996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche Used Car Certification

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004 | 12:25 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Default Porsche Used Car Certification

Anyone know if you local porsche dealer can/will certify a car you already own so you can extend the Porsche warr 2 more years and up to 100k miles? If so how much does it cost? Are there any requirements, e.g., car must be newer than '02?

TIA
Old 03-25-2004 | 01:21 AM
Speed
Pro

I asked my dealer (Storms Motors in Southampton) that very same question. At the moment the answer is no but he thinks Porsche will soon be offering extended warranties for existing owners because Audi just introduced such a program and Porsche often follows in Audi's footsteps in matters of this sort.
Old 03-25-2004 | 09:17 AM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Speed, thanks for the scoop. I've still got about a year left...so as long as they do in the next year....
Old 03-26-2004 | 05:49 PM
GBG
Pro

TIA:

Some dealers-- depending on their willingness to please-- will do a paper shuffle and buy the car from you, certify it to give it the extended warranty, and then sell it back to you for the same price plus the cost of the warranty. This allows them to do the certification on a car that they "own." As I understand it, a dealership can only certify a car that it owns.
Old 03-26-2004 | 05:50 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info....
Hmmm, I'm leasing so I wonder how that would work...
Old 03-26-2004 | 06:01 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

If they decide to work with you on this, and I would be surprised if they do, you would probably have to pay for the inspection (about $500) and any repairs that are necessary to bring the car to spec ($$). In addition, the dealer pays approximately $1,500 to Porsche for the certification, which you would also have to pay. Then there is the issue that if they "buy" the car from you and you "buy" it back, do you have any sales tax/fees that may arise. It could get expensive......
Old 03-26-2004 | 06:05 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

figure that an aftermarket is like $2,000+. And then you need to worry about them (aftermarket co.) going out of business. So if Porsche offered it for $2500, i'd jump on it...
Old 03-27-2004 | 08:54 AM
OH997
Pro

I did exactly what you are looking to do with a slight twist. I purchased the car from a private party. Prior to titling the car I had the dealer make a paper purchase from the seller and then sell it back to me for the same price I paid. The car had 28,000 miles so it was close to the time for the 30,000 mile service work. I had them perfrom the service, approx $800 and they perfromed the certification inspection at the same time ($270). They then sold the porsche extended warranty to me for list price ($1500). The dealer bent over backward and I can tell you that I will pay the premium necessary to buy my future cars from them.

The one issue that you would have to overcome is sales tax. Since my car was never titled in my name I had not paid tax yet. In the case of a lease that expires prior to the warranty expiration this would be tricky. If you are planning to keep the car at the end of the lease this might be feasible since you would have to pay off the vehicle and any applicable sales tax. Just have the dealer buy the car from you your finance company and then sell it back to you for the same number.

All things being equal I feel much better having a 100,000 mile warranty from Porsche versus third-party.

Quick Reply: Porsche Used Car Certification