Sponsored by:

996 c4s vs 996 turbo--some initial observations after 500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 01:45 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 996 c4s vs 996 turbo--some initial observations after 500 miles

overall, i am surprised by the greater smoothness of the turbo. it is not only faster, it is considerably easier to use as a daily driver as long as you are vigilant about speed traps

the biggest difference (aside from the astonishing torque) is the clutch--it is MUCH lighter in the turbo and catches MUCH higher up--similiar to my son's audi a4 1.8t. i frankly prefer the lower catch point of the c4s but i appreciate the lighter feel of the turbo's clutch in traffic. fortunately, the different catch point is pretty easy to get used to.

the ride quality in the turbo is more supple than the c4s even though the turbo is riding on p zero assyms and the c4s is riding on contis
surprisingly, given the above, the turbo is flatter going around curves i don't understand it but i like it

gearing is higher in the turbo. at 3000 rpm the c4s is at 79 mph; the turbo is at 86mph. in spite of this my highway mileage in the turbo is only 20 mpg vs 24-25 mpg in the c4s. i frankly don't care about the additional few dollars for gas but i would like the turbo to have a greater range per tank of gas.

finally, acceleration is astonishing in the turbo. i find i have to be much more gentle with the accelerator around curves where i just floored it in the c4s. i'm glad i drove the c4s first for 35,000 mi. it has made me more prepared to control the massive power available in the turbo.

overall, i love both cars but i didn't expect the turbo to be even smoother than the c4s.

i'll provide more thoughts as the miles pile up in the turbo. i am delighted to have 100k mi porsche warranty on the turbo--better than a new car! the warranty stays in effect until march, 2009 as long as i'm under 100k mi!
Old 03-21-2004, 03:37 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Some people are just so lucky to have both a turbo AND the C4S .
Old 03-21-2004, 04:24 PM
J.Seven
Instructor

ignacio , where the pics We want pics
Congrats on your new toy

J.Seven
Old 03-21-2004, 05:18 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

palting

i do indeed feel lucky my wife is happy as well since she now also has a porsche to drive i am a bit concerned that she is hinting she likes the clutch on the turbo better they are both such great cars

i will take pictures of both together next week after washing them for the present i'm having too much fun driving and comparing them both to make time for anything else other than earning the money to keep up the payments
Old 03-21-2004, 06:41 PM
HKE46Boy
Rennlist Member

Congrats! Wish my wife can drive stickshift

Quick Reply: 996 c4s vs 996 turbo--some initial observations after 500 miles