GT2 or Lambo

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 07:32 PM
Chucksta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT2 or Lambo

i'm going to be upgrading my 996 cab.

does anyone know if it is still possible to order a GT2 new? it has been taken off the Porsche Australia website.

should i get a GT2 or lambo gallardo?

is the carrera GT considered a 911?

any thoughts..

thanks in advance

chucksta
Old 04-29-2004, 08:20 PM
Keyvan
Racer

911 is a rear engine flat-6, Carrera GT is s Mid-mounted V10. They don't have anything in common. Carrera GT maybe a platform for future mid range porsche models.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:26 PM
ericdee
Racer

I hear you can get smoking deals on those Lambo's

http://www.ffge.at/einsaetze/2004/B_...03/einsatz.htm
Old 04-29-2004, 08:52 PM
JLJ

Originally posted by ericdee
I hear you can get smoking deals on those Lambo's
yeah..they seem to be available everywhere. i dont understand. all reports are its an awesome car
Old 04-29-2004, 08:53 PM
ArthurK
Racer

Not in Oz you wont They sell about 1 a year......

Carrera GT is not available for purchase in Australia and if the GT 2 is no longer available (which I would be surprised if that is the case) then the Lambo is the only option you have Not my cup of tea but each to their own.

I would rather buy a GT3 and keep the 996 Cab that you already have and you will still have change left over. What more could you ask for. Even if you upgraded the 996 Cab to a turbo cab and a GT3 you will still have change!(Maybe I stretched the truth there a bit but nice garage ) Plenty of choice but as you can see I would stick with the Porsche cars
Old 04-29-2004, 08:56 PM
matterhorn762
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by JLJ
yeah..they seem to be available everywhere. i dont understand.
That's just because they decided not to artificially screw up the market and are actually giving people what they want. A Ferrari 360 costs more used than it does new, because Ferrari plays those games. It's all just business models and techniques.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:58 PM
JLJ

Originally posted by matterhorn762
That's just because they decided not to artificially screw up the market and are actually giving people what they want. A Ferrari 360 costs more used than it does new, because Ferrari plays those games. It's all just business models and techniques.
well here in canada a new car ordered has to be sold for no more than MSRP. so why are gallardos available to order and at the dealer when new 360's arent.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:13 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What games are those? A Ferrari 360 happens to be much more desirable than a Gallardo. If people are willing to pay more for a given pre-owned 360, what does Ferrari have to do with it?
Old 04-29-2004, 09:31 PM
matterhorn762
Instructor

Originally posted by Viken
What games are those? A Ferrari 360 happens to be much more desirable than a Gallardo. If people are willing to pay more for a given pre-owned 360, what does Ferrari have to do with it?
Ferrari makes it so you have to wait 2-3 years to order one of their cars. This is not because they don't make them fast enough... they just make you wait anyway. You have to be on a list... and sometimes you can't get on that list even if you are ready to give the dealer the money right now because dealers will usually take care of their frequent buyers only. If you want to buy a 360 today, you have to buy it used or pay a ridiculous high amount to a car broker. While this may sound like simple supply and demand economics, it would in fact be illegal in the United States because it causes unfair market practices. Imagine having to pay more for used motor oil than new motor oil, because the only motor oil on the market is used and you will have to wait 3 years to buy a quart of synthetic because the companies refuse to sell it to you.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:39 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Ferrari makes it so you have to wait 2-3 years to order one of their cars. This is not because they don't make them fast enough... they just make you wait anyway.
So, they do make them fast enough, but they hold the cars before delivering them? I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. The 360 is the largest volume Ferrari produced to date at 2600-2800 cars a year, and has a waiting list of 2 years or more. That, to me, sounds like a successful car, rather than a game. I happen to own a 360 Modena, purchased new from a US dealer. I am very well aware of the ordering and delivery process. Believe me, it is not a game Ferrari is playing. Maybe some dealers are making it seem that way, but don't fall for any B.S. you hear.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:55 PM
matterhorn762
Instructor

You're right... the demand for the 360 is large and so it should be since it is such an amazing car. But the problem is the tactics. The MSRP is too low for the demand and Ferrari knows this. MSRP is below what the car is actually worth because of *natural* supply/demand. What this does is force people to pay more for a used car than the MSRP on a new car. In the United States when a producer forces false prices that do not match the supply/demand, then that is called an unfair market. Whether you personally think it's fair or not is not the point I was making.

If it was a simple case of high demand for an exclusive car, then the car's cost would reflect that demand. But it doesn't... which is the somewhat "bent" business practice. But if that's what Ferrari wants to do... I'm certainly not going to lose sleep over it.

You're right that the 360 is the largest volume Ferrari ever produced... so why is it also the most difficult production Ferrari to buy? Does this make sense to you? They made a lot less 348s when they were new, but it wasn't hard to buy a new one ten years ago. It has nothing to do with "rarity" and everything to do with market games.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:23 AM
superyota
Intermediate

He is correct about Ferrari. They dont play games. The long wait lists are only in the US, the 360 is much easier to get in the rest of the world. If they raised the price here just because the car was really popular they would have to raise it around the world which would cause a large loss of sales. And if they only raised the price in the US there would be a huge grey market for the car. The 300 series F-car has always had a certain price bracket in the Ferrari line up and that will stay the same even if deman ids very high for specific model (360). I paid over $200K for a new 2004 360 F1 coupe and yes I waited on the list and didnt mind a bit. I still have more fun my porsche since I can drive it and park it. The Ferrari is a point A back to point A car. The P-car is a better car all around and the turbo with the X50 will smoke the 360. But the Ferrari 360 is the best looking car ever built. IMO
Old 04-30-2004, 05:57 AM
Keyvan
Racer

I don't mean to contradict but I watched a very detailed documentary about the beginnings of Ferrari and it clearly stated that Mr. Enzo loved to make important people wait for his cars and if he didn't like the way people reacted to waiting he would cancel their order. Ferrari had/has a production rule that is always make less cars than you can sell. This is pretty much known, it's not a rumor or a myth more like common knowledge.

Just walk into any Ferrari dealership and ask them, does Ferrari makes less cars then it can sell? and they will say yes, and those are 'games'.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:15 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally posted by Keyvan
Mr. Enzo loved to make important people wait for his cars and if he didn't like the way people reacted to waiting he would cancel their order.
As I recall the story, that is why Mr. Lamborghini started building his own cars.

Alan
Old 04-30-2004, 03:46 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Keyvan
Just walk into any Ferrari dealership and ask them, does Ferrari makes less cars then it can sell? and they will say yes, and those are 'games'.
Once again, let me remind you, that you should not always believe everything you hear. Dealers especially. Ferrari is committed to make a certain number of cars per year while trying very hard to improve quality control. There just happens to be more people willing to buy the damn thing than they can build under the circumstances. You can call it a game all you want, but I see it as a way to make a great car in certain numbers while maintaining a certain quality. Do you want them to mass produce these cars like Porsche did with the Boxster and 996? Are you happier with Porsche now that you see how much their cars devaluate?

Quick Reply: GT2 or Lambo