Sponsored by:

GT3 Console Delete - Regrets ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 03:26 AM
hotchalupa
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vitaminC
You can’t do a console delete if you have a double DIN head unit and want to keep access to the climate control. Unless you set it in automatic at your favorite temperature, then you could stick it behind the delete kit. Or you might be able to mount it to the carpet below the head unit; it’s not very deep.
If iDatalink Maestro ever supported 996's, it would be possible to install a HUR with Maestro support and retain HVAC controls via that HU. One can only wish, though...
Old 06-25-2020, 10:30 AM
jdbornem
Pro

Received 493 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Sutherland
Digging the clean look of the GT3 delete. I don’t use the disc changer anyways, but my question is where do the heated seats buttons go? Could they go below the ash tray in the center console? I have two black buttons that seem to have zero use.
Originally Posted by Idaho911
Do you have any blanks on the center dash? The heated seat buttons have enough length to easily move to the center dash console. I re-arranged my buttons a bit so the heated seat buttons could be at the bottom of the stack. The Targa controls moved to where your rear blanks are in the picture you posted. I had to extend these wires in order to reach.
I posted a picture of my position in Post #4. Moved them to the blanks between the seats. Either there or in the console as Idaho911 says, if you have space. Between the seats I needed to extend the wires. There are 5 wires per switch. I used two lengths (for two switches) of 18AWG 5-wire thermostat wire (5 individual insulated wires bundled in one outer insulator) with some spade connectors. I'm pretty sure the gauge is the same as the normal wiring, and it made a decently clean install. I wish I had actual Porsche connectors, that would have been alot better. However, I definitely didn't want to cut the factory wiring to splice it longer, so that was the best I could do.
The following 2 users liked this post by jdbornem:
sammm123 (08-15-2022), Sean Sutherland (06-26-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 02:31 PM
H2Ocooledesteem
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Idaho911
I'm 6'5" and after a few hundred mile trip in the Targa, I knew the GT3 Console Delete was an absolute must.

No Natural Brown ones were available in the US, but found one at Rose Passion.

Install was easy with the hardest part being the relocation of the Targa and heated seat controls.

I also have the Bose sound option with the subwoofer in the passenger footwell. This left a bit of black housing exposes on the top of the subwoofer, so I took the carpet from the removed side panel and fitted it on there. Looks factor if I do say so myself.
I screwed it into the radio from in the corner.
I also have a set of natural brown gt3 seats for sale
Old 06-25-2020, 06:17 PM
amusselw
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

This thread is costing me money! After seeing this I ordered a console delete kit from Pelican Parts. I already have the Rennline phone mount so I’m looking forward to putting all this together. It’s always bothered me that there are two blank spaces for the switches along my center console so moving the heated seat controls up there should clean things up. I have a graphite grey interior but could only find a black kit available; since there are already black components throughout the car it shouldn’t look too bad but, even if it does, I’m much more interested in the added comfort since I’m on the taller side as well. I’ll follow up next week once I get the kit and install it.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:58 PM
GH996
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by amusselw
This thread is costing me money! After seeing this I ordered a console delete kit from Pelican Parts. I already have the Rennline phone mount so I’m looking forward to putting all this together. It’s always bothered me that there are two blank spaces for the switches along my center console so moving the heated seat controls up there should clean things up. I have a graphite grey interior but could only find a black kit available; since there are already black components throughout the car it shouldn’t look too bad but, even if it does, I’m much more interested in the added comfort since I’m on the taller side as well. I’ll follow up next week once I get the kit and install it.
Suncoast has graphite grey but it is on back order. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/gt3console.html
Old 06-25-2020, 08:43 PM
Outbound
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

For the phone mount you can see what I did for mine before I sold the car. Plenty of pics of it on BaT.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...11-carrera-44/

Not the cheapest to print, and very model specific, but could probably make one that uses the rennline magnetic mount easily.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:13 PM
911ren20
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Outbound
For the phone mount you can see what I did for mine before I sold the car. Plenty of pics of it on BaT.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...11-carrera-44/

Not the cheapest to print, and very model specific, but could probably make one that uses the rennline magnetic mount easily.
Would you mind sharing STL model?
Old 06-26-2020, 10:02 PM
Sean Sutherland
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jdbornem
I posted a picture of my position in Post #4. Moved them to the blanks between the seats. Either there or in the console as Idaho911 says, if you have space. Between the seats I needed to extend the wires. There are 5 wires per switch. I used two lengths (for two switches) of 18AWG 5-wire thermostat wire (5 individual insulated wires bundled in one outer insulator) with some spade connectors. I'm pretty sure the gauge is the same as the normal wiring, and it made a decently clean install. I wish I had actual Porsche connectors, that would have been alot better. However, I definitely didn't want to cut the factory wiring to splice it longer, so that was the best I could do.
Just bought the console delete based on putting the seat warmers in those blank buttons. Thanks for showing that pic!
Old 06-27-2020, 03:18 AM
jdbornem
Pro

Received 493 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Sutherland
Just bought the console delete based on putting the seat warmers in those blank buttons. Thanks for showing that pic!
No problem. Good luck.
I think I have more pics while doing the install if interested. But I won't have access to those until Monday.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:14 PM
amusselw
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I got my kit today and put it in. However, I could not find a way to install the Rennline mount without doing permanent modifications (let me know if I missed something). The install itself was pretty straightforward, especially watching this:
. By the way, he means it when he says to expand the two holes for the studs since they won’t fit otherwise. Lessons learned:

1) Moving the heated seat switches to the horseshoe was a giant pain but certainly doable. It would have been a good opportunity to grab the phone cables and splice in a 12V receiver but that’s easy enough to do another day.

2) I ordered the kit from Pelican because it was $206 instead of $240 on Suncoast. However, I learned that the trim cover for the front of the shift console was not included through Pelican but would have been through Suncoast, so now I get to pay $65 for that little piece of plastic. I found this and am going to have a friend print it for me to see if it works out: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4018981.

I took a short drive after the install and it feels much better than before, so I am very happy with the choosing to go through with it after seeing this thread.

Old 10-07-2023, 07:23 PM
Kaelstart
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default CONSOLE DELETE WITH DBL DIN UNIT

Just a heads up

working with a mate to develop a custom OEM look HVAC control , too allow those with a need, to retro mod the interior with a console delete and keep the HVAC on the dash.

still in development .

meanwhile we have now finalised our own 3d printed GT3 console delete and will.be offering it in all carpet colour options - based on avail supply.

the other option we’ve been developing is a delete, that has an integrated wireless charger - the link below shoes prototype. Intending too have the charger - behind the carpet

we are in Australia

cheers

Prototype QI CHARGER - final version to be hidden

3D printed standard delete

Factory on left - right is our 3d printed delete

Our 3d printed delete

View this post on Instagram
Attached Images   

Last edited by Kaelstart; 10-07-2023 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Images
Old 11-11-2023, 06:42 AM
99-911
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Anyone here has tried Rennline mount for 996/986 w/ GT3 console delete?

https://www.rennline.com/exactfit-ma...-mount-pm01-95

I'd like to see photos esp. on facelift 996.2/986.2 with horse-shoe bezel.

Quick Reply: GT3 Console Delete - Regrets ?