Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Spark Plug, Coil & Tube Replacement (Long & Detailed)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 01:16 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 115 Posts

Glad it helped! On my '99 the coils and plugs weren't that hard to get in or out. The later models might have more stuff in the way. I spent a LONG time futzing with the boat plug trying to get the tubes out. I think the bolt is probably a better idea as long as it doesn't break the tube and leave a plastic piece in the cylinder.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:24 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 414 Likes on 268 Posts

Here’s something that I ran into that folks need to watch out for:

If you’re using Bosch OEM plugs (FGR-6-KQE), make sure that the white ceramic portion of each plug is stamped with a 6. This indicates that it’s a proper heat range 6 plug. Mine were the proper Bosch FGR-6-KQE plugs but they had a 5 stamped on all of them. It cost me thousands of dollars in diagnostics to discover that this was the cause of my random and pervasive misfires. The wrong heat range of the plugs eventually overstressed two of the new coil packs too and led to their replacement. It’s clearly a manufacturing defect by Bosch but I don’t know how widespread the issue is.
The following 2 users liked this post by islaTurbine:
Mpfaff (12-28-2021), ssherman68 (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 01:39 PM
koth442
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by islaTurbine

If you’re using Bosch OEM plugs (FGR-6-KQE), make sure that the white ceramic portion of each plug is stamped with a 6. This indicates that it’s a proper heat range 6 plug. Mine were the proper Bosch FGR-6-KQE plugs but they had a 5 stamped on all of them. It cost me thousands of dollars in diagnostics to discover that this was the cause of my random and pervasive misfires. The wrong heat range of the plugs eventually overstressed two of the new coil packs too and led to their replacement. It’s clearly a manufacturing defect by Bosch but I don’t know how widespread the issue is.
Welllll ****. Looks like I'll be pulling my spark plugs back out. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:57 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by koth442
Welllll ****. Looks like I'll be pulling my spark plugs back out. Thanks for sharing.
Mine came from a forum sponsor and not a back alley eBay seller. The car now has Beru plugs after this fiasco. Thank god my mechanic thought to look at the plugs with a fine eye otherwise we’d still be running in circles.
Old 12-28-2021, 03:35 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 115 Posts

Didn't know that! I just included it in my original post & referenced yours.
The following users liked this post:
islaTurbine (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 03:56 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,651 Likes on 966 Posts

I just paid someone to UAOS plugs water pump tubes and install my fabspeed xpipe exhaust and 997gt3 shifter so I’m all in for labor at about $2400
and another $2k in parts
but watching your post made feel that I should have tackled it to save some cash because you made it look easy
then reality settled in and I woke up that I’m not mechanical at all LOL
and went for a drive just to hear and feel my new exhaust
giddy but poorer
Old 12-28-2021, 05:55 PM
koth442
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by NYPOWR4
I just paid someone to UAOS plugs water pump tubes and install my fabspeed xpipe exhaust and 997gt3 shifter so I’m all in for labor at about $2400
and another $2k in parts
but watching your post made feel that I should have tackled it to save some cash because you made it look easy
then reality settled in and I woke up that I’m not mechanical at all LOL
and went for a drive just to hear and feel my new exhaust
giddy but poorer
So long as the butt dyno is happy, I think you're doing great!
EVOMMM (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 08:51 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,466 Likes on 708 Posts

If you’re using Bosch OEM plugs (FGR-6-KQE), make sure that the white ceramic portion of each plug is stamped with a 6. This indicates that it’s a proper heat range 6 plug. Mine were the proper Bosch FGR-6-KQE plugs but they had a 5 stamped on all of them.
NOW you tell us.
I used Beru plugs, is this just a Bosch thing?

How hard is the number to see?

