Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: update poll on rms leaks--please report your current status--include model yr & miles
no rms leak
60.93%
rms leak in first 2000 mi
2.15%
rms leak in first 5000 mi
3.58%
rms leak in first 10000 mi
8.96%
rms leak in first 15000 mi
4.66%
rms leak in first 20000 mi
4.66%
rms leak in first 25000 mi
5.73%
rms leak after 30000 mi
6.81%
more than 1 rms leak
5.38%
rms leak required engine replacement
2.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

update poll for rms leaks--please report your status including mileage and model year

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 01:15 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2000 996 C2, 47k, not a drop, 97 Boxster 101k, not a drop, also have a 968, 73k and no pinion gear issues...just lucky i suppose
Old 12-07-2004, 06:02 AM
MWHC4S
3rd Gear

Just had the RMS replaced last week at 9800 miles on a 2003 C4S. The service manager mentioned
tolerances vs. seal (product) quality, and told me that the tolerances measured within acceptable parameters and therefore the failure was most likely due to poor quality of the seal. I am hopeful this is true. Otherwise the car is excellent.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:05 PM
geoff w
Advanced

Default I'm in the club now, too

Went to the L A Auto Gallery service department open house a few weeks ago, they put my car up on a rack, and while we the mechanic was pointing out everything to me, he showed me my RMS was leaking. Just under 33K miles, 2001 Boxster 2.7 5 speed. No drops of oil on the ground or other evidence.

Also found cracked oil filler tube, cracked coolant tank and leaking valve covers. RMS replacement going on now at Rusnak Westlake, with the Porsche tool showing a new RMS seal can be used (no replacement engine needed).

The car drove fine, and will be going out of warranty in about 3 months, so the timing couldn't be much better
Old 12-08-2004, 10:03 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish RMS was a safety issue that warrants a recall. It will then be addressed instead of ignored.

IMO, Porsche didn't address RMS issue and chose to develop other vehicles (Cayenne, 997, 987) before fixing an existing problem bc new models generate revenue. That doesn't sit well with me.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:15 PM
GaryAZ
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 180 Posts

2000 C2 - I purchased the car with 20K miles from the local dealership. The service records revealed the RMS had already been replaced before I bought the car. Year and a half later I took the car in for the 30K service (still had 2 months of warranty). They told me they needed to keep the car an extra day to investigate an oil leak. I walked to the garage and saw one drop on the floor. Next day they called to say my new engine would arrive tomorrow (yep RMS leak / out of tolerance). So now my car has 33K miles and the motor has 5K. No further troubles, though I did purchase an extended warranty from the dealer - the one the service advisor recommended.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:56 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

what I question is why a lawyer doesn't file a class action lawsuit against porsche for their negligence in the aspect of continuing to produce a faulty product, fully aware of the problem, and not letting the customers become aware of it or paying to have it repaired at porsche's cost?

they definately know what's going on... just call up porsche customer service and mention RMS leak.. they'll have no idea what you are talking about... trying to sweep the problems under the rug and hope they'll go away... and tell the customer reps to act like it's a rare occurance they don't even know about it...

I would imagine, many out of warranty customers of p-cars wouldn't mind a nice rms refund check from porsche... i'm sure they can pay for it with all the money they are making from these cars now...

any lawyers on this board?
Old 12-11-2004, 10:24 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

I looked at a 2000 Boxster S today on a dealers lot. Not a Porsche dealer. There was oil in the pan behind the engine, but I couldn't tell where it was coming from. The car had 25k miles and there was quite a bit of oil on the pan and covering the transmission housing as well as the rubber piece hanging down from the pan just behind the motor. Any idea if this could be an RMS leak showing up way back there?
Old 12-11-2004, 10:45 PM
RRLOwen
Instructor

Default Change My Vote

You can remove my vote from the no RMS to the RMS leak @22K miles (35K kms.).

I just had mine changed. The service person said - you should be good now - some of these factory seals were not good quality.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:36 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
what I question is why a lawyer doesn't file a class action lawsuit against porsche for their negligence in the aspect of continuing to produce a faulty product, fully aware of the problem, and not letting the customers become aware of it or paying to have it repaired at porsche's cost?
I completely agree.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 12-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There may be light at the end of the tunnel
Old 12-12-2004, 07:48 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Berny, that is to darn funny!

Is this the answer for PAG???
Old 12-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LVDell
Berny, that is to darn funny!

Is this the answer for PAG???
Dunno. But it sure maybe for us owners.
Just to recap: I have posted a pic of the back of my OPC in a prev post where I saw three blown 996 engines out the back (I can repost if you want).
I have also counted 23, yes 23 blown engines out the back of Stratstones of Wilmslow (an OPC in Manchester UK). I saw two 996 engines get dragged out at my Independent on Friday. Someone recently posted on PCGB that they saw 8 blown engines out the back of their OPC. The wierd part is they seem to be openly displaying this scik form of machocism as if to say "We are Porsche, and we are raking the cash out of you suckers and we don;t care if our engines blow up".

Happy days ahead......
Old 12-12-2004, 09:04 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

they should display the blown engines next to the models with the $9000 wooden dash upgrade and the $3000 for the leather stearing wheel upgrades, and so on... heh...

that'll help the "we are porsche, we are raking in the cash" statement...

I always find the porsche option list quite hilarious... one reason I wouldn't buy a new one... the price of some of those options is obscene... when you have made 130,000 vehicles, I don't see how a wooden dash or a leather steering wheel can cost an additional $9000/$3000... handmade... maybe a 1/3 of that... but especially since it's all done by machines now anyways.. theres only one word that can explain the options prices for porsches.. pure ridiculousness and lunacy...

I just imagine a boardroom full of execs laughing everytime someone buys one with those options...
even though mine has those options.. I didn't pay for them.. but the original owner did.. which is ok with me
Old 12-12-2004, 09:20 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

BOB......

FYI...you are little off on your prices. Full Wood is 6000, Full leather is 3000 and Custom Color Full leather is 5000 and the steering wheel in leather is only 1280. YOu can find these numbers in any order guide.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:51 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

not on my 99.. that's the price that i listed for those options on the msrp sticker.. maybe they've come down in recent years, which is good to see...

in terms of the rms issue... it's a very tricky situation, because once porsche admits to any fault within their engines, or rms leading to engine failuire, as soon as "anything" goes wrong with the engines, regardless of mileage, year, warranty, porsche will most likely be responsible for replacing these engine for years to come for every porsche owner... along with compensating every replacement engine, rms, etc.. that has ever taken place. a VERY costly and devastating blow to the company... they know what's happening, the execs, simply are trying to make as much money as they can, while they still can... the future of porsche.. who knows...

Like I said before.. it's just a matter of time before it blows up in their face, when a lawsuit appears.. which i'm sure their lawyers already have every scenario of deny deny deny written up to proceed with... yet there's only so much deny that can come about when discovery is proceeded with and the real facts and figures about what has happened is publicly available... until then.. I wouldn't expect any compensation anytime soon.. the best one can do is enjoy the car the merits it has... and maybe... unlikely... but hopefully one day.. that compensation for repairs will come... (if you are still alive by then <g>)

until then, one can be rest assured, atleast "I" will not be purchasing another porsche again...

Quick Reply: update poll for rms leaks--please report your status including mileage and model year