Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Dealer have to sell at advertised price?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 04:08 PM
wsrgklt
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

I didn’t have to bring up the law at all. Walking away on Saturday was enough to make them reconsider. The sales manager called me the minute the dealer opened today (they’re closed on Sundays here). I let his call bounce and texted him my offer. Lo and behold he agreed to it.

Of course that wasn’t the end of the games. He said he had someone else there making on offer (10 minutes after they opened on a Monday) and needed me to give him a deposit to stop the other deal. I let him know I would be back tomorrow with with my wife so she can drive it and then we would complete the deal, but I understood if he had another deal.

It’s snowing now - I have a feeling the car will still be there tomorrow.

I highly recommend negotiating with the dealer over text. You have so much more time to consider your responses, and it’s easier to just ignore all the pressure tactics. This is the only way I will do this in the future.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:12 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 800 Likes on 510 Posts

I realize dealerships take a lot of flack for being slimy and this one seem to be one that adds to that determination. Be careful.
Originally Posted by wsrgklt
I didn’t have to bring up the law at all. Walking away on Saturday was enough to make them reconsider. The sales manager called me the minute the dealer opened today (they’re closed on Sundays here). I let his call bounce and texted him my offer. Lo and behold he agreed to it.

Of course that wasn’t the end of the games. He said he had someone else there making on offer (10 minutes after they opened on a Monday) and needed me to give him a deposit to stop the other deal. I let him know I would be back tomorrow with with my wife so she can drive it and then we would complete the deal, but I understood if he had another deal.

It’s snowing now - I have a feeling the car will still be there tomorrow.

I highly recommend negotiating with the dealer over text. You have so much more time to consider your responses, and it’s easier to just ignore all the pressure tactics. This is the only way I will do this in the future.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:47 PM
pcolapacker
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by wsrgklt
I agree. In person or even by phone, you're on their turf. I don't care if you're a double Ph.D., you're still at a disadvantage. Hopefully when you pic up the car they won't have added the TruCoat.
My worst dealer story was them refusing to bring back my keys from their test drive of my trade-in after I said no deal. Said the guy who test drove my car left and they didn't know where he put my keys. When I was on the phone with the sheriff's office to report my false imprisonment, the keys were found.
The following 2 users liked this post by pcolapacker:
mjb2448 (03-16-2021), wildbilly32 (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 04:54 PM
Banana S
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolapacker
I agree. In person or even by phone, you're on their turf. I don't care if you're a double Ph.D., you're still at a disadvantage. Hopefully when you pic up the car they won't have added the TruCoat.
Dang it! Beat me to the TruCoat reference! (But, you know, they put that TruCoat on at the factory... )
Old 03-15-2021, 05:01 PM
pcolapacker
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Banana S
Dang it! Beat me to the TruCoat reference! (But, you know, they put that TruCoat on at the factory... )
I can't take credit. SoCall911t posted the video first. I grew up in 'Scansin not Minnesota, but the buyer so well captures that upper midwest personality. Yah der hay!
Old 03-15-2021, 05:04 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

but...but...they took $100 off...sigh.
Originally Posted by Banana S
Old 03-15-2021, 05:45 PM
craigmakes321
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

You can find invoice price on line, then it is just a matter of what percent you are going to give them as profit. <3%. Dealers get a "holdback" from manufacturers for each car they sell. At certain times of the year and with some makes you can get the car at invoice. The dealer still makes money on the holdback, and their allotment of cars for the next year from the manufacturer increase with the sale.

Dealers make more money on servicing the cars than on selling the cars. The more they sell, the more servicing $ they earn, so they are motivated.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:14 PM
wsrgklt
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by craigmakes321
You can find invoice price on line, then it is just a matter of what percent you are going to give them as profit. <3%. Dealers get a "holdback" from manufacturers for each car they sell. At certain times of the year and with some makes you can get the car at invoice. The dealer still makes money on the holdback, and their allotment of cars for the next year from the manufacturer increase with the sale.

Dealers make more money on servicing the cars than on selling the cars. The more they sell, the more servicing $ they earn, so they are motivated.
Buying new cars is a much simpler process. Buying a used car, even a relatively new one from the brand’s dealership, is a way different game.

