Sponsored by:

Replacing chain tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 02:25 AM
wrightbenz
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
I would still change the tensioner but don’t be shocked if the noise is still present. The 99’s had an earlier version of Lokasil that creates some noise like you describe for the first 30-60 seconds after a cold start. My 99 has done it for the 10 years that I’ve owned it even though I changed all three tensioners.
@islaTurbine

I recently purchased an early build that has a short rattle at startup. Wondering if I should try replacing the chain tensioners? I would hate to have that IMS chain guide fail and have to tear the motor down for such a simple issue. A pic just to keep it interesting 😀

Last edited by wrightbenz; 06-27-2024 at 02:26 AM.
Old 06-27-2024, 07:37 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,702 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by wrightbenz
@islaTurbine

I recently purchased an early build that has a short rattle at startup. Wondering if I should try replacing the chain tensioners? I would hate to have that IMS chain guide fail and have to tear the motor down for such a simple issue. A pic just to keep it interesting 😀

I don’t remember reading many posts where replacing the tensioners results in fixing the early 3.4 5-chain cold start rattle issue. So to that end, it’s just a guess if you replace them.
Old 06-27-2024, 09:11 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,402 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Tesioners r a maintainence item so they do need to be replaced at some point. The ims and left bank r easy to get to and right bank is under the ac compresssor. If u r gonna do 1, do all 3. Will it fix the start up rattle, probably not but u wont have to worry about a bad tensioners.
The following users liked this post:
islaTurbine (06-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Replacing chain tensioners