwnc
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
I used to hang my 996 off the edge of my garage because there was a 2 inch drop to the driveway.
When I had a new driveway poured they leveled it to the garage and that was no longer possible.
About the same time I purchased a used BL5000SLX QuickJack off Craigslist.
It's awesome!
I now use it for oil changes because I can also get underneath on a creeper and inspect everything.

I noticed that there is a square taped area on the floor under the car. What is that used for?
Old 01-13-2023, 01:49 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That’s where the QuickJacks were stored and I was able to park over them.
My driveway is curved, so I have to come in at an angle.
This marks where the my needed to be.
As you can see it is angled.
Since my 996 was away I installed some wall mounts for my QuickJacks so they no longer have to be stored under my 996.

While I was down, the garage got junked up and I still haven’t cleaned and straightened!
Too much, “put it in the garage and dad will take care of it when he is better.”
Hmm, that's mainly my son's toolbox and junk.

My workbench looks even worse!
But that's where most of the six months of "put it in there and let Dad sort it out later" stuff has been dumped.

Last edited by TexSquirrel; 01-13-2023 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-13-2023, 01:55 PM
Coolwnc
Rennlist Member

That’s where the QuickJacks were stored and I was able to park over them.
My driveway is curved, so I have to come in at an angle.
This marks where the my needed to be.
As you can see it is angled.
Since my 996 was away I installed some wall mounts for my QuickJacks so they no longer have to be stored under my 996.

While I was down, the garage got junked up and I still haven’t cleaned and straightened!
Too much, “put it in the garage and dad will take care of it when he is better.”
Hmm, that's mainly my son's toolbox and junk.
That's what I thought. I plan to store mine on the floor and drive over. I also have the hangers to mount on the wall if need be.
TexSquirrel (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 02:03 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I had to hang them on the wall mainly because my wife has been parking in the garage while my 996 has been away.
I was afraid she might actually run over them so I quickly put up the mounts and hung them on the wall.
She knows she is about to be evicted from the garage.
The 996 is worth more than the new RAV4 I purchased her back in April so it gets to stay in the garage.
We have a "2 car" garage, but with my tire rack and hurricane shutters, and portable air-conditioner, and residential trash can, and some tools, 2 cars are not easy to squeeze in.
Old 01-13-2023, 02:25 PM
Idaho911
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 176 Posts

Pretty sure I know the answer, but for those with QuickJacks, how do you like them? Pros/Cons?

Sorry for the thread highjack!
Old 01-13-2023, 02:44 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

One of my best tool purchases.

Con:
  • They are not a full height 2-point lift.(No room for one though in my garage)
  • They require SUV adapter in order to gain enough height to drop an M9x
  • Cost (they are not cheap)
Lift bars or jack stands are cheaper
Pro:
  • They can be stored out of the way so you don't have to walk around/sneak past them like like a typical 2-point lift.
  • They can be used to drop an M9x
  • Cost (they are MUCH cheaper than 2-point lifts)
  • MUCH safer than jack stands
In April 2020 while preparing for a UAOS install one my jack stands tilted and slipped and my car fell.
Luckily there was no damage and no one was hurt.
But I decided to replace my 30+ year old jack stands with something heavier duty.
When I was shopping I discovered that Harbor Freight jack stands had just been recalled due to failures.
I decided to purchase a QuickJack.
I had previously helped a Rennlister assemble his and decided THAT was what I wanted.
I started gathering the money to purchase them and was just days from ordering them when someone posted a used BL5000SLX on Craigslist for 1/4 the price.
I jumped at it and bought it.
When I got home my 996 would not fit.
After measuring I discovered that I had actually purchased a BL7000SLX that would not work.
I was able to purchase new 5000SLX frame assemblies and ended up with 2 QuickJacks for a little less than the price of 1.
  • They can be moved track-side, or loaned to friends.
  • Cheap solution for working on 2 vehicles at 1 time.
When I had 2 sets of frame assemblies I was able to have 2 vehicles in the air at one time.
https://www.quickjack.com/parts/frame-assembly/
But storing 2 sets of frame assemblies got to be too much so I sold my extra set.(BL7000SLX)
Old 01-13-2023, 03:25 PM
Coolwnc
Rennlist Member

One of my best tool purchases.

