Sponsored by:

Cancelled the JCW Mini, bought the R32

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by MelloYellow
Than you didn't see the dateline videos of the F150 crashing into a wall going 30mph. They couldn't even get the dummy out, it would have taken the jaws of life. The Toyota, on the otherhand, did great. This is a classic example to show how far engineering can go, and how little common sense you have.
F150 - well thats American trash for ya......

also I don't know anybody who crash their car into a wall technically speaking if an F150 hits you from behind your gonna move cause its got a ton of weight and their is a concept called "weight-transfer"

now if you get hit by a mini from behind.. yah that simulates running it into a brick wall

now... what about getting t-boned @50 MPH.. would you rather be in the mini or in the F150... I think your "common sense" would fail you then, as well as the mini!
Old 03-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Le Chef
common sense tells me that that bigger stronger car will shield its passengers more effectively than the mini.

Not so - check government figures
I'll do that...

[i]
1.6 motor is small.... thats why it needs a supercharger... and forced induction motors do have long term reliability problems
True if not engineered properly

[/B]
... wait and see on this one... lets see how many "blow"

[i]
the mini-s is new

False: the Mini was launched in 1959...a good few years before the 911. The Golf wasn't launched (let alone the GTi) until 1972
[/B]
no ... it is NEW... BMW makes it now.. its new for BMW... the 1959 mini was an econobox... the GTI on the other hand was sporty-economy

[i]
VW are tough motors ask anybody who's had one

False - check JD Power for Golf IV and Jetta IV [/B]
ok.. they had some problems... but doesn't mean VW are all crap!!
Old 03-26-2004, 11:32 AM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the risk of weighing in here, I've driven my Mini S for 15K.
Not a defect or single problem..a slight rattle that was fixed at 12K service.
A few months ago I was rear ended , sitting in traffic. Hit hard enough that the car that hit me was undrivable,
and I was driven into the car in front of me. I got out expecting to see a disaster.
A minor scratch in the bumper cover, slight dent in the front bumper,and a bent exhaust.
I was hit hard enough that the exhaust was driven into the battery box, bending that pretty well also.
As for the cost comparison between vehicles, the works kit @ 5K plus is a non factor.
Spend $1,200-1,500 on aftermarket parts and get that puppy going.
perry
Old 03-26-2004, 02:48 PM
safetywork
Instructor

I've heard the "Works" Mini S is sort of hard to pass (on the track.... of course). Haven't heard any issues from friends who own one. At least not like the M3's oil starvation issues or our (996) RMS'. From what I've heard the Mini S AND the R32 are two great cars. Haven't heard too much on reliability on the R32 though, they just came out. A friend just picked one up.... we'll see.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:02 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is the "works" kit? can i get a list of components that are in it? what about HP increases? does it include any suspension changes?

EDIT: never mind, i found this article on it:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/030417-8.htm
Old 03-27-2004, 12:58 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Given the reliability of VWs recently, I'm not so sure I'd pony up any money on a VW (inclusive of Audi). Although the VR6 is a sweet motor...I have a 95 VR6 that I drive, but when I get back, it's going to be given up in favor of japanese car. As cars get more complex, they get less 'reliable' because of inherent complexities. The mini falls under the same category in my book.

An acquaintance has a Mini-S. Falling apart. Another friend has a VW Jetta...falling apart. I'll stick to my Porsche, because with a year's worth of ownership, it's visited the dealer a grand total of ZERO times. It's more reliable than my Audi.

Safer? I can't find a god damn single crash test for the 996. Anyone have that data?
Old 03-27-2004, 01:30 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by jyoteen
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Given the reliability of VWs recently, I'm not so sure I'd pony up any money on a VW (inclusive of Audi). Although the VR6 is a sweet motor...I have a 95 VR6 that I drive, but when I get back, it's going to be given up in favor of japanese car. As cars get more complex, they get less 'reliable' because of inherent complexities. The mini falls under the same category in my book.

An acquaintance has a Mini-S. Falling apart. Another friend has a VW Jetta...falling apart. I'll stick to my Porsche, because with a year's worth of ownership, it's visited the dealer a grand total of ZERO times. It's more reliable than my Audi.

Safer? I can't find a god damn single crash test for the 996. Anyone have that data?
Admitedly, VW quality is not at the high standards it use to be and they know they have some issues... although I knowof many who own them and are very happy... AUDI... well why would you buy an audi... they've allways been **** cars from the start...!! for that kind of money just stick with the VW... reliability sucks... everybody I know who has one says the quality is lacking... heaven forbid you buy one of those beautiful Audi A8L

the mini-s I expected to fall apart... BMW builds it.....

