996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996.2 windshield trim loose

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2022 | 09:41 AM
Jjcrawdad
Advanced

Default 996.2 windshield trim loose

Recently bought and drove a 2005 Carrera 4s that lived in Texas back east (mentioning Texas because of the summer heat there). I noticed the rubber trim around the windshield is loose and and can be moved around, sides pull up easily exposing the edge of the glass.
Anyone experience this and have a tip on whether I should apply sealant and tighten down the loose trim down or did the trim possibly shrink from heat and need replacing? I'm just worried that rain / washing getting water into the metal channel around the glass could start rust in there. Any thoughts?
Old 10-12-2022 | 10:34 AM
Jjcrawdad
Advanced

Default Follow up on my posted question on windshield trim

Saw some older posts on the subject. Sounds like I'm not alone. One post suggests applying 3m trim sealant to hold it down. But another suggested it's press fit and not meant to be glued down. Again, wondering if it is prone to shrinking and I should get the replacement part. Any more thoughts from anyone on the subject? Again, mainly worried about water infiltration starting rust in the frame area.
Old 10-13-2022 | 06:51 AM
PorkyStr
Track Day

Default Same problem

I have a low mileage 996.1 and have exactly this problem with the rubber trim on the A post on the drivers side of the windscreen. I do
not like the thought of any adhesive but am looking at putting some silicone to stop it lifting.
Old 10-13-2022 | 09:12 AM
Dagsvik
Advanced

My windshield trim was loose. Rain water would get under the rubber, slide down the glass and go directly into my cabin air filter in the frunk. Of course the water went through the HVAC ductwork and soaked my carpet. I chased that leak for years trying to figure out wtf was going on.

There are three screws holding the windshield trim securely in place. Two of my screws had reamed out the holes in the plastic enough that the screw head was no longer pulling the trim down tight.

Three new screws, complete with sensible washers fixed my situation.

Old 10-13-2022 | 01:17 PM
Jjcrawdad
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jjcrawdad
Saw some older posts on the subject. Sounds like I'm not alone. One post suggests applying 3m trim sealant to hold it down. But another suggested it's press fit and not meant to be glued down. Again, wondering if it is prone to shrinking and I should get the replacement part. Any more thoughts from anyone on the subject? Again, mainly worried about water infiltration starting rust in the frame area.
FYI, I ordered a new rubber trim part from Porsche of Delaware and will see if the current one has just shrunk and gotten loose and a replacement solves the issue. I'll update this thread.

Part Number 996-541-541-02 Windshield Post Trim

Quick Reply: 996.2 windshield trim loose