Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Issue Pressing Gear Selector Button in Park - Solenoid Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 07:14 PM
npatel
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Issue Pressing Gear Selector Button in Park - Solenoid Issue?

Hi folks! Having an occasional issue with my 1999 Tip - when I start the car, and press the button on the gear selector to get out of Park, sometimes the button only depresses halfway. It has been happening slightly more frequently recently, especially when it's cold. Whenever it happens, cycling the brake pedal/parking brake ends up fixing the issue eventually. No other issues shifting between gears once the car is on.

I've read the similar threads on this forum, and folks mentioned it could be a brake light solenoid issue (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post17543713)

Before I order the replacement parts, I was wondering if anyone else has any troubleshooting suggestions to confirm this is the problem? From the linked thread, Judder's experiences with the button sometimes not depressing fully seems to match mine. His diagnosis that one set of pins in the solenoid "was sticking on compression and sometimes engaged and sometimes didn't" might also help explain this issue occurring more in the cold. Anything else you would recommend checking on the car before ordering this part?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by npatel; 05-18-2022 at 07:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Issue Pressing Gear Selector Button in Park - Solenoid Issue?