996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Can you help finding a child seat (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 10:18 AM
J.Seven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you help finding a child seat (pic)

I´ve a 996 Cab, and I would like to be able to ride with my wife and 5 month old baby. Untill now I´ve been making short rides with the infant carrier and baby sitting sideways on the back seat wish is not safe , but I would like to buy a proper child seat that would fit on the rear seat. Is there anything available? Thanks in advance.

This is indeed very small
Old 03-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the Porsche infant seat (for children up to 30lbs?) and I had them install the airbag deactivation kit so the car seat can be used in the front seat. I put the seat in the back of my cabriolet one time as a test and my wife had to pull the passenger seat up so far it was uncomfortable.

I've never tried to do it in my coupe but I know there is a little more room there. We have the family rx-330 truckster and I don't think we will all ride in the Porsche until my girl is old enough to sit in the back seat without a child seat.

Rob-
Old 03-10-2004, 11:15 AM
J.Seven
Instructor

I can ride with the infant child seat on the back, and my wife still has room enough in the front, but my infant seat is not from Porsche.

J.Seven
Old 03-10-2004, 11:17 AM
J.Seven
Instructor

Riad , how much did you pay for desactivation of the air bag including labour? Thanks in advance.

J.Seven
Old 03-10-2004, 11:27 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by J.Seven
Riad , how much did you pay for desactivation of the air bag including labour? Thanks in advance.

J.Seven
By law Porsche is required to install it for free... but your child seat has to have the deactivation buckle.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:31 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

I can ride with the infant child seat on the back, and my wife still has room enough in the front, but my infant seat is not from Porsche.

J.Seven
Do you have a coupe or cab? Does make a difference.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:37 PM
J.Seven
Instructor

riad it´s a Cab.

J.Seven
Old 03-10-2004, 07:39 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I had the Porsche toddler seat for my Boxster S. Dealer installs free (must install hardware under seat AND reprogram computer). I just put the seat in my 4-day old '04 Targa back seat; its tight but my wife is OK with the legroom. Riad, you're going to have a long wait if you wait until your daughter is old enough to ride with no child seat. Porsche makes a booster seat which I'll need in another year or so, next step up from the toddler seat I have now. Don't deprive your daughter for so long - get the Porsche seat and squeeze everybody in!
Old 03-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW - you can disable the airbag using the passenger seat buckle. doing so enables you to use a wider range of car seats than the Porsche option. The hassle is anytime you restart you must reinsert the passenger seat buckle.

www.carnewal.com carries the deactivation bar as a solo item.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

I have the toddler child seat as well, right now it's installed in my Lexus. You know I would rather take my daughter in the car and leave my wife at home anyway.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:08 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Britax makes the seats for Porsche and BMW. If you plan to keep your child in the back seat you can get the Roundabout, which is good to 30lbs. My 2 year old sits in a Britax Marathon in the right rears seat. I took out the seat cushion so that the Britax fits more securely.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:42 AM
Firewired
Intermediate

I purchased the middle Porsche (toddler) carseat from Sun Coast Porsche about two weeks ago. They had the seat significantly cheaper than my local dealer. The Porsche car seats are incidentally made by Britax specially to fit in the Porsche seats. Porsche just recently released new versions of their car seats Here is a link to the Porsche site with info on the three different seats they have:

http://www2.us.porsche.com/english/u...indersitze.htm
Old 03-11-2004, 06:45 AM
J.Seven
Instructor

Originally posted by earlyapex
Britax makes the seats for Porsche and BMW. If you plan to keep your child in the back seat you can get the Roundabout, which is good to 30lbs. My 2 year old sits in a Britax Marathon in the right rears seat. I took out the seat cushion so that the Britax fits more securely.
earlyapex , which is best to fit on the rear seat, the Marathon or the Roundbout? do you have any pics of your Britax seat in the back of your 996? Is your 996 a Cab? I have a Cab, do you think it will fit?

From the picture below you can see the two Britax seats, Marathon and Roundabout. The plastic base of the Marathon seems to be much smaller than the Roundabout, who makes me believe that the Marathon will fit better than the Roundabount due to this smaler base size.

The Marathon is the seat on the right, and as you can see it has a smaler base than the Roundabout.

Here´s the two plastic bases from under. The Marathon is on the right

Let me know your opinion on this. Thanks.

J.Seven
Old 03-11-2004, 10:39 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

earlyapex , which is best to fit on the rear seat, the Marathon or the Roundbout? do you have any pics of your Britax seat in the back of your 996? Is your 996 a Cab? I have a Cab, do you think it will fit?

From the picture below you can see the two Britax seats, Marathon and Roundabout. The plastic base of the Marathon seems to be much smaller than the Roundabout, who makes me believe that the Marathon will fit better than the Roundabount due to this smaler base size.

The Marathon is the seat on the right, and as you can see it has a smaler base than the Roundabout.

Here´s the two plastic bases from under. The Marathon is on the right

Let me know your opinion on this. Thanks.

J.Seven
I am hoping you took the baby out for that last photo...
Old 03-11-2004, 10:43 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Wachuko
I am hoping you took the baby out for that last photo...
Holy crap that's funny.

Quick Reply: Can you help finding a child seat (pic)