Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Can you help me decide if this is a terrible buy..

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 09:07 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,013 Posts

I have both a manual 996 and a PDK 997.2 with paddle shifters. Though they drive and feel very different, both transmissions deliver the true Porsche experience when driven as they should be.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:24 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,931 Likes on 2,234 Posts

Originally Posted by soroboto
Well, this has been extremely helpful and you have all far surpassed my expectations of posting on this forum. Thank you all for helping me avoid a costly and potentially moldy mistake, particular thanks to jdbornem for the great write-up which really clarified every bit of this decision!

I'm ashamed to say I never learned how to drive a stick, I'm not sure a Porsche is a good first car to learn with. I'll increase my budget and look for some automatic 996s and possibly 997s in better shape and hopefully the tiptronic/PDKs will save me some money over the manuals.
Hey, if you want a cab with a tip then that's what you should look for.

As we all have suggested in many ways, there are very good examples of 996s in great shape with service records that demonstrate what has been done to the car and what hasn't. A complete PPI from an experienced Porsche Indy should be performed including a bore scope to check for bore scoring.

At the end of the day the 996 is one of the most awesome cars to own and drive. I have had my 02 since 02 and will never get rid of it. But there are issues that can occur with the 996 just like any car that can easily be mitigated thru the proper service.

1. Bore Scoring: more oil changes the better. Porsche made a HUGE mistake in suggesting a 15k oil change. What this means is that if the car is 20 years old and it has 90k miles, there is a very good chance that the car only had 6 oil changes in 20 years. Thats a bore scoring nightmare waiting to happen. Solution: IMHO it should be at least 2x a year, pre winter and spring. If the car is being tracked, the oil should be changed after every event. Fresh oil is the lifeblood of any engine.

2. IMSB: intermediate shaft bearing may go, which will destroy the engine. Solution: Easy fix with IMSB solution or retro kit.

3. AOS: Air oil separator is frail and WILL go causing multiple problems in the engine. Solution: Replace with UAOS which is a better product.

4. Water Pump: the water pump will eventually go, in particular, the fan blades will break working its way thru the engine which will cause it to fail. Solution: replace the water pump with a new OEM water pump. Porsche says 50k miles, I would consider doing it at 30k since its a cheap part.

Many more service items to look at such as to make sure that fuel injectors, spark plugs, ignition coils, and MAF sensors have been replaced at the proper intervals, but you get the idea.

You will know when you find the right 996. It's out there for you.
Old 11-04-2021, 01:52 PM
Joel987
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

I would walk away from a car smelling like mold. I bought an 83 944 many years ago that sat in a garage for 4 years. The seats had mold on them as well as the carpet and roof liner. I owned that car for 14 years and never could completely get the mold smell out of it. As others have stated, it sounds like the car was not cared for in several years. Walk away - it will become even more of a money pit than the usual 996 money pit.
Old 11-04-2021, 04:07 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 469 Likes on 329 Posts

That is definitely a bad buy at that price, minor neglected items could mean bigger neglected items. For future reference foam in the vents isn't a huge deal, seems to happen all the time and its a relatively easy fix if you are willing to do a little work and make one small cut that no one will ever see. For reference if I were to list my car I would list it around $30k and its had major items addressed, has less miles and is cab so you can certainly find better cars/value.
Old 11-04-2021, 04:22 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 938 Likes on 566 Posts

I'm ashamed to say I never learned how to drive a stick, I'm not sure a Porsche is a good first car to learn with.

If you have the mental strength to write that sentence you have the mental strength to learn stick in a 911. I applaud you for your vulnerability, it's a rare trait.

(That said if you can learn stick in a not-911, that's probably ideal, but I have a "run what you brung" mentality.)
Old 11-04-2021, 05:26 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,293 Posts

You should run away from this car.
Buy a tip cab if you want, but find one in better condition.
Eventually learn how to drive a manual...even if you never buy a manual 911, a real car person should know how to drive manual.
They really are more fun to drive...until you hit stop and go traffic.

