996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Tiptronic to manual transmission swap - 2004 996.2 Carrera 4S with A9635

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 06:38 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,776 Likes on 1,131 Posts

The only programming I did to mine was to tell the ABS it was in a manual car. A PIWIS is needed for this, I think.
Old 12-04-2023, 09:34 PM
gcracer1
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Programming

Thank you e30rapidic! You have inspired me to keep my car and install a MT. I have a couple questions as I plan the project and buy the required parts.

I am confused about the coolant lines. I understand the TIP has coolant lines but the MT does not. Why do we need to mess with coolant lines?

My other question is with regard to Programming. I currently do not have a diagnostic tool for this car. If I buy an instrument cluster as you have suggested what "programming" would you expect I will require? Is there an aftermarket device that will enable me to do this?

Thanks again
The following users liked this post:
e30rapidic (12-06-2023)
Old 12-05-2023, 07:34 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,405 Likes on 1,782 Posts

There is a coolant circuit that runs through the oil cooler in the tip. U should be able to block both sides and be fine or replace the 2 hoses with the manual hoses. U cant have them connected because they will bybass coolant and the car will not get up to temp properly. Its a common issue when the cooler t-stat fails.
Old 12-06-2023, 01:22 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by gcracer1
Thank you e30rapidic! You have inspired me to keep my car and install a MT. I have a couple questions as I plan the project and buy the required parts.

I am confused about the coolant lines. I understand the TIP has coolant lines but the MT does not. Why do we need to mess with coolant lines?

My other question is with regard to Programming. I currently do not have a diagnostic tool for this car. If I buy an instrument cluster as you have suggested what "programming" would you expect I will require? Is there an aftermarket device that will enable me to do this?

Thanks again
Great!! Glad to help and love to see it.

You can probably just reuse the tiptronic coolant line and block off the tee. I just wanted mine to look proper and oem.

I'm sure that if you just throw a manual cluster in and go. The tiptronic computer talks to the dme by an early can bus system, so you may get a code about the coolant shut off valve for the transmission but not sure there. I did use PIWIS dropdown menu to switch the dme from automatic to manual.

I got my a PIWIS II and used it on my Cayenne as well. It works on my Panamera too but if I get a newer Porsche, I'll have to upgrade to the PIWIS III.

The following 2 users liked this post by e30rapidic:
fasterfaster (03-17-2024), modz (12-10-2023)

Quick Reply: 996 Tiptronic to manual transmission swap - 2004 996.2 Carrera 4S with A9635