Japanese cars have the best reliability (and Porsche 911's) I use to own a 1992 MR2 Turbo that was modified and we got together with all the other owners and drove the **** out of them and the cars never complained!!

cheers
Peter
Old 03-27-2004, 03:10 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

What bothers me with the mini is how little space between rear bumper to rear passenger. I hate to be the one in the rear seat with an hummer h2 slamming me. But I do like the size and its a definite advantage on the track. Maybe mini will have an M-variant(take the old e36 m3 motor if it fits maybe even the e30 m3 motor). But I still take the R32 over the existing Mini S. Regards. Mike
Old 03-27-2004, 07:19 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

OK, Jyoteen, what are you repacing the Jetta with?
Old 03-28-2004, 06:32 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fun thread! I'll just add my personal observations...

I have a 98 New Beetle with the same suspension and 4-Motion setup that the R32 has and it has the 2.8L VR6 with a nice turbo for about 380HP. I also had a MINI Couper S with some mods that took it 200HP and a nice suspension. Took both to the race track and there is no question that the MINI walks all over the Beetle (basically the same car as the GTI/R32 with different body) so I have hard time imaging that the R32 in stock form drives better than a stock MINI S; the 700+ weight penalty alone is big disadvantage for the R32.

On the other hand, despite tearing apart my New Beetle it has been quite reliable. The MINI S on the other hand was flatbedded twice in the 6 months that I owned it. There are LOTS of issues with the MINI. I steer everyone away from them and tell them to get a GTI instead!

They are both fun cars and offer rather different personalities and utility. I'd take the R32 over MINI S; and yes, I'd send it to HPA Motorsports to pump it to 550HP (same company that did my Beetle).

As expected, both are leagues behind a P-Car!

Here is a link to my former MINI (check out the mods and in-car track footage . MINI Page
Old 03-29-2004, 03:09 AM
MelloYellow
Intermediate

Originally posted by c70Pete

now... what about getting t-boned @50 MPH.. would you rather be in the mini or in the F150... I think your "common sense" would fail you then, as well as the mini!
Are you kidding me? If the Mini has side impact airbags, like any other bmw, as well as my Golf, than yes I would rather be in the Mini.

If the huge engine isn't enough to stop any impact in the cabin going 30, what makes you think you are any safer behind the door of an F150 going 50? Now, a Toyota truck on the otherhand, maybe.

But bottom line, there's a reason there's such a thing as crash-ratings
Old 03-29-2004, 04:16 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Pete, I think the MINI quality is hit and miss. I guess I lucked out and got a hit, because the only problems so far (at approximately 6,000 miles here, and most recently some hard canyon carving) are "fading" of the black fenders and a rattle from the hatch lock. Knock on wood, I haven't had any mechanical issues or cold-start problems and I find myself driving it more often than my 911SC .

BTW, love the Beetle, that's some wild work you've done to it. My father had a black beetle daily driver, it was the bigger naturally aspirated 4-cylinder and that thing was a lot of fun with excellent visibility. Unfortunately, I felt the car just didn't have the directness and was a little too soft, I still love 'em though and wouldn't mind a nice charcoal Turbo S.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:14 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by MelloYellow
Are you kidding me? If the Mini has side impact airbags, like any other bmw, as well as my Golf, than yes I would rather be in the Mini.

If the huge engine isn't enough to stop any impact in the cabin going 30, what makes you think you are any safer behind the door of an F150 going 50? Now, a Toyota truck on the otherhand, maybe.

But bottom line, there's a reason there's such a thing as crash-ratings
I won't respond to the above... your answer makes no sense to me...

regarding crash tests... lets see the crash-ratings for the mini... the mini is the obvious underdog here... so lets see them... your telling me that a huge truck like the F150 will outperform the mini in a crashtest... BULLLLLLLLL**** I don't bye it... show me the crash tests...
Old 03-29-2004, 01:28 PM
BostonMarkC
Racer

I ALREADY SHOWED YOU THE CRASH TESTS IN THIS VERY THREAD!!!

As a side note, someone on one of the MINI forums rolled his car last week at 50MPH...and walked away.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:12 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

as for VW quality, i had a '99 passat with the 1.8L turbo and i never had any problems with it. of course i only drove it through 38K miles before i sold it, but i had zero warranty work, and zero problems. the car was bulletproof, and really really fun to drive, never mind very nice looking IMHO. the 5 spd in that car was as smooth (or maybe smoother) than the 6 spd in my C4, and in general it was a ton of fun to drive. plus the interior on the car was really nice, probably nicer than my C4.

Quick Reply: Cancelled the JCW Mini, bought the R32