Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy this 996, what do you experts think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 05:45 PM
danix
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Here's my advice as a relatively new owner.
  1. Listen to the people here. They are (mostly) all here to help you and (mostly) all correct in their statements
  2. Find the nicest car you can afford. Repairs are not cheap, so factor that into your selection. For example, there's a nice car with a blown engine near me for $10k, or you can find a nice low mile car for $24k. Same math, at the end of the day.
  3. My preference is to find a 1-2 owner car, with documented history, in the most expensive zipcode, with no excuses but enough flaws that I can afford it. That's what I bought.
  4. Don't be married to one particular car. There are A LOT of 996 out there, and the one you want (or a better one) will come along. Don't compromise on point 2 above.
  5. Think about what you really want. A stick sounds great, until you realize that the clutch is heavy and you are in LA traffic daily. Or a convertible sounds nice, but your wife hates the wind and is always cold, so you should have bought a hardtop.
  6. Search these forums, look at youtube videos, learn, learn, learn. I'm far from an expert but a few months in, I know a lot more than I did at the get-go.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:25 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by danix
  1. Listen to the people here. They are (mostly) all here to help you and (mostly) all correct in their statements
  2. Find the nicest car you can afford. Repairs are not cheap, so factor that into your selection. For example, there's a nice car with a blown engine near me for $10k, or you can find a nice low mile car for $24k. Same math, at the end of the day.
  3. My preference is to find a 1-2 owner car, with documented history, in the most expensive zipcode, with no excuses but enough flaws that I can afford it. That's what I bought.
  4. Don't be married to one particular car. There are A LOT of 996 out there, and the one you want (or a better one) will come along. Don't compromise on point 2 above.
  5. Think about what you really want. A stick sounds great, until you realize that the clutch is heavy and you are in LA traffic daily. Or a convertible sounds nice, but your wife hates the wind and is always cold, so you should have bought a hardtop.
  6. Search these forums, look at youtube videos, learn, learn, learn. I'm far from an expert but a few months in, I know a lot more than I did at the get-go.
Agree w/your list except re: #5.

I've got a "stick" 2000 C4 Cab, a 2002 MR2 and a 2014 Z51 Vette Stingray. AlLLof them are convertibles and NONE of them have a "heavy" clutch that would be any problem driving in bumper to bumper traffic anywhere if that's that I had to do.

I only drive my convertibles w/the top DOWN. My GF knows this prepares herself for the drive when we take one of them out. I also have a MB SUV and BMW sedan, so it's not like I only drive verts but it they are my preferred transportation for "fun" drives.

Also, driving a "stick" is a learned "skill" and, once learned, it's just 2nd nature and nothing you even think about when driving any manual transmission vehicile including a BIG RIG which I am also licensed to drive.

Yeah, driving an automatic is "easier" but, if that's your priority, why would you even by a 911 (of any vintage) begin with?

Driving a Porsche or any other "sporty" vehicle is about the enjoyment of driving the car and, for many of us, part of the driving experience is being able to CONTROL how you want to drive the car which is why we prefer driving a "stick" as opposed to an automatic, even if it comes w/paddle shifters which (no matter what car it is) really isn't the same thing at all!!!

Last edited by sgt1372; 10-24-2020 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:08 PM
stubble88
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just paid $16 for a 2003 with 86k miles. Motor is amazing. Has all its powe. Almost no oil leaks. Just a tiny bit wet. It has the LN ims bearing, rms, clutch, plugs, water pump, alternator, new cats. New rear brakes. All documented from Stuttcars. Excellent interior. Exterior is a disaster. One accident. One side has bad respray. RH wheels with bad curb rash brand new sumitomo tires. Eibach lowering springs. 10 owners!!!!! I do regret buying it. But talked him down from $19.5k. Oh and 2nd gear synchro is done. Yay!! Hope that helps.

