Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Guess what my next upgrade will be! Updated litronic headlights!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 11:00 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 130 Posts

Just wanted to point out what my current litronics light pattern look like with LED high beams. Il'l use these pictures for a comparison for when I install the upgrade kit. Currently Im running stock litronics with Philips Xtreme vision Gen2 bulbs. Mind you the car is pointing down a driveway. Also when you put the fog lights on the low beams move up with the projector. I don't know if this fog light setting function will still raise the low beams with the upgrade kit but I hope so since the light pattern with the fogs and the raised low beams is quite good.

Current Setup Low beam:

Current setup Fog lights on with raised low beam projector:
Notice bellow how the fog lights make a wide pattern that lights up the bushes on the left and right edges.

Current setup High beams with raised low beam projector:
When switching the high beams on the fog lights turn off and the light pattern changes. The focus become more forwards centric. The high beam LEDs do a great job of shooting light towards the front center combined with the raised low beam projector.

Im hoping that the upgrade kit will increase the light output and also improve the light pattern.

Last edited by MoeMonney; 11-02-2021 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:22 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,659 Likes on 970 Posts

Just got shipping date cant wait
Old 11-03-2021, 04:31 AM
Victor881198
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Following. This looks like an easy mod.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:13 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 796 Posts

I just received my Retrofit Labs projector upgrades to day (they were in my driveway when I returned from a quick job around 11:30 am). They took about 3 hours total to install, but that included running out to the local hardware store for a set of "security torx" bits (only one of my lights had them - it was the passenger side, second one I did). Overall the retro-fit and installation is very simple - probably a 2 or 3 on a scale of 1 - 10. The only small complaint is that the instructions (video) just kind of skim over everything as the guy that demonstrates has clearly done the mod several times. For me the main sticking point is that both projector housings are the same (as opposed to mirror images of one another). This got me a little nervous as I thought they might have sent me two lefts or two rights (which still may be the case?) In order to mount the right projector, you have to flip the mounting bracket which in turn means you also have to flip the projector housing... I suppose this is ok, because upon testing (I just got back) the light output is quite impressive (this is with my existing bulbs - Phillips Extreme vision...). All I can say is WOW! Well worth the $180.00 - the addition of the hid to the high beams is amazing. This is one of the best mods you can make to the original Litronics!!! Don't wait
The following users liked this post:
wdb (11-12-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 09:10 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
I just received my Retrofit Labs projector upgrades to day (they were in my driveway when I returned from a quick job around 11:30 am). They took about 3 hours total to install, but that included running out to the local hardware store for a set of "security torx" bits (only one of my lights had them - it was the passenger side, second one I did). Overall the retro-fit and installation is very simple - probably a 2 or 3 on a scale of 1 - 10. The only small complaint is that the instructions (video) just kind of skim over everything as the guy that demonstrates has clearly done the mod several times. For me the main sticking point is that both projector housings are the same (as opposed to mirror images of one another). This got me a little nervous as I thought they might have sent me two lefts or two rights (which still may be the case?) In order to mount the right projector, you have to flip the mounting bracket which in turn means you also have to flip the projector housing... I suppose this is ok, because upon testing (I just got back) the light output is quite impressive (this is with my existing bulbs - Phillips Extreme vision...). All I can say is WOW! Well worth the $180.00 - the addition of the hid to the high beams is amazing. This is one of the best mods you can make to the original Litronics!!! Don't wait

Wow I can't wait to receive mine. Should be receiving them soon. Do the projectors move up with the fog lights on the fog setting?
Old 11-08-2021, 10:19 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

I didn’t even test the fogs ... but the lights moved like they always did... I’m sure the fogscwork as they always did as well.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:23 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,129 Likes on 980 Posts

Excellent write up. Hopefully the .2 install is the same, really looking forward to get the Phillips Extreme now that you mentioned how nice the are.
dporto (11-08-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 12:06 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi dporto,
After the projector upgrade did you check/notice if the beams moved up or down from OEM positions? I also can't wait to upgrade my projectors with these too. Thanks and cheers,
Old 11-09-2021, 03:56 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Botsy67
Hi dporto,
After the projector upgrade did you check/notice if the beams moved up or down from OEM positions? I also can't wait to upgrade my projectors with these too. Thanks and cheers,
Yes, all movement is the same as stock - you'll be happy with the results I'm sure! Just as described in the video, my stock projector housing reflectors had lost much of their reflective coating (not bubbled like the video - just dull). The output of my existing bulbs low beams seems to have doubled (or close to it) - the high beams are at least double what they were (no exaggeration!).
Old 11-09-2021, 05:45 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Awesome, thanks, I just hope that, like in your case, it's just Plug & Play and there will be no need to re-align the beams after the Projectors upgrade. I will also change my D2S bulbs to OSRAM NBL so it should great, thanks... Cheers,
dporto (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 07:04 PM
R324U
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I've wanted to do the .2 halogen to xenon conversion but it looks more complicated than the .1 retrofit. Will be interested to see if someone else has done it.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:46 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,129 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by R324U
I've wanted to do the .2 halogen to xenon conversion but it looks more complicated than the .1 retrofit. Will be interested to see if someone else has done it.
I have a separate set of headlights that I’m going to dissemble and try first. Should start next week.
R324U (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 02:47 PM
diddy2003
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 166 Posts

What bulbs are you guys going with? There are a lot of choices and the prices vary a lot. Thank you.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:27 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by diddy2003
What bulbs are you guys going with? There are a lot of choices and the prices vary a lot. Thank you.

Philips Xtreme vision gen 2 are the best performing bulbs out right now.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:46 PM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
Philips Xtreme vision gen 2 are the best performing bulbs out right now.
Maybe I'm missing something but everything I see say they're still 3,200 lumen. What is improved ?

Quick Reply: Guess what my next upgrade will be! Updated litronic headlights!