Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Will 996 cars prices get back to 18 months ago ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 01:40 PM
Icelia
Instructor

Received 170 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by NYPOWR4
I hope to drive the beejeezuz out of it “
Forget cost/resale, this^^^^ is living.
Old 02-24-2022, 02:51 PM
Type65
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 165 Posts

In my experience once any kind of collectible car hits bottom and starts coming up it never really stops, but it might take a small dip here or there. For example, it wasn't long ago you could pick up decent bodied aircooled VWs for less than $500 bucks and have them running later that day, nowadays that's a pipe dream. Or third gen Chargers for under $5k, but as the price of 1st and 2nd gens soared to stupid numbers 3rd gens started to take off and what was once $5k quickly turned to $15k and is still rising. Or a solid running driving Ford Highboy for $2-3k, which is now about $10k. Or any Supra. My dad bought a pristine MkII about 4 years ago for $5k and it is now worth north of $20k. The MKIVs brought up the value of all Supras. Even first and second gen mustangs, which are perhaps the most plentiful collectors car in America and literally every single part is sold, to the point you could build a brand new one from scratch, has continued to go up slowly, but steadily. The 996 hit bottom in 2018 and was going up before any of the pandemic, chip shortage, used car craziness. Now the market is a bit crazy right now for everything, not just cars, so will there be a drop in prices? Very possibly, but like others have said it will be a small correction and not back to pre-2020 numbers, and then it will likely start rising again.

I also think GC996, makes a very good point about the computers. I come from carbs and for the longest time I was scared to get into FI because of all the computers and the hassles that come with it, and that was with 80's to early 00's computers which are relatively simple. Anything newer than about 2010 is as much about electronics/computer repair as it is about mechanical repair, and in the long run that will be a nightmare.

I have to agree with all the comments about not worrying about resale if you intended to keep the car. I recently bought mine, but not for the hype or some kind of investment, but because I have always wanted one and now was finally the right time and I found the right car. I don't ever intend to sell it and don't really care one bit what it's worth in the future. I'm just going to drive and enjoy it. I'll probably put about 25k miles on it this year alone and it'll be a blast.

Also, if you are in the market to buy if all you want is a good driver there are still lots of cars out there at reasonable prices. I ran some conservative numbers and think that in about 10 years my cost of ownership with gas will be at about 30-35 cents/mile, if I can fight the urge to make too many modifications, which is very good, especially for a performance car.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:40 PM
Idaho911
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Type65
In my experience once any kind of collectible car hits bottom and starts coming up it never really stops, but it might take a small dip here or there. For example, it wasn't long ago you could pick up decent bodied aircooled VWs for less than $500 bucks and have them running later that day, nowadays that's a pipe dream. Or third gen Chargers for under $5k, but as the price of 1st and 2nd gens soared to stupid numbers 3rd gens started to take off and what was once $5k quickly turned to $15k and is still rising. Or a solid running driving Ford Highboy for $2-3k, which is now about $10k. Or any Supra. My dad bought a pristine MkII about 4 years ago for $5k and it is now worth north of $20k. The MKIVs brought up the value of all Supras. Even first and second gen mustangs, which are perhaps the most plentiful collectors car in America and literally every single part is sold, to the point you could build a brand new one from scratch, has continued to go up slowly, but steadily. The 996 hit bottom in 2018 and was going up before any of the pandemic, chip shortage, used car craziness. Now the market is a bit crazy right now for everything, not just cars, so will there be a drop in prices? Very possibly, but like others have said it will be a small correction and not back to pre-2020 numbers, and then it will likely start rising again.

I also think GC996, makes a very good point about the computers. I come from carbs and for the longest time I was scared to get into FI because of all the computers and the hassles that come with it, and that was with 80's to early 00's computers which are relatively simple. Anything newer than about 2010 is as much about electronics/computer repair as it is about mechanical repair, and in the long run that will be a nightmare.

I have to agree with all the comments about not worrying about resale if you intended to keep the car. I recently bought mine, but not for the hype or some kind of investment, but because I have always wanted one and now was finally the right time and I found the right car. I don't ever intend to sell it and don't really care one bit what it's worth in the future. I'm just going to drive and enjoy it. I'll probably put about 25k miles on it this year alone and it'll be a blast.

