Sponsored by:

A Porsche newbie in a 1999 C2

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 04:15 PM
philbert996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
I have a suggestion - you do it and report your findings. Looking forward to it.
Why?
I’m not the person saying that a deep sump doesn’t help.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:16 PM
philbert996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
Haha - I hope not dude, I really do haha.

I’m done trouncing this dudes thread - take it to the oil pressure thread if you feel you must continue but I would advise against it 🤦‍♂️

Tuning 101… I got to clean the coffee off my monitor after that one haha.
Yep
Always ran my motorcycles on the dyno BEFORE making any engine modifications.
It’s pretty basic stuff.

If you’re going to tell people that a deep sump doesn’t help, have the data to back it up.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:27 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,297 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Originally Posted by philbert996
Yep
Always ran my motorcycles on the dyno BEFORE making any engine modifications.
It’s pretty basic stuff.

If you’re going to tell people that a deep sump doesn’t help, have the data to back it up.
Dude ! I NEVER SAID IT DOESN’T HELP

I said it doesn’t fix… And I have the data, and you have it and everyone has it.

Im not even sure if your just trolling me anymore.

Bizarro world I tell ya.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:34 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 939 Likes on 566 Posts

@Neubauten excellent intro post. Welcome to Rennlist, the Porsche world, and the USA at large. I too was looking for an E46 when I caught the scent of the 996. I hope yours treats you well and keeps you in the family - enjoy it in best of health. Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
zbomb (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 11:56 PM
Neubauten
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
Cool to hear about your past experience in Japan and idlers, one of the coolest Motorsports events I know of and MAN - does it scratch that JDM itch.

These cars are really good on the track, hit up the YouTube in my sig for some examples from in the car.

For a casual track car I would:

Maint - make sure the regular maint items are squared away - tires are of new vintage, belt, plugs, air filter, coolant full and rubber lines look to be in good shape, fresh brake fluid (use something good, SRF or Endless) pads, rotors, power steering fluid, radiators are clean and free of debris, fresh motor oil, good look over on the suspension for any worn bushings.

If you are looking to do some upgrades, I would consider the below:

UAOS and drain back - this will eliminate oil being ingested into the intake and allow you to run a higher oil full than is often recommended, the lower oil fill level is specific to combat the oil ingestion issue. With the UAOS with drain back, it is no longer a concern.

Tires - something with a 240TW will work well on track and street. I like Michelin road tires and loved my PS4S on both the street and track.

Brake Pads and rotors - I have experience with Hawk HP+ and Sebro slotted rotors and would recommend both

Suspension - this can vary pretty widely or be left out entirely depending on budget, if it’s on your list to get into - let me know and I will go more in depth here.

Engine - The lubrications system is a known weak point - I can’t in good faith recommend anything that I know works to resolve oil pressure instability because I don’t think it exists (opinion). Now I have data to show that the widely suggested deep sump and baffle kit from LN Engineering does NOT work for me (fact). The bright side of this is lots of people, myself included have tracked these cars WITH G induced pressure drops and been OK. Some people have not been so lucky - I would suggest you spend some time really getting to know this issue - you’re not new to modifying cars so I think you will like this thread, it’s a lot to take in but will bring you current with regards to this specific issue and just has a ton of good info from really smart people on how these engines work when used hard :

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...stability.html

Got to go back to work - let me know if you have any questions and feel free to reach out anytime - any guy that ran idlers is my kind of guy ! Welcome Bro !
Thanks for all the advices. Will have a look at all that.
Really happy that you know about Idlers, I guess the guys from Speedhunters are making this thing known outside Japan now...
Since you are advertising your Youtube Channel, if you are looking for a bit of JDM track action, don't hesitate to visit mine : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42...gqLGw/channels

That being said I ordered my first Porsche parts today : an OEM airbox (used), with a brand new Air filter, let's start with the basics and ditch the K&N
The following 2 users liked this post by Neubauten:
Mike Murphy (08-11-2021), peterp (08-17-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 12:46 AM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 388 Posts

Interesting combo. Early 99 amber tail lamps but late 99+ Litronics [that need a serious polish] up front. Someone at least wanted to see at night but then let them get all faded
Old 08-11-2021, 12:48 AM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

Is the headlight washer system functional ? What is the production date ?
Old 08-11-2021, 01:07 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,297 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Originally Posted by Neubauten
Thanks for all the advices. Will have a look at all that.
Really happy that you know about Idlers, I guess the guys from Speedhunters are making this thing known outside Japan now...
Since you are advertising your Youtube Channel, if you are looking for a bit of JDM track action, don't hesitate to visit mine : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42...gqLGw/channels

That being said I ordered my first Porsche parts today : an OEM airbox (used), with a brand new Air filter, let's start with the basics and ditch the K&N
Cool man - keep us up on the progress.

Oh yeah, Sub’d 👍 will take a stroll around.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:15 AM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

On the topic of airbox, I would have went with a 997 unit. They're way more...prettier haha
Old 08-11-2021, 10:59 AM
Neubauten
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GarrettSR5
Is the headlight washer system functional ? What is the production date ?
They are functional, I tested them while trying to activate the rear wiper (still did not succeed to this day )
Actually the production date is April 1998... Funny because the title says 1999, I guess it is a model year issue.

Last edited by Neubauten; 08-11-2021 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:10 AM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

So somewhere along the cars history someone upgraded the lights to Litronics. Early 99s with headlight washers is not seen often, wonder if it was retrofitted or came factory like that.

The 996 was introduced in the 99 model year for the NA market, even though they were produced as early as 1/98 for the US market.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:15 AM
Neubauten
Intermediate

So somewhere along the cars history someone upgraded the lights to Litronics. Early 99s with headlight washers is not seen often, wonder if it was retrofitted or came factory like that.

The 996 was introduced in the 99 model year for the NA market, even though they were produced as early as 1/98 for the US market.
Thanks for the confirmation.
I have the option 288 Headlight Washers
I also have to option 566 NEBELSCHEINWERFER WEISS, which is White front Foglights.

Not sure what Litronics refers to, I don't think I have that.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:21 AM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

Litronics is Porsches term for Xenon/HID Your car has Litronic/HIDs, you can tell because there projector in the housing.
They weren't available in early 99. Your car should have yellow front corners on the headlamps aka fried eggs and standard halogen headlamps.

Last edited by GarrettSR5; 08-11-2021 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:24 AM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

566 is integrated fog lamps. They're the bulb closest to the hood on each headlamp. I don't find them very effective
Move the headlamp dial one click to the right and pull it out to activate parking lamps and fog lamps. Two clicks to the right and pulling it out activates headlamps/parking lamps/fog lamps

Last edited by GarrettSR5; 08-11-2021 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:29 AM
Neubauten
Intermediate

Litronics is Porsches term for Xenon/HID Your car has Litronic/HIDs, you can tell because there projector in the housing.
They weren't available in early 99. Your car should have yellow front corners on the headlamps aka fried eggs and standard halogen headlamps.
Thanks, I thought so too.
There is an information on the carfax that the car was damaged at the front due to vandalism in February 2000, maybe a lamp was broken then and they retrofitted newer lamps... I guess we will never know.

566 is integrated fog lamps. They're the bulb closest to the hood on each headlamp. I don't find them very effective
Move the headlamp dial one click to the right and pull it out to activate parking lamps and fog lamps. Two clicks to the right and pulling it out activates headlamps/parking lamps/fog lamps
Noted with thanks!

Quick Reply: A Porsche newbie in a 1999 C2