Sponsored by:

Clutch pedal creaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 04:59 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by dsbl
Removing this spring may cause issues with cruise control, as that spring helps hold the pedal when not engaged. Without the spring it may trip the sensor indicating pedal movement, which disables cruise control. If you don't use cruise control this obviously isn't much of an issue.
Never new that. Come to think of it, dont think i ever used cruise control on my 996 in 20 years.
Old 03-29-2022, 04:15 PM
Flyfishnick
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

I seem to remember the first 6 months I owned my car, in warm weather only 70-80 degrees, it would make creaking sounds too. It kinda bugged me so I took it to my Indy and he sprayed some sort of lubricant on the spring and it never has made noise since, lol. Don't know if that is the 'fix-all' or not, but my spring is intact and quiet, lol.
Old 03-30-2022, 09:40 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 161 Posts

Great thread....I have owned brand new, vintage, used manual shift cars. Everyone of those cars had or has clutch squeak. I do what many have suggested and sprayed different lubes on different spots. I'm thinking it is just the nature of manual cars. On a fox mustang, I changed out the whole internal clutch quadrant mechanism, new cable etc. etc. Squeak stopped.....for about a year. Then came back.
Old 03-30-2022, 01:07 PM
Type65
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by steam_mill
Great thread....I have owned brand new, vintage, used manual shift cars. Everyone of those cars had or has clutch squeak. I do what many have suggested and sprayed different lubes on different spots. I'm thinking it is just the nature of manual cars. On a fox mustang, I changed out the whole internal clutch quadrant mechanism, new cable etc. etc. Squeak stopped.....for about a year. Then came back.
This is interesting. I have owned a lot of manual cars mostly 60s and 70s, with a few 80s. Linkage clutches, cable clutches, hydraulic clutches and not one of them has never made any noise that a little silicon spray on the pivot points didn't fix. My 996 has never made any noise before or after removing the spring.
Old 03-30-2022, 01:14 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Type65
This is interesting. I have owned a lot of manual cars mostly 60s and 70s, with a few 80s. Linkage clutches, cable clutches, hydraulic clutches and not one of them has never made any noise that a little silicon spray on the pivot points didn't fix. My 996 has never made any noise before or after removing the spring.
I removed my spring but I would spray whatever silicon spray you have in the spring tube (you can't miss it) first. The pedal is very hard to push without the spring, it takes some getting used to. I removed the spring because it broke, but I didn't replace it because without the spring I can tell the engagement point of the clutch much better. I haven't stalled the car since I took the spring out, and I used to stall it once in a while. The clutch system is hydraulic and I suspect but can't confirm that the engagement level on the pedal changes because pressure in the system changes slightly. I also still kinda stink at manual, so maybe that's it.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal creaking noise