Also, if you are in the market to buy if all you want is a good driver there are still lots of cars out there at reasonable prices. I ran some conservative numbers and think that in about 10 years my cost of ownership with gas will be at about 30-35 cents/mile, if I can fight the urge to make too many modifications, which is very good, especially for a performance car.
I can not express how much I miss my old MK3 Supra Turbo. Red/Gray Sport Roof. Full exhaust, Tein coilovers and Veilside wheels. Truly a "Wish I never sold it" car.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:43 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 554 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Targaone1
Will the 996 prices drop a little ? Or a lot ? Or none ? 18 months ago a manual coupe was 18 to 21 k with about 90 to 100 k miles. Now those cars are 30 k .

Will this price swell ever even out ?
As long as the other generations do not fall as well, then no, but if the new generations start falling, then so will the older ones... to an extent.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:52 PM
Targaone1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted to buy a 996 24 months ago. But a huge work injury and covid stuff made me wait. I still want to buy a 996 or 997 base manual coupe. 100 k miles are fine. I have about 30 k ready to go and am still saving. Hope to have 40 k on tap by the end of the year. But prefer to spend 25 to 30 if possible.

I just dont want to buy in at the top.. i noticed a used 12 year old cayman is now 40 to 45 k. For a base manual. That also makes no sense. A new one under warranty lists at 62 plus tax. So the used one is way too high .

I am just wondering if there is a crisis to buy a 911.... or wait for prices to drop back a bit. A used 996 was half a 997 base. And now they are about the same price..
. So my strategy could be to buy the nicest 997 manual coupe i can find once i have around 30 to 35 saved.

Want other opinions..

Dont want a cab as i want track instruction and local tracks only allow coupes and full roll cages..

Dont want triptronic at all.

I had looked at E 90 and E 46 M3 cars but there prices and maint costs crossed them off my list.

So only cayman and 911 on my buy list. Prefer the 911. After driving both.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:08 PM
Idaho911
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 178 Posts

I wanted to buy a 996 24 months ago. But a huge work injury and covid stuff made me wait. I still want to buy a 996 or 997 base manual coupe. 100 k miles are fine. I have about 30 k ready to go and am still saving. Hope to have 40 k on tap by the end of the year. But prefer to spend 25 to 30 if possible.

I just dont want to buy in at the top.. i noticed a used 12 year old cayman is now 40 to 45 k. For a base manual. That also makes no sense. A new one under warranty lists at 62 plus tax. So the used one is way too high .

I am just wondering if there is a crisis to buy a 911.... or wait for prices to drop back a bit. A used 996 was half a 997 base. And now they are about the same price..
. So my strategy could be to buy the nicest 997 manual coupe i can find once i have around 30 to 35 saved.

Want other opinions..

Dont want a cab as i want track instruction and local tracks only allow coupes and full roll cages..

Dont want triptronic at all.

I had looked at E 90 and E 46 M3 cars but there prices and maint costs crossed them off my list.

So only cayman and 911 on my buy list. Prefer the 911. After driving both.
If the maintenance of an E90 or E46 M3 is putting you off, I'm not sure you'd want to own a Cayman or 911, unless you do virtually all the wrenching yourself.

Have you looked at the E46 330ci? Prices on those are also through the roof, but a ZHP optioned car would deliver close to M3 performance at a significant price difference, plus the maintenance is quite reasonable and typical of the non-M E46s.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:38 PM
Type65
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 165 Posts

I think with a budget up to $40k you can definitely find a decent well maintained car, especially if you are willing to travel to pick it up or get it shipped.

As far as comparing different generation that isn't always fair. There are many reasons someone may want a 987 over a 718. Different engines, different styling, manual vs PDK vs Tip. And just because the base purchase price of the newer car isn't much more doesn't necessarily mean maintenance will be too. Also options add up quickly, so that $40k used car may have options that would add another $10k+ to the new one. And right now, can you even get one??? And if so is it being sold at MSRP???

Furthermore there are pros and cons to a 996 vs 997 and many of here on this board, myself included, didn't buy a 996 because solely because it was the affordable option, but because it was what we liked. Personally, the 996 is my favorite watercooled Porsche and I would have still bought a 996 even if it was more than a 997. Also, keep in mind that a 997.1 is still subject to all of the same concerns as the 996. IMSB (less so, but replacement is MUCH HARDER), bore scoring, etc.

I won't pretend to know much of anything about BMWs, but I would have to agree with Idaho, if BMW maintenance is off putting to you I would think Porsche maintenance would be too.

Not trying to be discouraging, just trying to make sure you know what you are getting into, so you have a good Porsche experience.

