Sponsored by:

Intro thread - 40th anniversary edition

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 10:00 PM
dantonio
Racer

Received 348 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Intro thread - 40th anniversary edition

I'd like to introduce myself and share my story as it led me to acquire my first 996 last weekend. I've always been a huge Porsche fan, initially owning a 987 and then 981, which I just recently sold to purchase my 996. About 4 years ago I also acquired a 993, which I was hoping would be my everyday modern classic.

Ultimately the 993 has taken on more of a garage queen status for me. I've poured tons of time and money into the car and it's simply too precious to be driving everyday over bumpy roads and leaving in a parking lot at work under the beating sun, only to come back to at the end of the day to be uncomfortably hot on the drive home. I love the car and everything about the driving and ownership experience, and I wanted to expand that enthusiasm into a more practical everyday 911. I started shopping for a 996 or 997, and ultimately settled on the 40 Jahre.

I think critically comparing between models to determine the "best" is a fruitless exercise. They are all beautiful and unique to me - each generation, and each model. The 996 stands out to me as as a special generation because it represents a time that Porsche made a courageous leap into the future, both in engineering and design. I absolutely love every element of Pinky Lai's perfectly proportioned, sleek little torpedo. It's aged enough now to appear retro, but at the time it was also futuristic, which gives it an interesting position in Porsche history. By contrast, the 997 that came after seems much more cautious and predictable, although it is also timeless and beautiful in its own right.

I picked up the car in Vancouver last weekend and spent 4 days driving it back to Western Canada through the Okanagan valley and Rocky Mountains. We spent a couple days in Kelowna to visit friends and stopped at Mission Hill winery. Then another night in Lake Louise to see the sights. This trip has been on my bucket list for a while and it was truly a dream come true to finally pull it off.

The car is totally stock right now. In terms of future maintenance I plan on replacing the water pump (not sure when it was done last - I've heard the plastic impeller needs periodic replacement), and I have a coolant smell coming from the interior vents when the heat is on - likely the heater core. In terms of upgrades I plan on doing the suspension (probably H&R or Bilstein), Fister exhaust, and Porsche Classic Communication Management.

And below are some obligatory pictures! Look forward to getting to know all the 996 owners on Rennlist. It's been such a welcoming community and an absolute wealth of information and advice on my 993 journey.

The following 2 users liked this post by dantonio:
hotchalupa (06-13-2020), TAZ40JAHRE (06-17-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 10:21 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Welcome to the 40th Anniversary and 996 club. The 40th is such a great example. I've had mine for almost 3 years now and have enjoyed every minute of it. I'm sure you will do the same, congrats and thanks for sharing!
The following users liked this post:
TAZ40JAHRE (06-17-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 11:07 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 468 Likes on 329 Posts

Congrats and welcome. Sounds like a great drive back.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:03 AM
hotchalupa
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Congratulations again! Our 40AEs are "new owner twins", both being acquired by us on the same day.

Thank you for sharing your story. We seem to share very similar views and sentiments as to what the 996 represents within our broader Porsche enthusiasm.

The weather here in the Seattle area has been crummy this week, but next weekend promises actual summer. I hope to get good photos and do an intro write up sometime after.

My 40AE goes in for preventative maintenance (including IMS Solution) on Monday and will be gone for the better part of the week. It's not gone, yet, and I'm already dreading not having it near...
The following users liked this post:
TAZ40JAHRE (06-17-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 12:34 PM
Spartan 911
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your purchase its a great example of the 40th Jahre. Enjoy it in good health!
Old 06-13-2020, 10:20 PM
Brian_C
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Great purchase!
Old 06-26-2020, 10:58 AM
m32
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 146 Posts

congrats! I love what you did to your 993 so I'm sure this one is going to be awesome as well!

Edwin
Old 06-26-2020, 12:56 PM
dantonio
Racer

Received 348 Likes on 125 Posts

Thanks everybody!! I've already started the work - just got my mufflers off and waiting for the FD units to arrive. Going to do the water pump, thermostat and heater core this weekend.

Ordered the H&R Street coilovers, Tarrett front camber plates and Rennline motor mounts. Should hopefully have it all next week. I hope to somewhat replicate the responsive, playful suspension setup I have in my 993. PCCM+ will have to wait until my dealer gets them in later this year.

Although I've done lots of work on my 993 myself (camber plates, motor mounts, rebuilt 3-piece wheels, new seats, steering wheel/*****, classic radio), it was mostly the creation of the previous owner. So it's nice to have this 996 as my project car from the ground up.

The following 2 users liked this post by dantonio:
m32 (06-26-2020), Z996Z (06-29-2020)

Quick Reply: Intro thread - 40th anniversary edition