996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Clicking sound coming from B&M shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004 | 05:35 PM
Cydog
Instructor

Question Clicking sound coming from B&M shifter

I recently had the B&M short shifter installed. What a great mod, but I'm worried that something may be wrong... When I shift hard from 1st to 2nd, or from 2nd to 3rd, I often times hear a "click". Is this normal, or is it cause for concern?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-04-2004 | 05:54 PM
Andy (Atlanta)
Racer

Check to see if the bearing adjustment screw (the one with the lock-nut and hex head screw) is tightened properly. Loosen the lock-nut and tighten the screw until the shifter will NOT return to center by it’s self. Then back the screw off slightly until it does. I had something similar happen when I did my first B&M installation and it ended up being too much play in the forward and back motion of the shifter. Hope this helps.
Old 05-04-2004 | 05:54 PM
Lizard1
Racer

Default Hmmmmm......

I've done this install several times and I had a similar problem the first time. It was a little "click" that was driving me crazy. It turned out to be that the actual stick shift **** was not screwed (allen wrench) down tight onto the B&M shifter. The B&M metal shifter is actually a tad different than the stock one. As the metal "handle" gets close to the actual shifting mechanism, it narrows down (tapers). This makes it hard for you to tighten the shift **** onto the B&M part. It will be tight for awhile but eventually loosen up within a day or two. To solve this problem, I just didn't slide the shift boot cover all the way down the B&M shifter. Just raise it 1/4-1/2" and then you can tighten it to the flat part of the B&M shift lever.

I hope all this makes sense and that this solves your problem. If not, let me know and I'll brainstorm some more.

Did you do the install or the dealer?

take care
frank
Old 05-04-2004 | 10:16 PM
RexracerX
Instructor

In an attempt to get rid of the annoying shifter noise that appeared once I had installed my SSK I tightened down the adjustment screw so tight the shifter could barely move.

Once I knew that free play wasn't the problem I took the shifter off and wrapped the shift lever with tefflon (plumber's) tape thick enough that the shifter had to be tapped back on the lever. Then I tighten the lock screw on the shifter and wallah - no more noise.
Old 05-04-2004 | 11:17 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

It's more likely the screw that titens the shifter **** to the b&m. Need to titen it up-clicking will go away. If not -I have no clue. Regards. Mike
Old 05-05-2004 | 12:36 PM
Brick
Rennlist Member

Check to see if the throw of the shifter is allowing the bottom lever to hit the housing. I put one in some time ago and although I marked and tried to get the cables back the same, the shift lever would come into contact with the blue housing it is mounted into. This made a little "click" noise. So I centered the throw by adjusting the cable and it also made the center, neutral, in a better position and thus all shifts were more centered than before. I would strongly suspect this adjust would stop the click.

Just pull the boot up and watch the position of the bottom lever of the shifter and you will see it hit the housing if this is the trouble. Good luck.

Bill
Old 05-18-2004 | 01:41 PM
Cydog
Instructor

UPDATE: The clicking noise went away after I screwed the shifter ****'s hex screw tighter onto the B&M shifter.

Good call guys!

Quick Reply: Clicking sound coming from B&M shifter