Last edited by Type65; 02-24-2022 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:40 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 939 Likes on 566 Posts

If I had this kind of a crystal ball you guys wouldn't be meeting me on the 996 forum, that's for sure

My advice to you would be the same as buying anything on this planet. Purchase what you want and what you can afford and don't worry what we think or anyone else for that matter. Don't feel the need to compare what you want to other things - unless your heart really wants those other things. If you want a 997 get a 997. If you really do love the 911 then selling it is not going to be a huge worry of yours.

Last edited by Dr_Strangelove; 02-24-2022 at 06:43 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dr_Strangelove:
EVOMMM (02-24-2022), plpete84 (02-25-2022), Type65 (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 08:05 PM
watchknut
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

While new the Porsche world, I come from the vintage Rolex and watch world, and am very familiar with the market swings.

I’ll say this…in 20+ years of vintage Rolex, there have been 2 downturns - 2008 and first few months of the pandemic. Other than that, it’s been a constant increase to insane levels.

I’ve watched a 5513 matte go from $1 to $3k…then to $6…then $8…then $12…and now $15k+. It’s never gone down.

When people ask me about waiting, it’s simple…in 20 years I’ve not seen prices go down, only up.

I helped a good friend get into a Daytona for $18k a couple of years ago…and he was bitching about the price…now it’s $28k and he constantly thanks me.

While the market may cool a bit, once up, it’s very hard to it to be tamed to lower levels.

I sold one of my lower end vintage Rolex last month and paid for my 996.2…what pisses me off that I wish I’d done it much sooner!

Last edited by watchknut; 02-24-2022 at 08:15 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by watchknut:
davidpg (02-25-2022), schroederhc1 (02-24-2022), Type65 (02-25-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 08:50 AM
996clubsport
Banned

Received 143 Likes on 88 Posts

Deals are still out there. You just have to put work in to find one. Expect to search for 6 months to a year. I got a 996 aero car with 76k miles for 9k 6 months ago. It has a running bore scored motor. Even with a reman motor cost minus what I get for the core motor, I’m still well below market.
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (02-25-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 10:58 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,874 Likes on 943 Posts

I know values are important when you're shopping for a P car and we all enjoy our cars in different ways. With that, when did obsessing over how much more or less valuable my car has become an ownership experience?! It's getting hard to have a conversation about our cars without that being a topic. To me at least, that's not where the value is when it comes to the ownership experience. The recent Panorama magazine had a great article about a 200k mile C4S and the following stood out to me the most: "If you're a good Porsche parent, you'll drive your car. You'll remind it what it is and what it was built to do." Loved this. On the other hand, I saw a video of a gentleman with a 911 Touring that started having random problems and loss of power. Turns out a mouse made a nest and ate wiring for dinner on top of the engine. I can only imagine only because the car sat. I highly doubt it would want to live on a hot motor that screams to 9k every so often. So in the end, keeping the miles low on the car, cost the owner almost $7k.
Old 02-25-2022, 11:21 AM
Icelia
Instructor

Received 170 Likes on 84 Posts

Similar thought to the post above ^^^^^^^^

If value is the most important thing about the car, then you will be afraid to drive it because mileage decreases value on a low mileage car.

I bought a high mileage well driven example just so that I could drive the hell out of it and not worry about the money lost by running the mileage up. I had considered buying a 997tt, but at the 40k miles it had on it, I realized that I would be losing like a buck a mile just in depreciation as I drove the car.
So I left $60k in the bank, and took the rest, and bought a high mileage 996 C4 that had been well driven, and well maintained. I can drive it with no worries because it isn't going to depreciate with each mile I drive it.
Old 02-25-2022, 11:33 AM
Szabi
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think the prices will be significantly lower at all, but deals can and will be found. At least that's what I am hoping for. I was looking to get into a 996 also about 2 years ago and terribly regret it now. My work situation was not conducive but that has changed for the better, and now would love to get a daily driver but it will probably have to be a convertible since those are still attainable at my price range (15k to 20K). I do all my work anyway so I guess that lets me be a bit more of a risk-taker. I don't mind a high mileage car, at least it is driven, and assuming the owner gave 2 cents had it serviced and maintained reasonably well.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:10 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 988 Posts

Stzabi good luck on your search
Old 02-25-2022, 12:14 PM
Szabi
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

NYPOWR4, yeah, it is probably a pipe dream at this point.
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (02-25-2022)

Quick Reply: Will 996 cars prices get back to 18 months ago ?