I wouldn't turn down an inexpensive tip coupe, but that would be an addition to my fleet, not a replacement for my manual coupe.
The following users liked this post:
EVOMMM (11-04-2021)
Old 11-04-2021, 07:59 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 792 Likes on 507 Posts

You:
Old 11-04-2021, 08:07 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, this has been extremely helpful and you have all far surpassed my expectations of posting on this forum. Thank you all for helping me avoid a costly and potentially moldy mistake, particular thanks to jdbornem for the great write-up which really clarified every bit of this decision!

I'm ashamed to say I never learned how to drive a stick, I'm not sure a Porsche is a good first car to learn with. I'll increase my budget and look for some automatic 996s and possibly 997s in better shape and hopefully the tiptronic/PDKs will save me some money over the manuals.
I have a 2000 C2 tip. I also bought a blob eye Sti about 6 months ago and taught myself to drive stick after watching YouTube (there are a lot of great tutorials. The guy from the smoking tire did a good one). If I could only have one sports car I think it should be a stick shift. My C2 is well sorted and just doesn’t make sense to get rid of it to get another one that is a 6 speed especially when I have that itch with the subbie. If you’re gonna get a 996 and it’s your only toy I would encourage you to get a 6 speed and just learn. It isn’t super hard. You get the hang of it. But if for whatever reason you want a tip cab it’s YOUR money and you do you king

Last edited by Anestheticg; 11-04-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:50 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 143 Posts

I taught 3 of my kids stick on my 996! Taught a gf on a 73 240z. Not hard just patience. I had a tip turbo. Hated it. The tip that is the turbo was great. I have a stick turbo now and LOVE it! My oldest son and youngest son both drive sticks. Saab and Mazda. My oldest daughter can drive one now but chooses not to. The youngest well shes literally a rocket scientist and does not even want to learn. Oh well! My current gf will drive the Pcar but she prefers me to drive since we are almost always together. Take the time to learn stick. Feel and feather that clutch and it will come to you quickly. Like an hour of practice.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:09 PM
Aluffman
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

With how inflated 911 prices are right now, I would really consider alternative cars that offer similar or better driving experiences without the incredible risk of complete engine failure. Spending $20k plus on a 996 that has obviously been neglected would be a huge red flag for me. If you need an automatic, fun convertible with occasional back seats I'd go buy a BMW 128i or similar. No big turbo issues, probably faster, sounds nice and probably half the price or less.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:10 PM
neilll
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

To the OP; it’s never to late to learn stick. I more or less taught myself in a 944 at the age of 34. Nothing wrong with an auto but don’t let lack of knowledge stop you.

also, I would think a questionable auto can would be a $20k car…
Old 11-11-2021, 04:12 PM
soroboto
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Following up on some of the above comments about learning stick.. I am now looking at the 996 Turbos but feeling some hesitation since I'm not comfortable with a manual. Is it too risky/dangerous to learn to drive stick on a 996 Turbo as my first manual?
Old 11-11-2021, 04:17 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Following up on some of the above comments about learning stick.. I am now looking at the 996 Turbos but feeling some hesitation since I'm not comfortable with a manual. Is it too risky/dangerous to learn to drive stick on a 996 Turbo as my first manual?
i don’t think so…as long as you aren’t slow on the uptake and burn out a clutch I don’t see much of an issue. I would just watch many YouTube videos on how clutches work and how to drive one so you don’t do anything bad like over rev the engine or lug it
Old 11-11-2021, 04:23 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 938 Likes on 566 Posts

Any 6-speeds on Turo?
Old 11-11-2021, 04:33 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 469 Likes on 329 Posts

No you can pretty much learn stick on anything, the hardest part is getting moving anyway in which case you won't be moving very fast. Taking off is the hardest part, then getting use to it when you are stopped on a hill.

Quick Reply: Can you help me decide if this is a terrible buy..