Sponsored by:

Facom Tools

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 10:41 PM
LanceK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Facom Tools

I've been eyeing a set of Facom tools and was looking for some opinions of someone who has or had them.

In particular:

1. Quality, where does if fall in relation to say Craftsman and Snap-On.

2. Best place to buy.

3. Where do you return a broken tool? I recently contacted there HQ in Chicago and I was left with the impression that they have virtualy no dealer network.

TIA
Old 04-15-2004, 11:41 PM
RogerJ
Instructor

I have a few items from Facom. They are of a high quality. They are different from what you get from Craftsman or Snap-on. Maybe more "European" in design. I got them from Groit's Garage and am not sure what the warranty is. Might be lifetime. Can't say I see any advantage to them over Craftsman or Snap-on. They are priced in between the two.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:07 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Angry

Isn't Facom a FRENCH manufacturer???
Old 04-16-2004, 02:19 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Facom bought S-K tools several years ago. Facom is a French company. I have a few of their tools.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:14 AM
LanceK
Pro

Facom has a lifetime warranty but a non-existent dealer network.

So is SK absorbing Facom or Facom bought out SK?

Tool Pants....what do you think of Facom stuff?
Old 04-16-2004, 10:34 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Falom is a French company. I personally like Snap On best as they seem to grip my hands more comfortably. Falom to me are better than Craftsman. I purchased my Falom from www.ultimategarage.com
Great place (no affiliation). Think they even have a Falom sale going on as I just picked up some more tools last month.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:43 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice part about Sears Craftsman, they are down the street.
Snap-On there is a local guy around
Facom order and wait
Old 04-16-2004, 01:14 PM
chitownbob
Racer

Even though Craftsman's quality has gone down in the past few years, MJones has a great point. If it breaks just drive a few minutes and get a new replacement for free!!!!

Bobby
Old 04-16-2004, 04:10 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

The best tools are Snap On. Facom dose make a good tool. They fit nuts well and are a high quality piece. The problem is that they are not a high polished finish which make it more difficult to clean. To me the price is a little less than Snap on but not much more. The next problem as they say is returns. As far as home mechanics dollar for dollar Sears is great. Come on most of you probably touch your tools at most once a week. How can you justify paying 5X as much for tools when you don't use them that much. As far as fit yes Snap on is better, but I dought many of you are gonna do heavy duty work. As i see on this board some of us don't even change oil. Craftsman are good tools for the occasional homemechanics and you'll even see some pros have some craftsman in their snap on box.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:26 PM
LanceK
Pro

True Sears is often close by. But that doesn't matter if it's late at night before an event (the usual) and Sears is closed. Plus they the tool must be in stock.

Craftsman is probably good enough for 95% of the people. I'm wondering which provides the best value.

jet...I believe Snap-On is considerably more expensive than Facom. Facom is somewhere between Craftsman and Snap-On depending on what your comparing.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:01 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Never actually priced Facom. I have bought some S&K, and have both Craftsman and Snap On. Yes the S&K are cheaper than Snap on, but to me if I was spending more I go all the way. Craftsman is the best value for what you pay for a 3/8" ratchet& socket set at Snap On you could buy 240 pieces of Sears. And as they say it is good enough for 95% of the people. For the record I priced a S&K torque wrench at $200 and the snap on truck sold me one for $265. To me it was worth spendiong more on the snap on. I think you could buy a sears for $90.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:11 PM
teamb2
Advanced

what if you throw Hazet in the mix? They look nice as well.

Quick Reply: Facom Tools