Sponsored by:

Coilovers... Are You Doing it Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 03:00 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by wdb
I'm not sure if it relates but I recently put Koni Yellows on my car, which are adjustable. I left them at the softest setting, then later went to "+" (1/2 turn). The wheel control AND ride quality actually got better, just like the experience of the Feal folks here. I recently went up another half turn and, sure enough, ride quality is at least as good and there is less unwanted motion when matters get curvy. In short I'm experiencing a similar ah-ha moment. In fact this thread is what motivated me to crank them up.
Great to hear that this thread helped you @wdb. This definitely isn’t specific to one brand or setup type!
The following users liked this post:
wdb (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 03:35 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,773 Likes on 905 Posts

In some ways, suspension isn't much different than a rebuilt or upgraded engine. You need to fine tune things to get the best performance
Old 07-20-2022, 07:23 PM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 424 Posts

Absolutely agree the system needs to be tuned together. Expect several adjustments to find what you like. I started my Ohlin's at 20/20 and worked down to 15/10. Then I changed out the wheels from 17 to 18". They are heavier and wider and made the car feel slow. 2 more adjustments to find 12/8. For now...
dporto (07-21-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 07:25 PM
Tr4ckD4ys
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by golock911
Absolutely agree the system needs to be tuned together. Expect several adjustments to find what you like. I started my Ohlin's at 20/20 and worked down to 15/10. Then I changed out the wheels from 17 to 18". They are heavier and wider and made the car feel slow. 2 more adjustments to find 12/8. For now...
so your ratio is to have the rear set to softer than the front?
Old 07-21-2022, 12:29 AM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Tr4ckD4ys
so your ratio is to have the rear set to softer than the front?
Nope. Sorry, I left out F/R. I always report the front setting first. The fronts are softer. A setting of 20 is the softest.

A point for all street folks to consider is optimal handling vs. personal preference. My settings may be very different from others due to both the car and my personal preference. I have no idea whether this setting will create the optimal handling, although it feels sharper and more responsive than the other settings, I have no way to prove that it is.
Old 07-21-2022, 08:29 AM
Tr4ckD4ys
Instructor

Originally Posted by golock911
Nope. Sorry, I left out F/R. I always report the front setting first. The fronts are softer. A setting of 20 is the softest.

A point for all street folks to consider is optimal handling vs. personal preference. My settings may be very different from others due to both the car and my personal preference. I have no idea whether this setting will create the optimal handling, although it feels sharper and more responsive than the other settings, I have no way to prove that it is.
that’s why I would love for someone with track and/or suspension engineering experience to chime in. How is one supposed to think about handling of the car in context of the stiffness of the coilovers settings. Would a suspension engineer for track use suggest “the stiffer the better” or something else? How does stiffness typically affect handling in straights vs curves, steering feel et cetera. There are so so many variables and I literally know nothing about it. All I know is that “mechanics adjust their suspension to the track they are racing”. So what does that **really** mean?
Old 07-21-2022, 10:12 AM
plpete84
Drifting

One thing I've learned from people much smarter than me is that stiffer is not always faster. There is also a reason why you drop your tire air pressure on the track. It may give you a feeling of being faster but in practice it's not. Suspension is made to suspend the car and maintain a constant contact patch between as much of the tire as possible and the ground. If your set up is too stiff, the tire may skip over sharper bumps and etc and actually upset the car. You want your damper to react quickly to the changes on the road and damped in a way that it moves the wheel up and down accordingly without excessive energy transferred to the car body itself. I think that's where Ohlins really shine and why I chose them - the DFV is really something. Watching some track cars being set up, they are quite low to have the lowest center of gravity but the dampers are set quite soft to keep the car composed. It's all quite fascinating and requires testing and trial and error to dial in. Things like car weight and even the weight of the driver are taken into account as it all adds up. Just imagine a lightweight race car with a 150lb driver vs a 220lb driver. Car will definitely need different set ups.
Old 07-21-2022, 12:14 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,169 Posts

The 996 by factory design has understeer to eliminate the "widow maker" characteristics of past 911s. You wouldnt know this if you just drive your car on the street other than your rear end doesn't come around very easily. But you will know this if you track your car at a more advanced level and speed.

