996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cancelled the JCW Mini, bought the R32

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 10:04 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a large shoulder pad you're wearing or do you have a super-sized chip on your shoulder?

Perhaps a full-blown therapy session about your woes with BMW and your obsession with the Mini would be of help to you. Both the Mini and the R32 are great cars, but people should be allowed to make their choice without having it irrationally trashed by someone who has not offered one supporting fact to back up his point of view. Do you have any?
Old 03-25-2004, 11:48 AM
BostonMarkC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are really good at talking out of your a$$. Here are the test ratings quoted from Edmunds:

Safety:
All Minis come with four-wheel antilock disc brakes assisted by Electronic Brakeforce Distribution and Cornering Brake Control. The S model also includes traction control, and should you equip either model with the Sport package, you'll get Dynamic Stability Control. Other standard safety features include a flat-tire monitor, side airbags for front occupants and head curtain airbags for the front and rear. The Cooper earned four stars for frontal impacts in NHTSA crash testing and four stars for side impacts involving front occupants. In IIHS frontal offset crash testing, the Cooper earned a "Good" rating (the best) and was named a "Best Pick" among small cars.

On your two other points... MINI has a history of race victories and cutural importance, kind of like Porsche. The R32 began its life as a Rabbit, although clearly the GTI line has evolved and culminated with the wonderful R32.

Also, if small displacement engines are so bad, maybe Porsche should stop giving us (assuing you have a 996) these beautifully engineered Flat-6s and throw a Dodge V10 in the front.

I'm not arguing that the MINI is the greatest car ever, but it bugs me when people express their opinion by calling things POSs or junk and have no data to back up their assertions.

Originally posted by c70Pete
racing for marketing.... hmmm not like BMW they don't... bmw takes it the full country mile... it's not the racing I speak of but the fact they get it into movies and get suckers to buy it because it was in a movie!!!.... what a joke!!!

It's not what I like.. its what is fact... BMW quality ratings suck.... although I do like their cars... save the mini ... it sucks....

the mini has excellent crash ratings... BULL****... show me... the golf has pedigree and the mini doesn't have any... all it has is the problems that I read about over the newsgroups... the R32 has evolution behind it.... and a big motor, not a ****ty little 1.6... you think for the money they can give you sojmething bigger but for the money they sucker you into exactly that : "a mini"

Last edited by BostonMarkC; 03-25-2004 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:29 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Heres some more out of my A$$:

Originally posted by BostonMarkC
You are really good at talking out of your a$$. Here are the test ratings quoted from Edmunds:

the Cooper earned a "Good" rating (the best) and was named a "Best Pick" among small cars.
yes among small cars.... R32 has better safety cause its bigger and tougher

[i]
On your two other points... MINI has a history of race victories and cutural importance, kind of like Porsche. The R32 began its life as a Rabbit, although clearly the GTI line has evolved and culminated with the wonderful R32.
[/B]
Dude, GTI has been around since 1983! and has been the trailblazer of the group for these types of cars... GTI started it all!!!

[i]
Also, if small displacement engines are so bad, maybe Porsche should stop giving us (assuing you have a 996) these beautifully engineered Flat-6s and throw a Dodge V10 in the front.
[/B]
I do have a Silver 996 and the 3.4 litre engine is awesome... 3.4 vs. 1.6 is not comparable... what the f*** are you talking about? what the heck are you going to do with a 1.6?? that things gonna break on ya cause its a crap motor... especially supercharged... VW motors are tough as nails... the VW may have a few glitches in the electrical department and other bs but the motors are great!!!

[i]
I'm not arguing that the MINI is the greatest car ever, but it bugs me when people express their opinion by calling things POSs or junk and have no data to back up their assertions. [/B]

IMHO mini is still a POS -> people who buy one want the attention of driving a "cute" car... still think its a woman's car and a POS.

whatever you say your not gonna change my opinion of the car... although the marketing of the car was brilliant cause were sitting here on a porsche forum and talking about it!

