Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: update poll on rms leaks--please report your current status--include model yr & miles
no rms leak
60.93%
rms leak in first 2000 mi
2.15%
rms leak in first 5000 mi
3.58%
rms leak in first 10000 mi
8.96%
rms leak in first 15000 mi
4.66%
rms leak in first 20000 mi
4.66%
rms leak in first 25000 mi
5.73%
rms leak after 30000 mi
6.81%
more than 1 rms leak
5.38%
rms leak required engine replacement
2.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

update poll for rms leaks--please report your status including mileage and model year

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004 | 03:01 PM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LVDell
50% of what porsche people? Rennlist supporters?

50% of people attracted to post in a thread about RMS leaks. This is highly biased - especially in a forum for enthusiasts.

For me? Never had a single problem since owning the car, which is out of warranty. Also no history of ever having any problems.
Old 09-15-2004 | 06:02 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Steve (I was being rhetorical though).

By the way, did you get the wife's MCS yet (I remember in a thread recently you were waiting for it to be delivered). Thought about picking one up as a DD.
Old 09-15-2004 | 06:14 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

LVDell,

Thank god, finally someone who makes sense.
Old 09-15-2004 | 06:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Old 09-16-2004 | 10:30 AM
WTM
AutoX

1999 C4 Tip'. 27,000 miles a few problems fixed but no RMS issue......yet.

Will
Old 09-16-2004 | 07:23 PM
DCM
Cruisin'

25,000 on 99 C2 cab, no problems.
Old 09-16-2004 | 09:56 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Surf Twang
Dell, I don't think you would need to sample the entire 986/996 population for a statistically significant result. I consulted my Six Sigma sample size table and using "typical" risk and discrimination levels wouldn't you be able to get statisitically accurate results with a sample size of 1119 for a convidence interval or 322 for hypothesis testing?
Forget samplings, assumptions - etc.. Can't the records of PCNA be called for by a US court: for the number of times they were reimbursed for the repair.
Old 09-17-2004 | 01:25 AM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

stevo

approximately 200 996 owners have responded to this poll. i'll bet that this is nearly the entire group of 996 owners present in this forum.

i don't see why enthusiasts should have more rms leaks than any other 996 owners.

i am particularly concerned about the 13+% that develop rms leaks after 25,000 mi. i have never had a an rms problem in 38,000 mi but it appears that 996 owners are never completely out of the woods regarding rms problems.

if only in order to keep up resale values, not to mention customer relations, i believe that porsche should offer an extended warranty to all 996 owners for 100,000 mi. bmw did this for m3 owners when it became clear that their gearboxes were failing. why not porsche? perhaps i will start a poll regarding such an extended warranty next...
Old 09-17-2004 | 07:14 AM
munro86
Racer

Ignacio,
I think you've hit on an important point here. The statisticians have already slammed the validity of this poll, but although this forum is a subset of the total category of 996/Boxster owners, I don't believe the actual total group would seriously dent the results obtained so far.Granted not all owners are represented here,but why are people suggesting this group significantly skews the results? When I first took my 996 to the Porsche service centre, I immediatley asked what was the prevalence of RMS problems that you have seen here? Without hesitating he said: "40 to 50%" I said: "Seriously, 40-50% of 996's you've serviced here have had their RMS repaired?" He said: "Yep". So from this subset the same results are obtained as we have had here.So your suggestion that Porsche should provide any extended warranty is certainly not an outlandish one. If the poll delivered a result of say 5-10%,then it would be within exceptable limits, but its not, and something must be done about it.
Old 09-17-2004 | 12:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I'm done (as I am sure SurfTwang is also) trying to explain to some as to WHY these assumptions are not representatve. Actually, RMS could be worse (or better) than we see here--we just don't know without looking at PCNA's numbers.

Remember, there is also no way of verifying what cars people drive on this board (yes some people do lie), prevalenve of RMS problems, only voted once, voted correctly, etc, etc, etc. And as for your "40-50%" statement, well that is just hear se...I am sure there are some dealerships that say "very rare" to see a RMS here. understand where we are going with this and the point trying to be made? case in point.

Listen, we haven't "slammed" what ignacio is doing here (actually appluaded it), rather just illustrated what needs to be done if he wants to be taken seriously. Go back and read the post carefully.

Do you really think that approx. 200 responses (not users) is the total 996 group? You would need the moderator to get you that info.

Very entertaining but severely flawed.
Old 09-17-2004 | 02:39 PM
Surf Twang
Instructor

I'm done (as I am sure SurfTwang is also) trying to explain to some as to WHY these assumptions are not representatve. Actually, RMS could be worse (or better) than we see here--we just don't know without looking at PCNA's numbers.

Listen, we haven't "slammed" what ignacio is doing here (actually appluaded it)
Old 09-17-2004 | 04:43 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

" Actually, RMS could be worse (or better)"

Since I have never had an rms leak in all the other cars I have owned for over 50 years; statistical discipline seems irrelevant.

It reminds me of someone who is unemployed reading about a drop in the unemployment rate. Having an rms failure, then reading about statistical methodology seems, hmmmmm.

A group is going to have to hit PAG over the head with a 2X4 to get them to respond in an institutional way. I think general public awareness of Pcar customers and potential customers, is the 2X4.

Old 09-17-2004 | 10:19 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Us Porsche 996/986 owners can guess all day long.

Porsche has the exact numbers. When something is replaced under a bulletin for customers then there is a damage code number on the work order.

For example. The front trunk latch on the early Boxsters and 996s had a problem because of the switch in the latch So, if your trunk light or alarm had a problem due to the switch then the Damage Code is 5517 044 002. Damage Code is what Porsche calls it. That is how your local dealer gets paid by PAG/PCNA for labor and parts. Your local dealer does not get paid because it replace some switch on some car, and thereafter sends a bill to Porsche for X dollars.

I do not vote in the RMS polls since it is 5 year plus year old info for me. And then the polls do nothing. Porsche has the information in it's hands already. If they do not know how many seals and engines have been replaced over the years, then they are not only the most profitable car company in the world, but the most stupidist.
Old 09-18-2004 | 09:26 AM
munro86
Racer

LV DELL,
Getting a bit precious... "This is a joke" sounds like a slam to me. And whats more saying my notion is severely flawed, is just pure histrionics. I wholeheartedly concur that my assertions are anecdotal, but nevertheless not without credibility. I'm not challenging the substance of your claim, your 100% right from a statistical viewpoint, but the evidence in the subsets cited cannot be blithely disregarded because it doesn't meet some minimum confidence limits. Logically, why would a service manager say 40-50% if it was rubbish? Wouldn't he understate it? The concurrence of both subsets ,I would suggest, is more than just a massive coincidence. I might be not be right on the money, but I get the feeling these figures are close to the real figures( yeh I know feelings aren't worth a cracker).And why would anyone vote in a poll that didn't apply to them? What would be the point of that? I know people lie, but not in this context-what have they to gain? Therefore the figures are representative of this forum.
Old 09-18-2004 | 02:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Did somebody get a thesaurus as a gift recently? Once again (and the last time)...LET ME REPEAT MYSELF....I am on your side but you just need to understand (as TP said) that ONLY PAG/PCNA know for sure how many RMS issues have been addressed and they don't seem to be shaking in their boots. These polls are pure entertainment and nothing more. To get real numbers or numbers that mean anything, you need to get the legal process going. And there is not a lawyer on this planet that will take a web forum poll as evidence to a problem. I am done with this thread.

Good luck in your efforts. I hope the prove successful.

Quick Reply: update poll for rms leaks--please report your status including mileage and model year