Last edited by stubble88; 10-23-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:52 PM
JC-Trojan
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by danix
Very good advice, thank you.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:05 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by stubble88
I just paid $16 for a 2003 with 86k miles. Motor is amazing. Has all its powe. Almost no oil leaks. Just a tiny bit wet. It has the LN ims bearing, rms, clutch, plugs, water pump, alternator, new cats. New rear brakes. All documented from Stuttcars. Excellent interior. Exterior is a disaster. One accident. One side has bad respray. RH wheels with bad curb rash brand new sumitomo tires. Eibach lowering springs. 10 owners!!!!! I do regret buying it. But talked him down from $19.5k. Oh and 2nd gear synchro is done. Yay!! Hope that helps.
You'll be way past that $3.5k in short order. A wise man once said "The cheapest Porsche you can buy will be the most expensive Porsche you'll ever own..."
Old 10-29-2020, 07:22 PM
JC-Trojan
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you ALL for the valuable advice. It's funny how things work out. It so happens that shortly after my initial post here I had someone from Rennlist message me to say that they had a 996 for sale. I followed up, we texted and talked a few times, and as of yesterday a deal has been reached to buy the car.

I originally placed this post on behalf of my nephew who was looking for a 996. He was busy finalizing the plans for his wedding (which took place this past weekend) and he was getting too eager with a few 996's that seemed to be a little questionable. So I offered to put a post up on his behalf to inquire about the Guards Red 996 on this original post. You ALL provided so much info so thank you once again. My nephew (Dimsum1986) will be taking a flight from Los Angeles to Seattle this weekend (with his wife) to pick up the car and drive it back home. Hopefully he will chime in at some point with details and pictures.

But all I can say to the seller is, Thank You! You have been very professional the last 2 weeks working with us in trying to get the PPI done, providing the many pictures and answering all of our calls.
JC
The following users liked this post:
Rdrcr (10-29-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 08:27 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
You'll be way past that $3.5k in short order. A wise man once said "The cheapest Porsche you can buy will be the most expensive Porsche you'll ever own..."
I respectfully disagree with this blanket statement of being "way past that $3.5k in short order."

I bought a '99 with 60k miles for $16k. I spent $3.5k on you know what.

Since then it has been nothing but reliable and affordable.

You just never know, man. You might luck into a prince, or get a frog.

Old 10-30-2020, 06:16 PM
Rdrcr
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JC-Trojan
Thank you ALL for the valuable advice. It's funny how things work out. It so happens that shortly after my initial post here I had someone from Rennlist message me to say that they had a 996 for sale. I followed up, we texted and talked a few times, and as of yesterday a deal has been reached to buy the car.

I originally placed this post on behalf of my nephew who was looking for a 996. He was busy finalizing the plans for his wedding (which took place this past weekend) and he was getting too eager with a few 996's that seemed to be a little questionable. So I offered to put a post up on his behalf to inquire about the Guards Red 996 on this original post. You ALL provided so much info so thank you once again. My nephew (Dimsum1986) will be taking a flight from Los Angeles to Seattle this weekend (with his wife) to pick up the car and drive it back home. Hopefully he will chime in at some point with details and pictures.

But all I can say to the seller is, Thank You! You have been very professional the last 2 weeks working with us in trying to get the PPI done, providing the many pictures and answering all of our calls.
JC
Your nephew stole a really good '99 996 from the BaT bidding community this week. He will surely enjoy his new 911.

Mike
Old 10-31-2020, 12:14 AM
Mrhugo
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations to the OP

To me buying a used car, beside checking all the boxes, it’s your gut feeling when taking to the seller and to ask the right questions. I always try to test drive a few examples before pulling the trigger. I passed up a few good deals because the owner sounds like they are hiding information. I think the perfect car is from sellers that you know take really good care of their car and don’t cheap out on maintenance at the dealer.

i just purchased mine without a PPI on a 2000 cab 108k miles. Two owners. I have purchased many used cars before and have never been so scared driving home in my first Porsche. Lol. The ims and score boring issues research really did scare me.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy this 996, what do you experts think?