Con:
  • They are not a full height 2-point lift.(No room for one though in my garage)
  • They require SUV adapter in order to gain enough height to drop an M9x
  • Cost (they are not cheap)
Lift bars or jack stands are cheaper
Pro:
  • They can be stored out of the way so you don't have to walk around/sneak past them like like a typical 2-point lift.
  • They can be used to drop an M9x
  • Cost (they are MUCH cheaper than 2-point lifts)
  • MUCH safer than jack stands
In April 2020 while preparing for a UAOS install one my jack stands tilted and slipped and my car fell.
Luckily there was no damage and no one was hurt.
But I decided to replace my 30+ year old jack stands with something heavier duty.
When I was shopping I discovered that Harbor Freight jack stands had just been recalled due to failures.
I decided to purchase a QuickJack.
I had previously helped a Rennlister assemble his and decided THAT was what I wanted.
I started gathering the money to purchase them and was just days from ordering them when someone posted a used BL5000SLX on Craigslist for 1/4 the price.
I jumped at it and bought it.
When I got home my 996 would not fit.
After measuring I discovered that I had actually purchased a BL7000SLX that would not work.
I was able to purchase new 5000SLX frame assemblies and ended up with 2 QuickJacks for a little less than the price of 1.
  • They can be moved track-side, or loaned to friends.
  • Cheap solution for working on 2 vehicles at 1 time.
When I had 2 sets of frame assemblies I was able to have 2 vehicles in the air at one time.
https://www.quickjack.com/parts/frame-assembly/
But storing 2 sets of frame assemblies got to be too much so I sold my extra set.(BL7000SLX)
Great story! Hear is my story....My son (31) had a friend who owned a detail shop. They were selling the Quickjack and were having a full size 2 point lift installed. My son wanted me to go in half on the purchase which I did. Sale price of the used lift $900, my part $450. It stayed at my house till he needed it at his house. Then he loaned it to friends to use. Bottom line I just bought my own. That's how kids con you into going in on the deal. My son is a BMW M3 guy. I was till I saw the light!
Old 01-13-2023, 03:51 PM
pulpo
Pro

Received 369 Likes on 211 Posts

i've debated the quick jacks many times and have decided to suffer with my jack/4jackstands until I own a home and then I will get a two post lift.

i'm like mike ehrmantraut on half measures
Old 01-13-2023, 06:04 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,260 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by pulpo
i've debated the quick jacks many times and have decided to suffer with my jack/4jackstands until I own a home and then I will get a two post lift.

i'm like mike ehrmantraut on half measures
I did the clutch etc. on my Z4MC on jackstands. Never again. I'm too old for that ****. Plus I had the classic event occur when, after the car had been sitting there for weeks, I was doing something underneath and pushing and pulling myself around under the car by grabbing anything available, and one of the jackstands shifted. I won't lie, there may have been brown stains in the laundry that day.
pulpo (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 04:29 PM
996C438
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 294 Posts

I use my 2 post lift I purchased used . Best $900.00 I ever spent . Challenger 7k made in the USA . Doing any work under the car standing upright like a human being is a beautiful thing 😋
pulpo (01-14-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 06:37 AM
Vect
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by pulpo
4 jackstands. 1 jack.

lift up one side from the rear jacking point, place jackstand under front jacking point on same side
repeat the process on the other side, now the front of the car is in the air
lift the whole rear from the cross-beam-support between the engine and transmission (pictured)
slide jackstands under the two rear jacking points, lower the jack
car is now elevated and level

Hi there,

Many thanks, however I have seen this YT and the guy says absolutely do not lift by the center crossmember
what are your thoughts on this?
damage98MO (01-16-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 06:41 AM
Vect
Instructor

Originally Posted by Idaho911
Are you able to park the car at the edge of the garage/driveway and lay down in the driveway? That method usually allows enough room to change the oil with the car on the ground.
You are right, I tried and I have enough clearance I ordered a set of these https://www.ebay.de/itm/274986457137

They raise the car by 2 inches or so and I should have more than enough room to do an oil change and it's the fastest / simplest. Thanks for the tip! I was used to the fact that the e46 you needed to be further in.

Old 01-15-2023, 06:43 AM
Vect
Instructor

error

Last edited by Vect; 01-15-2023 at 06:43 AM. Reason: didn't quote correctly
Old 01-15-2023, 06:45 AM
Vect
Instructor

Originally Posted by golock911
With a 2350mm wheelbase, a 3 percent grade would be ~70mm. If you get the 3" race ramps, you'll bring the car nearly back to level(75mm). Perfect for draining the oil. I use 4 ramps because my concrete is nearly level. Good luck!
Awesome, how do you do said calculation? Second question, do you think using jacks on a 3 degree grade is still safe?

Quick Reply: Race Ramps or other pragmatic solution for oil change?