Old 12-29-2022, 04:17 PM
RadManLV
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by philbert996
This
….and then watch this video on using the Durametric
https://youtu.be/y342KBpR4K8

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered mine already. should be here next week.
The following users liked this post:
TexSquirrel (12-29-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 04:18 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Purchase price = Initiation Fee, then comes the monthly dues and the occasional special assessment, welcome to membership in Porsche Country Club!
The following 4 users liked this post by Optionman1:
dporto (12-30-2022), EVOMMM (12-29-2022), Flyfishnick (12-29-2022), TexSquirrel (12-29-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 11:01 PM
RadManLV
Intermediate

Well, I went to autozone and picked up a cheap OBD2 reader while I wait for the other one to come in and I couldn't pull any codes with it. I don't know if the reader just sucked or if the input is bad. Womp womp
Old 12-30-2022, 06:09 AM
hardtailer
Burning Brakes

Received 341 Likes on 232 Posts

You have a vacuum leak somewhere between MAF and intake valves. The extra air let's idle revs climb till they hit 1000 rpm which is (at engine operating temp) the fuel cut-off rpm when throttle is closed. Engine rpm drops, fuel injection is resumed and revs rise again till 1k. This cycle is repeated till you open the throttle just a little and the throttle position sensor indicates off-idle/part throttle and fuel is no longer cut off.
Use case for fuel cut-off is when slowing down/ braking. As soon as revs reach close to idle rpm then fuel injection is resumed in order to have the engine idle come a full stop or clutch action.

Get the engine smoke tested and seal all leaks you find.

Wrt to PSM light: if the ABS light stays on too then chances are any of the wheel speeds are not detected.
If it's only the PSM light then it will not be wheel speed signal related but PSM-specific.
Find out whether Durametric or which other diagnostic equipment is proven to be able to read the PSM/ABS associated trouble diagnostic codes prior to buying.

Last edited by hardtailer; 12-30-2022 at 06:20 AM.
wdb (12-31-2022)
Old 01-05-2023, 07:27 PM
RadManLV
Intermediate

Got the quote back from the mechanic on everything. it's running fine now, it was MAF and other vacuum hoses missing. The ignition switch was also fixed. That was the least of it.

Now I'm getting full replacement of the front rotors, new tires, wheel alignment, 120k service done on the tranny and motor, coolant tank repairs.

Total for all repairs and service: $9k
hardtailer (01-06-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 08:20 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by RadManLV
Got the quote back from the mechanic on everything. it's running fine now, it was MAF and other vacuum hoses missing. The ignition switch was also fixed. That was the least of it.

Now I'm getting full replacement of the front rotors, new tires, wheel alignment, 120k service done on the tranny and motor, coolant tank repairs.

Total for all repairs and service: $9k
I'm no expert but seems a little steep to me, unless I am missing something major. I am sure other folks will chime in, but tires/alignment ran me about $1200 (not M-Pilots, mind you) and new coolant tank is in the same area (using genuine parts). Brakes? Also not a huge ticket item. Beautiful car though, and hope you enjoy the heck outta it!
Old 01-05-2023, 09:21 PM
RadManLV
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Woodman71
I'm no expert but seems a little steep to me, unless I am missing something major. I am sure other folks will chime in, but tires/alignment ran me about $1200 (not M-Pilots, mind you) and new coolant tank is in the same area (using genuine parts). Brakes? Also not a huge ticket item. Beautiful car though, and hope you enjoy the heck outta it!
I took the car to a porsche performance mechanic shop, they exclusively work on porsches. So I know I'm overpaying some, but I'm relying on their expertise to hopefully get it right the 1st time. They went over the car top to bottom since I bought the car off a private buyer and the MAF was completely missing. They were able to find other missing items or misplaced parts in the engine. For example the power steering was overflowing cuz it had the wrong dipstick and was being over filled. As for the tires I went with the Michelin SP2s.

How much would you guys say im overpaying for all this expertise?

Old 01-05-2023, 11:58 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 763 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by RadManLV
I took the car to a porsche performance mechanic shop, they exclusively work on porsches. So I know I'm overpaying some, but I'm relying on their expertise to hopefully get it right the 1st time. They went over the car top to bottom since I bought the car off a private buyer and the MAF was completely missing. They were able to find other missing items or misplaced parts in the engine. For example the power steering was overflowing cuz it had the wrong dipstick and was being over filled. As for the tires I went with the Michelin SP2s.

How much would you guys say im overpaying for all this expertise?
Hard to say as you didn't detail all the parts.
But I've seen people here spend that much on a perfectly fine running car just to make themselves feel better. You had something resurrected by people who seem to know what they are doing and should be able to back that up.
Enjoy it!!
Old 01-10-2023, 10:28 PM
RadManLV
Intermediate

Finally got her back from the shop running great. Sans the loud exhaust, but that's due to the cat delete the previous owner did. Don't mind the mess in the garage. Couldn't take any outside pix due to the weather.

Future upgrades list: New front bumper or front lip. Rear spoiler, possibly a duck tail.

EVOMMM (01-10-2023)

Quick Reply: Help with 01 911 Carrera 4 I just purchased