Originally Posted by ssherman68
Glad it helped! On my '99 the coils and plugs weren't that hard to get in or out. The later models might have more stuff in the way. I spent a LONG time futzing with the boat plug trying to get the tubes out.
I also tried the boat plug without success and ended up using an arbor for a 1" drum sander. It works on the same principle but it has a much better grip on the tube.

ssherman68 (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 10:00 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

My personal experience was with 7 Bosch plugs. 6 purchased from one supplier and a seventh purchased from another. All were the wrong heat range. The number is in light blue and is on the ceramic portion opposite of the electrode end.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:40 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,466 Likes on 708 Posts

My personal experience was with 7 Bosch plugs. 6 purchased from one supplier and a seventh purchased from another. All were the wrong heat range. The number is in light blue and is on the ceramic portion opposite of the electrode end.
Well, I'm confused. I thought that the heat range was part of all plug part numbers. So the '6' in plug # FGR-6-KQE indicates heat range 6 and I assume a heat range '5' plug would be FGR-5-KQE.
FWIW, the original Bosch plugs I removed didn't have any number in light blue on them but then again they're 23 years old.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:51 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
Well, I'm confused. I thought that the heat range was part of all plug part numbers. So the '6' in plug # FGR-6-KQE indicates heat range 6 and I assume a heat range '5' plug would be FGR-5-KQE.
FWIW, the original Bosch plugs I removed didn't have any number in light blue on them but then again they're 23 years old.
Yes that’s correct. My plugs were sold under the FGR-6-KQE number and had that engraved on the metal portion near the threads. But the number imprinted on the ceramic was a 5 instead of a 6.

All of my misfires went away when we ditched them and we back to Beru.
Old 12-29-2021, 11:48 AM
elwoodcg
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by elwoodcg; 12-29-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-29-2021, 11:53 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by elwoodcg
Are you sure the print on the ceramic represents the temp range?

As an aside, I believe there are two different plugs for the M96.01/02 and M96.03. I just pulled mine on my .03 and they were actually the .01/02 version. I didn’t have any misfires in the 2k miles since I’ve had it but it’ll be interesting to see how it runs with the proper plugs.

pic of the parts diagram.

No I’m not entirely sure. What I do know is that we had random misfires everywhere but the most consistent were in cylinder 2. We replaced that spark plug with the same Bosch plug with the 5 on the ceramic and we replaced the coil. The misfires still persisted.

A month later the shop went in again and noticed the “5” and another coil that was now causing issues. So they replaced all the plus with Beru’s, which have a 6 on the ceramic, and the second coil as well.

No more misfires.

This will be my second set of Beru plugs and neither have given me issues. The lone set of 7 Bosch’s cost be about $6k in trying to track down random misfires.

Last edited by islaTurbine; 12-29-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-30-2021, 05:47 PM
rich_r
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rich_r
Yeh, i think a stone cold engine and very cold garage isnt really helping! I think a warm engine would make things easier. I'll try again.
Just following up on my own experience here. A very cold engine and super cold garage is not a good time to change the tubes! I warmed the car up today, and heated my garage, I managed to replace all the tubes with ease. Tip: warm things up.
Old 04-04-2022, 11:21 PM
rmikebaker
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Finally got around to tackling this job, and from reading all the posts here before I started, the biggest conclusion I've come to is "your mileage may vary". The easiest part for me was replacing the tubes. I had two that were leaking, and they practically came out just by looking at them. The others were no issue using SoCal911t's suggestion of getting a 1" drum sander arbor. Perfect tool for the job. They all went back in easy. An initial push to get them going, and then a second push for the final seating into place.

I had several "problem" areas though. The first was that the bolts and nuts on the exhaust connectors (muffler to cat pipe) were a rusted mess. I let 'em soak in penetrating oil overnight, but still had to cut the first two off. After the other side sat for awhile, I was finally able to get the nuts to budge using my breaker bar. The other problem area was the spark plugs behind the muffler mounting bracket on each side. What a pain in the rear. I've got plenty of socket extensions of various sizes, plus swivel adapters, and a swivel spark plug socket, but those were still a pain.

I also did some much needed cleaning of the engine while I was at it
ssherman68 (04-05-2022)

Quick Reply: 996 Spark Plug, Coil & Tube Replacement (Long & Detailed)