Old 03-25-2004, 01:00 PM
BostonMarkC
Racer

You still provide no evidence that the MINI is a "POS", but we're all entitled to our opinion. I guess we'll just agree to disagree. Not much I can do to change the fact that your bias is causing you to miss out on a great car.

More for me that way

FWIW, the VW is also classified as a "small car" by the testing agencies, and MINIs were around for 20 years before the GTI was even dreamed up.

The rest of use here are talking about these cars b/c they are great cars for the money, not b/c they are marketed well.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:52 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

c70pete,
Even though I think I might agree w/a few of your points in concept, they get lost behind the fact you're being ***. Chill, you're ruining this thread.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:40 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

c70 pete, from your replies it seems as though you lost your virginity in a VW and your mom got killed by a BMW, for 1 reason or another you have made some strong baseless stereotypes. I have a MINI S and it's an excellent car, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about and provide no concise data as to why you feel that way. I've had people tell me they don't like my car and think it's ugly, but that's subjective and I can respect that. Your arguments are on par with an 8th grader's english paper, some of your wisest comments include:

"R32 has better safety cause its bigger and tougher"

excellent reply, you should be a lawyer

"Dude, GTI has been around since 1983! and has been the trailblazer of the group for these types of cars... GTI started it all!!!"

Oh, in that case, since it started it all then it must be the best. Just because someone is 1st on the block doesn't mean it'll stay that way, as a matter of fact it becomes the benchmark for other cars to beat.

"what the heck are you going to do with a 1.6?? that things gonna break on ya cause its a crap motor... especially supercharged..."

It's a crap motor, with forged internals that can handle as much as 300whp on stock internals. As a matter of fact, the Getrag 6-speed box is the weakest point in the drivetrain and gives out long before the motor has any problems.

"IMHO mini is still a POS -> people who buy one want the attention of driving a "cute" car... still think its a woman's car and a POS.

whatever you say your not gonna change my opinion of the car... although the marketing of the car was brilliant cause were sitting here on a porsche forum and talking about it!"

Blah blah blah, we can tell you're an ignorant moron who has a hard-on for VWs from your replies that give NO CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE, just "it sucks cuz I said so"
Old 03-25-2004, 05:00 PM
JakeMate
Racer

c70 pete, I guess I'm a woman because I have a Mini. Somehow, I don't think you'd think so if we met though.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:22 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ZAMIRZ
c70 pete, from your replies it seems as though you lost your virginity in a VW and your mom got killed by a BMW, for 1 reason or another you have made some strong baseless stereotypes. I have a MINI S and it's an excellent car, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about and provide no concise data as to why you feel that way. I've had people tell me they don't like my car and think it's ugly, but that's subjective and I can respect that. Your arguments are on par with an 8th grader's english paper, some of your wisest comments include:

Blah blah blah, we can tell you're an ignorant moron who has a hard-on for VWs from your replies that give NO CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE, just "it sucks cuz I said so"
Hey ZamirZ, your the ignorant moron... you bought the mini-s!!!

why shouldI give you conclusive evidence.... who the f*** are you so I should provide evidence... I have a strong dislike for the car along with many other R32 owners who would never buy one...I was just stating my opinion allong with other facts!. -> yes it is bigger and tougher and will do better than a mini in a crash... that is a fact... if you don't like the way I say it thats your problem not mine.

Also, its ok if somebody doesn't like my car... but for you it seems to be an issue... do you need my approval... I don't like it... for me its the R32 between the two.... you don't have to go analyzing beyond that dude. And yes it does have a feminine quality to it.....
Old 03-25-2004, 05:26 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by JakeMate
c70 pete, I guess I'm a woman because I have a Mini. Somehow, I don't think you'd think so if we met though.
yah... I guess I wouldn't I see your avatar and slogan... your a tough guy... okay I conclude that tough guys drive minis... whatever dude
Old 03-25-2004, 05:29 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

ZERO EVIDENCE to backup your claims, you can't even come up with an NHTSA crash-test comparison between the two that proves your point. You are providing 100% opinion, with ZERO fact. Like I said, your arguments are on par with an 8th graders english paper. There is no issue from my side of the table, I only asked you to provide FACTUAL EVIDENCE of your claims and you cannot do that, which leads me and everyone else here to believe you have a grudge against the car for 1 reason or another and that your opinion (which you are trying to make us believe is fact) is tainted, flawed and invalid. have a nice day.

