Sponsored by:

PCCM plus Functionality Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 09:09 AM
Brad85
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCCM plus Functionality Problem

PCCM plus question. Had this installed in 2004 996. I get this message if I try to do anything in settings. Can’t do anything related to phone or set up Bluetooth. Any ideas as to what’s going on? Car is in neutral, parking brake is on. If I hit hide and try and continue, comes right back on. It obviously thinks the car is moving. Anyone had this happen?

Old 04-13-2021, 12:37 PM
keviha
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 33 Posts

This link might help....around page 3 or so. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...cm-plus-3.html

Good luck.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:54 PM
Brad85
6th Gear

Thanks, I saw that one. It's the same issue but no solution mentioned. Someone suggested a complete reset by disconnecting the battery but no mention of if that actually worked...
Old 04-15-2021, 09:25 PM
mark_mia
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Brad85 - same problem with my PCCM plus head unit - everything worked, easy install on a 996TT - but the "traffic safety" warning shows whenever trying to use settings/GPS. I emailed Porsche - they say it's a dealer issue - and the dealer has no idea what to do with a faulty unit (no one takes ownership of the problem). I plan to return my entire unit - total pain given I already installed it - and then order a new unit. The dealer wanted to charge a service/diagnostics fee to "look" at the unit ... to which I replied ... why am I paying to diagnose a brand new piece of equipment??

I think the problem is that Porsche wanted to sell this "upgrade" direct to classic owners - the primary market - but tried to hedge by implying you may need a dealer if you have any issues with installation (or a defective unit). Either way, Porsche needs to stand behind the units and replace defective units. I'll post an update once I complete the return and receive a new (working) head unit.
The following 3 users liked this post by mark_mia:
arcangely2k (07-18-2023), Brad85 (04-21-2021), MichaelReasoner (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 09:57 PM
MichaelReasoner
2nd Gear

I'm installing my single DIN PCCM in my 87 3.2. Same issue. I didn't buy navigation so I can't check to see if the GPS antennae is picking up the satellites (if that is even how the unit detects if the car is moving or not).
Sent an email just now to the dealer I bought the radio from (online).

looking forward to someone figuring this out.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:20 PM
mark_mia
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, it seems logical the GPS would trigger the "traffic safety" message when the car is moving. However, my GPS works - tracks/locates on the native "maps" app when parked and tracks on the map with movement. So the GPS does not seem to be a limiting factor in terms of the "traffic safety" warning and movement per GPS (or lack thereof). I highly encourage anyone with issues to contact Porsche. At a minimum, they need to provide some level of tech support for the unit (and these bugs/issues) to dealers/owners/installers. The manufacturer of the actual unit (never disclosed) obviously has the ability to provide some type of documentation related to known issues as well. Best case scenario - they (manufacturer) built the unit with the ability to update the firmware and they can solve some of these issues if they are software/firmware related. It's also very likely there is a way to access the software to make edits - or perhaps disable certain functions/warnings so the bug does not limit the utility of the device.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:15 AM
p73rs
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not have this particular problem. However, I have other problems, very likely related to the software/firmware and the implementation of the unit. What I mean by the implementation is that PCCM or PCCM plus can be installed in many variations of Porsche Classic cars, from the basic power and speaker connections only to the digital connection (MOST).

I have been pushing for some software update with the dealer and Porsche Cars North America. So far, there are no solutions. Nobody is interested in taking care of the situation.

I agree that they need to know there are problems with their product.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:38 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_mia
I highly encourage anyone with issues to contact Porsche. At a minimum, they need to provide some level of tech support for the unit (and these bugs/issues) to dealers/owners/installers. The manufacturer of the actual unit (never disclosed) obviously has the ability to provide some type of documentation related to known issues as well. Best case scenario - they (manufacturer) built the unit with the ability to update the firmware and they can solve some of these issues if they are software/firmware related. It's also very likely there is a way to access the software to make edits - or perhaps disable certain functions/warnings so the bug does not limit the utility of the device.
I have been told by an installer I contacted that the manufacterer is a Chinese company. If you are willing, it may be possible to find out who if you remove the case. There might be tags or a stamp inside to indicate the manufacterer.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:22 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

I saw this in another forum:

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1595068
Old 05-04-2021, 01:34 PM
p73rs
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jim010
Thank you very much for this. I am having the same problems as theirs. One of the people did the software update, and it sounds like the problems still exist. The OS version number after the update is also posted. It is 25.0.0.6.1.0.1.1. Mine has the original software with the same OS version number. So, I am wondering whether it is the re-install of the same software to make sure the installation or this is actually the update.

I asked the dealers (more than one) and Porsche Cars North America about the OS version number for the current one or the latest. Not surprisingly, nobody knows, just like anything else.

There is one thing we need to be aware. They are mainly talking about the ROW (Rest of World) cars. Mine is the USA car. The situation could be little different.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:45 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 414 Posts

Wow, reading this has sure turned me off totally to getting the PCCM+. Maybe in a year or so Porsche will get their act together...
Old 05-04-2021, 02:27 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

More likely, Porsche will discontinue this, rather than try to deal with it.

All I can suggest is to crack it open to look for clues as to who the manufacterer is.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:34 PM
Vampster 986
5th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Hi All, I am the OP of the 911UK post. I found the fix for this issue. Go to setting, down to factory reset and hold the option for 10 seconds, this will give you access to the hidden menu that lets you mess with factory settings, press last page and there's an option on the top right that says NHTSA:ON, touch this to turn it off and it removes the safety message that stops you accessing menus when the car is moving. Here's a video I made a while ago to get you to the right screen. at 0.29 is the screen with the option.
The following 6 users liked this post by Vampster 986:
Dranon (07-25-2021), fazm (07-10-2023), galavanter (05-26-2022), plpete84 (07-22-2021), robert997 (03-13-2024), ZuffenZeus (07-23-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-23-2021, 12:57 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts

All the newer head units have these nannies to prevent accessing settings while moving. It’s usually the parking brake or parking brake plus foot brake. Then everyone just started bypassing the parking brake signal with constant current. The manufacturers got wise, and so require the unit to sense the parking brake go off then on. One solution to that is called microbypass which constantly toggles the current on and off. I wonder how many of these cases are just bad installation where the parking brake is not properly wired in. Taking the brake off and then on again to see if it changes things is a way to test. Anyway, it’s pretty cool Porsche allowed a complete override of this “feature” as most don’t.

Last edited by jayzbird; 07-23-2021 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-20-2022, 02:46 PM
Mike Blaszczak
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_mia
I'll post an update once I complete the return and receive a new (working) head unit.
Did you ever get to the bottom of this, Mark? I'm in the same boat: head unit seems to work fine, except that it always thinks it is in motion so navigation can't be used and the settings menu isn't accessible, either.

It's hard to call this situation "working", since substantial features aren't available.

LATER: OMG, I figured it out. I had the four-pin microphone plug in the wrong connector on the back. Setting that right got everything working.

Last edited by Mike Blaszczak; 11-21-2022 at 12:23 AM.

Quick Reply: PCCM plus Functionality Problem