Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

No Aux Input? (I have the solution... MP3 players, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Scott_in_Houston
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Aux Input? (I have the solution... MP3 players, etc.)

I learned today how to do it. I haven't done it yet, but I will in the near future.

I was getting my V1 hardwired at a local high-end car stereo shop. I trust them more than myself to do stuff like that.
Anyway, I asked them about the Porsche system on '02's with Bose and the lack of the Aux input for MP3 players, etc.
He told me that they could do that no problem. They did one with a Satellite and MP3 player hookup.

It's a work-around. They basically hook a relay or switch (not sure of terminology) into the CD player hookup.
The stereo always thinks it's playing a CD, but a switch on the dash controls what's actually being fed into it. So, the head unit will always say "CD", but your switch can make it feed in either the CD, the MP3 player, or whatever else you hook up to it. There's no loss of quality, and it's all digital.

I'm going to do this very soon and I'll post results.

[If this was already known to the board, my apologies, but I just learned it, so I thought I'd share]
Old 03-17-2004, 03:58 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Scott,
If this works, you will make many people very happy.
Jim
Old 03-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to make very clear what model years you are talking about.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=115124
Old 03-17-2004, 06:34 PM
Scott_in_Houston
Instructor

Well, I'm not sure actually because I don't know what years have what input, but I know this SHOULD work (I say should b/c I haven't done it yet) on my '02 TT with the Bose system. I'm guessing any pre-'02 it should.
As for '03 and beyond, I dunno. The fiber optic may cause a problem.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:32 PM
Keyvan
Racer

Yes but you have to keep the connection to the CD changer and feed a digital stream to inside the cd changer before the MOST adapter...i already had that idea...I was gonna buy a spare MOST cd changer and see if I could do it...

Last edited by Keyvan; 03-17-2004 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:11 PM
Scott_in_Houston
Instructor

I'm not familiar with the MOST but it sounds the same. I know that a CD has to be in the player and spinning even if you're actually hearing the MP3 player or whatever.

I'm not audiophile-techno guy, so I can't speak to details.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:03 PM
wet996
Advanced

I have the Delphi SkyFi system and would like to use in my cab. I have the CDR220 w/aux available. Has anyone found a way to use tha aux connection with the SkyFi? They only offer the FM modulation or cassett option... thx
Old 03-20-2004, 08:37 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Scott,
Your installer is correct. You have an analog based system, so consider yourself lucky; upgrades are quite simple.

All Porsches before MY03 had analog audio systems. MY02 offered a Bose system, along with Becker. MY01 and earlier were only Becker.

MY03+ are MOST (fiber optic) based systems and much more complicated to hack into (trust me, they're hard enough to just get working in the cars ). The link posted by tool pants has some info, as would a search for "MOST".

As previously discussed, there are plans to offer external audio interface devices for MOST, but these are still 2-3 years away. Details can be found on the Oasis website (they're the German company who sold MOST to the German OEM's.....long story behind MOST).
Old 05-04-2004, 12:10 PM
KatyTX
Advanced

http://www.blitzsafe.com

Quick Reply: No Aux Input? (I have the solution... MP3 players, etc.)