Sponsored by:

My slow refueling adventure

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 02:39 PM
Mgajse
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Loyal
Soooo...... I received the new reed switch this morning, replaced it and... total surprise, it works. I don't have an explanation, but what I think is that there is a magnet in the small flap in the fuel filler tube, maybe....

The old switch works when you place a magnet against it but otherwise isn't working against the smaller magnet in the filler due to age...

The other thought is the reed switch itself is the magnet and simply worn out, so when in proximity of a strong magnet is activates...

$39 at Pelican Parts... and btw, I emailed Pelican Parts as to the function of the reed switch and crickets so far.

Cheers
hey
i cant believe it. Maybe you solved really big problem for us all. I will order new reed switch right now and hope for the best.
i will let you know if it also saves my problem.
thanks again for your help!!
The following users liked this post:
Loyal (05-04-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 02:56 PM
Loyal
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ran down to the service station and fueled up. No problems at all, fuel went in without having to hold the pump handle at 90 or keep the vapor seal on the pump handle open.... So, it was a bad reed valve even though a magnet would actuate it. I think this may be the answer to a few peoples issue.

Last edited by Loyal; 05-04-2023 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Already posted the answer
Old 05-04-2023, 03:03 PM
Loyal
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Mgajse
hey
i cant believe it. Maybe you solved really big problem for us all. I will order new reed switch right now and hope for the best.
i will let you know if it also saves my problem.
thanks again for your help!!
I think so too. That took a while to figure out. I am so surprised that there wasn't more info on how that switch worked. Even Pelican Parts didn't get back to me... anyway, even if it is not the problem it is easy and cheap to rule out. Good luck to you.
Old 06-03-2023, 06:38 PM
Antecedence57
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default incorrect fuel cap design causes tank pressure issues on 996

This post is offered for the intended benefit of all who may be unaware that the 1999 C2 996 has a mechanically activated evaporative system vent. I learned this by taking a long laborious path in attempting to correct a P0453 code (excessive fuel tank pressure). I removed and tested all evaporative system sensors and valves - fuel tank pressure sensor, shut off valve, purge valve, and vent valve on side of filler neck. In addition I disconnected the ECU and tested integrity of all pertinent wiring circuits. Finally I realized the excess tank pressure was occurring due to the wrong fuel cap design that failed to open the vent valve mechanically as required to vent the tank into the charcoal canister. The vent valve on side of filler neck on the 1999 996 shuts off the vent line from the tank to the charcoal canister when fuel cap is removed. When the correct fuel cap is screwed on it activates and opens the vent valve so as vapor pressure is released from the fuel tank into the charcoal canister. I had bought a new replacement fuel cap that was represented as a direct OEM equivalent replacement but it was not as the flange on the cap was insufficient in depth to activate the mechanical lever on the vent valve. Hence, the takeaway be certain you are acquiring the correct fuel cap design when replacing your fuel cap, The photo below shows the vent valve removed from my 99 996, the red arrow points to the sliding lever on the valve that the fuel cap activates when the correct cap is in place on the tank filler neck.

p design is in place on the car..
The following 2 users liked this post by Antecedence57:
hardtailer (06-04-2023), zbomb (06-03-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 05:38 PM
france98
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Loyal
Soooo...... I received the new reed switch this morning, replaced it and... total surprise, it works. I don't have an explanation, but what I think is that there is a magnet in the small flap in the fuel filler tube, maybe....

The old switch works when you place a magnet against it but otherwise isn't working against the smaller magnet in the filler due to age...

The other thought is the reed switch itself is the magnet and simply worn out, so when in proximity of a strong magnet is activates...

$39 at Pelican Parts... and btw, I emailed Pelican Parts as to the function of the reed switch and crickets so far.

Cheers
Would you happen to have the part number for the reed switch you ordered? Thank you
Old 06-05-2023, 08:53 PM
Antecedence57
6th Gear

Default Fuel Tank Bleeder Valve Contact Sensor - 99661322401

The attached photo reveals the positioning of the sensor on the vent valve housing and is courtesy of toddmac12 posted Feb 10, 2018 ( https://www.renntech.org/topic/51885-spitting-gas-ugh/ ) The wire connector for the sensor is reported to be in the wire harness near the vent valve and filler neck.

Link to sensor source - https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...gaAtYEEALw_wcB

Old 07-01-2023, 07:23 PM
Antecedence57
6th Gear

Default question re. wire harness connection for "reed switch" ??

Cold anyone who has installed a Porsche Fuel Tank Bleeder Valve Sensor - Porsche 99661322401 (photo below) (also referred to in the above posts as a "reed switch") on a 996 comment on the wire harness plug connector that the valve sensor plugs into? On my 1999 996 C2 the original bleeder valve sensor was missing on the car when acquired used. The factory wire harness has a connector that is identical to the connector plug on the new sensor. Could someone please advise what type of connection plug prevailed in your 996 application. Is it possible that an adapter device is needed to connect the sensor to the factory wire circuit?

A new bleeder valve sensor - how to connect it to the factory wiring harness?

This is the plug connector on the factory wiring harness of my 1999 996 C2 - it is identical to the connector on the new bleeder valve sensor - how is the install wiring connection accomplished?

Quick Reply: My slow refueling adventure