Sponsored by:

Porsche 996 IMS replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 09:57 PM
Brian_C
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by vitaminC
I suggest not purchasing a 996. You’ll never get a good night’s sleep again.
ouch.

they said the same thing about the SC’s 20yrs ago.

best advice I ever received from a 911 Indy.....”buy the newest year 911 you can afford”
Old 06-24-2020, 05:22 AM
Nick_L
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

Check if the VIN is in the range here(scroll down for 911 01-05): https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...-mar-12-a.html
If it is, you should have the bearing checked and replaced if it's got excessive play and/or doesn't turn butter smooth. It the bearing is good, no need to replace. If you go ahead and inspect, and maybe replace it, be sure to find an experienced garage. There was a thread on the forum some time ago where a garage made a mess of a perfectly fine engine. Inspect before replacing.

My opinion is that dirty oil caused by infrequent oil changes, running the engine too hot and/or using a sport/high flow air filter is killer for the engine. Avoid it to keep problems away.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:11 AM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Billup
People who have IMS replacements done are like vegans. They're quick to talk about it even if nobody asks.
I'm just quoting this because I think it's both funny and spot on.
The following users liked this post:
Houtx996 (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 11:54 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian_C
ouch.

best advice I ever received from a 911 Indy.....”buy the newest year 911 you can afford”
Lol, I bought an 02 with a blown motor for $4K, fixed it myself for $6K...been smiling ever since! That was all I could afford at the time!
Old 06-24-2020, 12:15 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian_C
ouch.

hmmm...11 years ago I bought my 997.2....couldn't be any newer....looking back, for the price I could have gotten a few restored longhood 911s....those cars would now add up close to $1M.I bought a new one....should have bought a bunch of old ones.

Now back to this thread....I used to think buying a car with an IMS upgrade installed was the way to go. However, a friend just bought a C4S with and upgrade done 1 year ago and while changing the AOS and to fix what they thought was a RMS leak they found the IMS seal was bulging out because it was installed incorrectly. Immediately replaced the whole thing. My lesson in this moving forward is buy a car without IMS upgrade and have it done yourself by a reputable guy you trust.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:14 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by lowpue
hmmm...11 years ago I bought my 997.2....couldn't be any newer....looking back, for the price I could have gotten a few restored longhood 911s....those cars would now add up close to $1M.I bought a new one....should have bought a bunch of old ones.

Now back to this thread....I used to think buying a car with an IMS upgrade installed was the way to go. However, a friend just bought a C4S with and upgrade done 1 year ago and while changing the AOS and to fix what they thought was a RMS leak they found the IMS seal was bulging out because it was installed incorrectly. Immediately replaced the whole thing. My lesson in this moving forward is buy a car without IMS upgrade and have it done yourself by a reputable guy you trust.
Agree, sometimes no good deed goes unpunished.

Sometimes replacing stuff that ain’t broke causes more damage than good, so that’s why I only look for the very best (and not the cheapest) mechanics, as it actually pays to have it done right. Surprisingly, this route often is cheaper in the long run.

Quick Reply: Porsche 996 IMS replacement