Sponsored by:

iPod install part one complete

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 09:08 PM
mtksurfj
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iPod install part one complete

I've got things setup. The CDR-220 is using aux and the music sounds good. I have the cable routed to the cubby at the bottom of the center console.

Next step is to buy a belkin charger, gut it and set things up so I only need to plug in one cable for power and audio.

I noticed that when I change to CDC it shows track information or "NO CD"... is there a way to make the becker show AUX instead of the dummy CDC info?

Thanks,
Ross
Old 04-07-2004, 09:46 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

When you plugged in the Becker connector into the Radio, there was either 1 or 2 other connectors ganged together, a Green one and a yellow one (if you have Bose), in addition to the blue connector. This group is called Connector "C" and is on the connector on the very top of the radio. C1 (yellow) has the amp control wire in it., C2 (green) controls the CD changer functions, and tells the radio that there is a changer attached. C3, (blue) is for the audio input to the radio, and telephone input

Just plug in the blue Becker AUX connector and the yellow Bose connector. Leave the middle (green) connector (with is for the CD changer) unplugged. With the middle one out, the radio will think that you do not have a CD changer. The only thing you have to do then is to enable the AUX function on the radio.

To do that hold down (assuming you have a CR220 or CDR220) the "TP" button for about 8 seconds until "Becker 1" is displayed. Turn the tuning **** until "AUX off" is displayed, then use buttons under the arrows to turn AUX on. After you have done that, reboot the radio (turn it off and on) and now Aux will be displayed as an option under the CD menu.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:10 PM
jbettenc
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ross,

Do you have directions on your install and what you ordered from Becker? I read a thread from Loren that talked about ordering the phone mute/aux/tel and removal key kit ref. number 1319.116-276... is that what you ordered from Burl at Becker? My ipod should be arriving on Friday and I want to order the right stuff from Becker. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 04-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Just tell the old german who answers the phone you want a Kit to hook up your MP3 to your Porsche Radio. He will know exactly what you want.

BTW this mod will work on the Panasonic Radios (Concert, and Symphony series) that are found in Audis. except in those cases the connector C2 must also be plugged in to fake the input.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:38 AM
mtksurfj
Rennlist Member

yes, I got the kit you speak of!
Old 04-08-2004, 09:34 AM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Ross,
Which instructions are you using that guts the Belkin to use one wire for power and sound? The battery life is good enough for longer trips, but I have a car charger too, so sounds like that would be ideal. Mine doesn't say CDC, all I did was plug in the connector that came with the kit and change the radio settings as per the instructions.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:15 AM
Greg L.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

All,
Has anyone successfully installed an iPod and kept the cd changer functioning? Last I heard the cd changer had to be disconnected to connect the iPod.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:58 PM
mtksurfj
Rennlist Member

On the topic of using CDC and AUX... I believe you could wire up a switch to switch the audio. The CDC display would show when using the AUX input.

On the topic of the instructions for the belkin, I don't have any, I'm winging it!
Old 04-08-2004, 06:13 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Ross,
If you have any questions about the Belkin mod, I think Scouser was putting together a write up. Send him a PM, he might be able to answer some questions for you.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Lee from Toronto
Advanced

Default You don't need to gut the Belkin charger

All you have to do is buy a cigarette lighter socket and wire it up to the AUX phone connector harness. You'll have your choice of a switched or non-switched 12 volt power source.

As per the picture above:

1) cigarette lighter socket
2) tap-in connectors to the 4-pin AUX phone connector wiring harness. On my car (2001 C2) the green/black is switched 12v, brown is ground.
3) Becker radio AUX cable
4) Belkin iPod car charger, with 1/8" stereo output

So, plug the Becker AUX cable (3) into the Belkin charger (4). Plug the Belkin charger (4) into your new switched cigarette lighter socket (1). Tuck the whole kit and kaboodle into the area underneath your centre console. And voila, a single cable for power and audio to your iPod:

The benefit of doing this over gutting the Belkin charger is that if you do disassemble the charger, you'll see that there is a fuse built-in, which would be a pain to wire in-line. Also, the above install takes 10 minutes and you still get to use the charger if you decide to take it out!

My next project is to figure out an elegant way to mount the iPod in the car. I really abhor the cell phone mounts, as they look very aftermarket-y, and what I was thinking is to have the cable come out of the bottom of the armrest glovebox, so you could hide your iPod in there. *AND THEN* figure out a way to hook up the buttons on the iPod remote control (forward, reverse, play/pause) to the rear centre console buttons that are normally reserved for the cabriolet's rear window controls. Now *THAT* would be cool!
Old 05-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Ed996
Instructor

I'm looking at doing this too- but have the CR-220 and don't want to completely lose the CDC - occasionally I'll want to play a CD that I haven't ripped.

Another thread mentioned approaching this mod from the CDC end and fishing an RCA cable back through for the Ipod. I'm contemplating putting a Y at the CDC to merge the CDC and Ipod, thus letting me use either. Does anyone see any issues doing this?

The alternative is to either use the iTrip FM or Monster FM, or wire some switch into the signal path. I'm looking for simple and elegant (conflicting!). Thanks.

Note to Lee - have you thought about the iPod remote?
Old 05-11-2004, 09:04 PM
Lee from Toronto
Advanced

Actually, this is what I've done since I last posted. I've wired the iPod remote directly to my dash. I took apart the remote, figured out which contacts ran the iPod, and soldered leads to it:

then I routed the leads to a dash switch:

and I have the whole thing running out of the cubbyhole, note the new dashswitch (which is just a spare window switch):

and I've cut out a foam cover for the cubbyhole so I can leave the iPod in the car away from prying eyes:

For the full details on the install, you can click here
Old 05-11-2004, 09:32 PM
Brian Lopez
Instructor

now that's impressive!
Old 05-11-2004, 09:54 PM
Ed996
Instructor

This looks fantastic! How do you get the right side lower console cover off to get to the cables?
Old 05-11-2004, 09:55 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Greg L.
All,
Has anyone successfully installed an iPod and kept the cd changer functioning? Last I heard the cd changer had to be disconnected to connect the iPod.
Ditto - I've got my whole system/car apart and now would be the time to do it.

Quick Reply: iPod install part one complete