A list of your claims that you've provided no concrete evidence for:

The R32 is safer, and specifically because it's "bigger and tougher"

The MINI's 1.6 liter motor is going to "break on ya" and specifically, why it is a "crap" motor.

"VW motors are tough as nails"

Last edited by ZAMIRZ; 03-25-2004 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:04 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ZAMIRZ

A list of your claims that you've provided no concrete evidence for:

The R32 is safer, and specifically because it's "bigger and tougher"

The MINI's 1.6 liter motor is going to "break on ya" and specifically, why it is a "crap" motor.

"VW motors are tough as nails"

well... if I knew I was going to be in a crash... I'd pick the R32... sure the mini has good crash rating... and I've seen that published a few times... its kind of necessary to tout this because that is one of the concerns highest on the list when you buy a mini ya know - "will the tin can hold up?"

I think I would rather be in the R32 and I know there are those would agree with me on that one... no I don't have conclusive testing #'s and I'm not gonna provide any... common sense tells me that that bigger stronger car will shield its passengers more effectively than the mini.

1.6 motor is small.... thats why it needs a supercharger... and forced induction motors do have long term reliability problems.... you quoted 300WHP... ok... for how long... I can get the same out of my Volvo C70... (as there are people who are getting thse HP figures) but for how long!!!

the mini-s is new... the Golf has pedigree behind it and has been built by the same company for the last 20 years, and has large following... my respect goes to the R32

no doubt the mini is here to stay.. based on how quickly it penetrated the market there are those who love it... and it will evolve... I wouldn't buy one based on many other opinions I have about the car that I'll refrain from articulating at this time.

VW are tough motors ask anybody who's had one... their motors are great... now thats not to say the CAR itself is not without problems he he...

Old 03-26-2004, 12:40 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

common sense tells me that that bigger stronger car will shield its passengers more effectively than the mini.

Not so - check government figures

1.6 motor is small.... thats why it needs a supercharger... and forced induction motors do have long term reliability problems

True if not engineered properly

the mini-s is new

False: the Mini was launched in 1959...a good few years before the 911. The Golf wasn't launched (let alone the GTi) until 1972

VW are tough motors ask anybody who's had one

False - check JD Power for Golf IV and Jetta IV
Old 03-26-2004, 04:27 AM
MelloYellow
Intermediate

Wow, this thread really went into the dumps. Is the original Mini not the most sold car in the world? Or maybe i'm thinking of the original beetle?

Perhaps Pete was alluding to the Mini S, and not just the Mini. It cannot be argued that the Mini is simply not the same vehicle it was 20+ years ago prior to bmw's recent takeover. In order to sustain bmw's high quality of safety and prestige engineering, i doubt it was built on the same chassi as the original. The older one's never had any type of forced induction? Please correct me if i'm wrong..

I suppose the only way to finish this is by having an auto-X duel: R32 vs mini.. my money's on the R32.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:31 AM
MelloYellow
Intermediate

Originally posted by c70Pete

common sense tells me that that bigger stronger car will shield its passengers more effectively than the mini.
Than you didn't see the dateline videos of the F150 crashing into a wall going 30mph. They couldn't even get the dummy out, it would have taken the jaws of life. The Toyota, on the otherhand, did great. This is a classic example to show how far engineering can go, and how little common sense you have.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:16 AM
NiveK
Racer

you know i like going to the bmw z3 coupe forums and starting a dumb thread just to see who blows up, but this thread really beats them all, because i was just giving some info on a purchase i made and everyone blew up , i need to post another thread but im afraid you guys might have to beat the stuffins out of each other

Quick Reply: Cancelled the JCW Mini, bought the R32