996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Finally my solution to MP3s

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 05:49 PM
matterhorn762
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, FM is in perfect tune with US frequencies. I just check the AM (I haven't listened to AM in a while). They don't match US frequencies because the Becker scans by 9 KHz instead of 10 KHz like in the US. So most (about 80% of the AM stations will not be picked up by the Becker). For those radio geeks out there though, it is interesting to note that the Becker will pick up long wave (153-282 KHz) and short wave (5800-6250 KHz). You can pick up some stuff from other continents on those bands. Not very useful, but an interesting side note.

Deputydog, I was originally planning to buy a cheaper aftermarket MP3 player instead of the Becker since they cost about one quarter of the cost. I thought paying that much for a radio was an overkill. However, I couldn't find something which would maintain the OEM look and dashboard consistency like the Becker does, and I also wasn't too excited about putting a Japanese radio in the car. So originally I only ordered it for superfiscial reasons. However, now that I got to use it, I have to say that it is significantly better than most of what I've seen in the Sony/Alpine/Pioneer/Clarion type range, mostly because of its complete dot matrix display which allows for true flexibility in display and longer text instead of the regular Japenese ones which can only display 8 characters at a time and flash you wish a zillion colors to distract you from the fact that all those colors don't mean anything. Only downside to the Becker is the cost, but I think is definitely worth it in a car with the cost of a 996. Everything about it is higher quality which you can feel in the ***** and buttons. You won't get any plastic squeeks.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Matterhorn, Thanks much for the frequency info. I love these units!

Quick Reply: Finally my solution to MP3s