Sponsored by:

996 Big Brake Kit Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 10:45 AM
Teilegott
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by circuit.heart
You can* do weird and wacky rotor size combos but you'd need to know exactly how to stagger the pad compound to achieve a correct brake bias. Race pad manufacturers with a wide selection of compounds make it possible (I do it myself), but you have to ask yourself is it worth it on a road car.
I think i stay at 299/318mm and don´t give a S**t about a better look plus a better Performance (which i dont need at all for a street car).

I will take Brembo Discs and Pads all around, refresh the calipers and drive with that combination.
Old 01-14-2024, 10:46 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,533 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Teilegott
No, you get me wrong. My plan was, to UPGRADE my Brake to 350/330mm. But...the 350 wont fit underneth my rims.
Gotcha. Take a look at the Girodisc floating hat kit for the 996.
The following users liked this post:
Teilegott (01-14-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 04:30 PM
Siberian14
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Funny Thing....

Originally Posted by GC996
Here is a safety first message.
...snip....

The great thing about the Porsche market is you can put just about anything up for sale and sell it. That includes mistakes you made with purchases and i have made a million of them.
Anyone interested in 19" crab-claw wheels? I may have a set in a month or so, maybe sell off or trade for a set of 18s. Dunno, just askin' to see if there is interest. Send PM if you have some interest and wish to remain anonymous.

YMMV
Old 05-11-2024, 01:41 PM
Siberian14
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin996rsr
You're pretty much spot on with all of your points. The stock calipers are retained and are secured using longer bolts. The diameter of the rotor has increased, and the caliper is further from the centre of rotation, giving it a greater mechanical advantage. However, the braking power increase this confers is modest, perhaps around 15%. (I did the calculations way back and don't have that notepad to hand, otherwise I'd give the calculation used). The bigger rotor does give a significant advantage in cooling, fending off fade for longer, and in many systems preventing it entirely. ...snip...

if you shop around for cheaper discs. Please note I haven't so far found any of the cheaper discs to give a sub-standard performance, so please don't assume that in this area paying cheap means paying twice.
I do not understand how a flat-stepped piece of metal with a hole on the each end-step is going to bolt to a 130mm-hole caliper. Would actually 4 holes be needed, 2 @ 130mm to bolt the adapter to its original mounting place, and 2 more to bolt the caliper to its "new" farther away from center position to fit a larger diameter rotor? Or... does a 350mm rotor still fit in the standard caliper that had a 318mm X 28mm rotor?

In other search I found that a 2015 Panamera S rear rotor is 350mm X 28mm. They look fairly inexpensive, ~$250 each. Would this rotor fit your circular adapter? Rotors suggested from RockAuto are "Out of Stock" and do not seem to be available any more. The problem finding a rotor is P-part nos. are just that, no description of dimensions to see what will/won't fit. Adding an 8mm spacer is not a lot - is that the thickness of the circular adapter? Has anyone found a cross-drilled vented rotor similar to the standard S/Turbo rotors?

Are different wheel bolts needed or replaced with wheel studs (as in the air-cooled P cars)?

Can you post a photo of your Big Brake Kit (BBK) ? Confused. Maybe TexSquirril has answers?

OK, I JUST NOW "found" Martin Hill BBK on eBay. Good grief, sometimes internet is annoying on what it finds/does-not-find. Caliper adapters do have 4 bolt holes. How does the circular rotor adapter work?
Why are the 4 holes same distance apart 130mm if you use your original caliper? - like on 997 C4?

Last edited by Siberian14; 05-11-2024 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2024, 01:45 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,298 Likes on 1,729 Posts

Yes u use your factory caliper so u just need a spacer with a longer bolt or stud kit. Girodisc sells the longer stud kit. U can get much cheaper sebro rotors for the panamara.
Old 05-11-2024, 01:46 PM
hardtailer
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 192 Posts

Calipers are radially mounted as standard so to mount the caliper further outboard in order to fit a larger diameter brake disk, all you need is a spacer of appropriate thickness.
HTH

Edit: jeeper beat me to it 😀

Last edited by hardtailer; 05-11-2024 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-12-2024, 12:54 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Yes, just need the longer bolts and spacers.
I changed to Girodisc rotors in front and rear which came with their own spacers.
I preferred Martin’s spacers in front so I’m using those with the Girodiscs.
I saved significant weight with the Girodiscs over the 997 Turbo/Panamera rotors.
Old 05-12-2024, 01:30 AM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Siberian14
I do not understand how a flat-stepped piece of metal with a hole on the each end-step is going to bolt to a 130mm-hole caliper. Would actually 4 holes be needed, 2 @ 130mm to bolt the adapter to its original mounting place, and 2 more to bolt the caliper to its "new" farther away from center position to fit a larger diameter rotor? Or... does a 350mm rotor still fit in the standard caliper that had a 318mm X 28mm rotor?

In other search I found that a 2015 Panamera S rear rotor is 350mm X 28mm. They look fairly inexpensive, ~$250 each. Would this rotor fit your circular adapter? Rotors suggested from RockAuto are "Out of Stock" and do not seem to be available any more. The problem finding a rotor is P-part nos. are just that, no description of dimensions to see what will/won't fit. Adding an 8mm spacer is not a lot - is that the thickness of the circular adapter? Has anyone found a cross-drilled vented rotor similar to the standard S/Turbo rotors?

Are different wheel bolts needed or replaced with wheel studs (as in the air-cooled P cars)?

Can you post a photo of your Big Brake Kit (BBK) ? Confused. Maybe TexSquirril has answers?

OK, I JUST NOW "found" Martin Hill BBK on eBay. Good grief, sometimes internet is annoying on what it finds/does-not-find. Caliper adapters do have 4 bolt holes. How does the circular rotor adapter work?
Why are the 4 holes same distance apart 130mm if you use your original caliper? - like on 997 C4?

This kit is for using a 6 pot caliper and a 380mm rotor.

The kit in this thread uses the stock caliper with a 350mm rotor. It uses a spacer on the caliper and on the hub that centers the rotor.

giro only needs the caliper spacer.

Last edited by hbdunn; 05-12-2024 at 01:32 AM.

Quick Reply: 996 Big Brake Kit Review