996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Noise expers! Startup noise, any clues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 01:36 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise expers! Startup noise, any clues?

Hi,

I have a rarely occurring startup noise, sounds like (yikes!) metal on metal just at the very initial milliseconds I crank the engine. It has only happened when cold starting and only a few times in the past 3+ months.

I took it to the dealer and their mechanics tried to replicate it. Wouldn't you expect that they'd never hear it??? That always happens, right? Well, the very first time they started up the car, they heard it. ;-) But, they were so startled (I don't think they believed me when I described the problem) that they didn't get a chance to listen to where it was coming from. They've had the car a week and it hasn't happend since. I tried to get a sound clip but all I've been getting is the nice sound of my car starting up and no bad noise.

The mechanics are guessing that there is a chip somewhere in the starter that, if lined up right, will cause the noise. They are saying that it's so rare that I shouldn't worry. I'm worried.

Any clues? What's a ballpark cost for a starter replacement? My warrenty is gone and I'm already in the hole $600 for a cracked coolant bottle this trip to the repair shop... ;-(

Thanks for any info.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:05 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only thing I can think of is your hydraulic valve lifters knocking until oil pressure is built-up. That is perfectly normal for any car. My GT3 does it too. If the noise does not go away after a few seconds, then you need to be concerned.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:47 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Hi Viken,

First of, as a sometimes passive reader, thanks for the wealth of info you (and others like you!) provide. I can't say enough of how much it is appreciated.

Next the noise, yes, it stops almost the instant you hear it. Seconds would not describe how long it lasts, more like tenths of a second. It sounds like it is coming from the engine compartment on the driver's side but that may be just because I'm sitting in the driver's seat at the time. It *almost* sounds like the cranking noise you'd hear if your battery was dead but I've got a full 12 volts there. I guess my life was just becoming too worry free.

Wow, I'm impressed that my meager C4Cab can do anything like a GT3... Too bad it's not a performance thing. ;-)
Old 03-18-2004, 03:14 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

Is the sound "raspy" for a brief moment and then goes away? Mine did that if it had sat for a while. I was told it was lifters. I was also told to use the 0 w40 oil to help get oil "up" quickly to make the symptom go away. It did not go away.....I tried 15 w 50 and I have not heard it since I changed my oil. Made my life easier too, as now all my vehicles use the same oil.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:02 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you don't drive the car for an extended period of time, you sometimes get the lifter noise for a few seconds/minutes, which goes away once the oil has had a chance to circulate. My last Carrera was a weekend car, and sometimes I didn't drive it for a few weeks, and it would make the lifter noise when first started, but it would go away shortly thereafter.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:08 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Joe2000C4Cab
First of, as a sometimes passive reader, thanks for the wealth of info you (and others like you!) provide. I can't say enough of how much it is appreciated.
You're welcome, Joe.

Next the noise, yes, it stops almost the instant you hear it. Seconds would not describe how long it lasts, more like tenths of a second. It sounds like it is coming from the engine compartment on the driver's side but that may be just because I'm sitting in the driver's seat at the time. It *almost* sounds like the cranking noise you'd hear if your battery was dead but I've got a full 12 volts there. I guess my life was just becoming too worry free.
Get back to worry free. You've got no problems regarding this noise.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:31 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have what I call a "screetch" sound at startup when the car is cold and the air is damp. It occurs rarely. But it must be dmp and cold.
It lasts barely a second. probably a fraction of
a second. It does sound like metal on metal I guess.
Like you, I have not been able to get a sound clip as it never shows up when I am set to record it
But.... I am fairly certain, in my case it's the starter motor pulley. I have found that if I dip my finger in oil and then apply it extremely lightly to the pully, I can go weeks without ever hearing the sound again. The dealer said they will replace the pully at next service.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:47 PM
umn
Instructor

Originally posted by Scouser

in my case it's the starter motor pulley.
The what?
Old 03-18-2004, 04:59 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Foot removed from mouth.....

Ahem.... read alternator not Starter motor.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:15 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Grtetch,

I wouldn't describe the sound as "raspy". To me, raspy doesn't have a metallic "squink" (if I can borrow a Seindfeld-ism)

Scouser,

I think you hit it with the "screetch" sound. Hmmm, alternator motor pully. I think I'll have my mechanic check that. Can you let me know how much it costs to get that one repaired?

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2004, 03:43 PM
benedict
3rd Gear

Default Noisey start up

Beware! I had an intermittant noisey starter that began within the warranty period, but of course the Dealer could never replicate. 10,000 miles out of warranty and the noise occurred more and more and of course the dealer finally heard it...yep, replace the starter. But that requires, I was told, a complete dropping of the engine on my '99 C2 Cab, so 5 grand later I've got a new starter that I frankly believe should have been covered under warranty. By the way, I had them replace the clutch and plate and CV boots while in there but that brought the total to 9 grand. Not pleasant to say the least.
The caveat is to ruthlessly make the dealer document any problems or concerns during warranty. Because this dealer failed to make note of my complaints starting at 36,000 miles, they would not help on honoring this repair under warranty.

Good luck.

George B.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:52 PM
Ofer
Advanced

It is very common for the belt pulley and tensioner bearings to go on these 996's. Just had my '01 serviced (one bearing reayplaced) and the noise is gone. They sell the bearings with pulleys for about $25 each of $75/set on ebay.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:00 PM
ZeeZee
Instructor

I have the screech too. Just like Scouser, it needs to be colder than usual and damp. I always thought that the sound was related to the mufflers somehow, but maybe not. Either way, it only lasts for literally the first burst of throttle as I'm starting it up, then it's immediately gone. Hasn't ever really bothered me so I haven't looked into what it might be...
Old 05-24-2004, 01:19 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Sounds like a new starter motor is needed. Has that screeching start upon startup and got progressively worse to point replaced uner warranty at that time. It started up fine but the noise was killing me. After was done all is well. Regards. Mike
Old 05-24-2004, 04:55 PM
Andy (Atlanta)
Racer

I have the same loud metallic noise occasionally at start up. I took it in and they could not find anything wrong. Mine mostly occurs when the engine is warm. It sounds like someone tapping the engine once with a hammer. It’s still under warranty and I only have 3500 miles on it so unless it gets worse I will ignore it.

Quick Reply: Noise expers! Startup noise, any clues?