I will be careful with these guys if I proceed with the deal, but I will be servicing it at a different dealer. The Alfa dealer closest to me is also a Rolls/Bentley/Lamborghini dealer and I have the owner’s cell number. I espect better treatment there.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:17 PM
smilin
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 152 Posts

i hope that the offer that you texted included an “adjustment” for their BS
Old 03-15-2021, 07:31 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

Walk. When I bought my CPO MB E class, when the salesman brought out the contract, the first thing I did was to cross out the doc fee. There is no such thing. It is called overhead. As for the price, the only legit add one would be actual motor vehicle fees and sales tax.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:25 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,778 Likes on 1,113 Posts

I hate most used car dealers, especially the smaller ones. Games, games, games.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:03 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

I agree. Before I bought the Pcar a local used car outfit had a 350Z Nismo and I always wanted to drive one. Got some info on it online including a free CarFax and saw that it was a bank repossession. I didn't care as I just wanted to drive it. Went on a Saturday(mistake number one). When I got there the place was packed and I didn't leave(mistake number two). This glad-handing high pressure dude met me before I even got out of my car, a 300ZX, telling me there was a big sale on and there was a sales staff from out of town to help and I still didn't leave(mistake number 3). He was wheeling and dealing for my car before I even spoke and still...well you get the picture. Drove the Nismo fast but rode like a buckboard in sport setting. When I came back they were on me like flies on cow dung. I listened to their blathering long enough for them to take a break to breathe at which time I said "I appreciate you letting me drive the Nismo but I would never buy a repossessed car." The less experienced one said "it's not repossessed" and I told him again it was. He ran off to get "Huggie just like the diaper but not smelly"(did I tell you were slimy?) Huggie came over all indignant telling me that "we never sell repossessed cars." I told it was and he got all upset saying I was wrong. I pulled the CarFax out and gave it to them which had the bank action highlighted. While they acted surprised I told them "see ya later!" and walked out.

I hate the car sales dance especially after reading a book in the 80's titled "Don't Get Taken Every Time" since then the wife will not go with me to deal on a car as I apparently embarrass her. Some dealerships are straight up crooks some are not.

Buyer beware indeed...
Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
Old 03-16-2021, 03:50 PM
Billup
Three Wheelin'

Received 611 Likes on 337 Posts

They all suck. I bought my used Colorado back in October from a Dodge stealership. The ******** tried to tack on a $600 for "options". I of course asked what options that was, he said the Z71 package. I told him to **** off because that was on the car when it rolled off the assembly line. When I got up to leave they took it off. Of course there were other shady line items but since I drive my dailys into the ground around 300k miles, it was due.

Dealerships suck, but sometimes it's easier than dealing with private parties also. Double edge sword sometimes.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:12 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
I hate the car sales dance especially after reading a book in the 80's titled "Don't Get Taken Every Time" since then the wife will not go with me to deal on a car as I apparently embarrass her. Some dealerships are straight up crooks some are not.

Buyer beware indeed...
Originally Posted by Billup
They all suck. I bought my used Colorado back in October from a Dodge stealership. The ******** tried to tack on a $600 for "options". I of course asked what options that was, he said the Z71 package. I told him to **** off because that was on the car when it rolled off the assembly line. When I got up to leave they took it off. Of course there were other shady line items but since I drive my dailys into the ground around 300k miles, it was due.

Dealerships suck, but sometimes it's easier than dealing with private parties also. Double edge sword sometimes.
Exactly why people purchase cars from online companies like Carvana and Carmax.. they are a very popular choice these days because of the nickel and diming that brick and mortar dealerships try to pull over on customers.

Again, I say to all those that buy used cars from dealerships... make a "drive-out" offer and then leave the ball in their court. If they reject... walkout.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:15 PM
Joel987
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

I wonder how many thousands of dollars are left on the table by stupid sales departments. I went with my adult daughter to look at a used Corolla at one dealer where a relative works in the parts dept. Car was not certified used although it was a 2017 with 24k on the clock. Drove it and the brakes sucked. Looking at the front rotors I see a big lip, so obviously worn a bit. I told the sales rep it needed brakes all around and tires (2 mismatched). Other than that the car was very clean, title search showed it lived most of its life in VT and NH. I started to wonder if this was a fleet car that was not documented or if the PO was a rural mail carrier. Brakes worn out at 24k miles? The stupid sales rep got his sales manager and I showed them both the front rotors. They agreed to change the tires but would not commit to changing the brakes. We walked.

We drove to another Toyota dealer that had no haggle pricing. Same year car with a few more miles (32k), same price, Certified Used - all new brakes, tires, filters. We were in and out of there in 2 hours. Yes, the doc fee was $500, but they gave my daughter $1000 more for her trade than the other dealer, so she ended up with a car in better shape for less money. I still can't believe the other dealer let a sale go over brake pads and rotors.

Quick Reply: Dealer have to sell at advertised price?