So when I added coilovers (Bilstein PSS9) back in 2007, i went to full stiff on the rears and a notch above half stiff on the fronts. I also added tarret sway bars and went with full stiff on the rears and the least stiff on the front sway bars. I also had the car set up to GT3 specs and added a Guard LSD. It took a few track days with my indy at the track to help me dial in the settings. I haven't changed it since. The car has incredible turn-in and rotation without the fear of the back end coming around, not to mention it sticks on the exit. Never added any aero because I didn't want to mess with other variables with handling.

Yep, the car is stiff on the street, but it drives like a go cart in town and on the highway and the stiffness doesn't bother me because I don't want to mess with the settings. Next year I will replace the Bilsteins with either the Bilstein Clubsports or a set of JRZs. But I dread the time it will take to set-up the JRZs on the track, but i do like the additional adjustability. I may even decide to just put on a set of PSS10s to keep it simple since I already know the characteristics of the coilovers. The only difference is that the PSS10s have 10 clicks of adjustability versus 9.

Here is the point, there is a big difference between street driving, track driving and combo street and track with the set-up, and how it will feel. Most folks on this thread wont get very serious about tracking their car beyond an occasional event, which means your requirements for coilovers and suspension parts will be minimal. Those that are big-time DE enthusiasts will want and need more.

But the more you want and need to enhance handling on the track, the harsher the ride will be on the street.

It's a trade-off.

Last edited by GC996; 07-21-2022 at 12:23 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by GC996:
plpete84 (07-21-2022), TheChunkNorris (07-21-2022), Tr4ckD4ys (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 01:00 PM
Tr4ckD4ys
Instructor

Originally Posted by GC996
The 996 by factory design has understeer to eliminate the "widow maker" characteristics of past 911s. You wouldnt know this if you just drive your car on the street other than your rear end doesn't come around very easily. But you will know this if you track your car at a more advanced level and speed.

So when I added coilovers (Bilstein PSS9) back in 2007, i went to full stiff on the rears and a notch above half stiff on the fronts. I also added tarret sway bars and went with full stiff on the rears and the least stiff on the front sway bars. I also had the car set up to GT3 specs and added a Guard LSD. It took a few track days with my indy at the track to help me dial in the settings. I haven't changed it since. The car has incredible turn-in and rotation without the fear of the back end coming around, not to mention it sticks on the exit. Never added any aero because I didn't want to mess with other variables with handling.

Yep, the car is stiff on the street, but it drives like a go cart in town and on the highway and the stiffness doesn't bother me because I don't want to mess with the settings. Next year I will replace the Bilsteins with either the Bilstein Clubsports or a set of JRZs. But I dread the time it will take to set-up the JRZs on the track, but i do like the additional adjustability. I may even decide to just put on a set of PSS10s to keep it simple since I already know the characteristics of the coilovers. The only difference is that the PSS10s have 10 clicks of adjustability versus 9.

Here is the point, there is a big difference between street driving, track driving and combo street and track with the set-up, and how it will feel. Most folks on this thread wont get very serious about tracking their car beyond an occasional event, which means your requirements for coilovers and suspension parts will be minimal. Those that are big-time DE enthusiasts will want and need more.

But the more you want and need to enhance handling on the track, the harsher the ride will be on the street.

It's a trade-off.
Very curious what your ride with fully built and spec'd track suspension feels like compared to my ride with (new) stock suspension components + coilovers!
Old 07-21-2022, 01:08 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tr4ckD4ys
Very curious what your ride with fully built and spec'd track suspension feels like compared to my ride with (new) stock suspension components + coilovers!
You are welcome to drive mine. Maybe we can meet-up at PCA event this summer. I will be at the oktoberfest DE at blackhawk end of September. I hope to go to road America over labor day weekend for the event. If an oil cooling solution becomes available before the event, I'll track it, if not, I'll just go up for the day to check lap times and cheer on the guys. Pm anytime you want.

Here it is sitting at Midwest Eurosport. Stealth in look by design. But completely set up for the track.

Last edited by GC996; 07-21-2022 at 01:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GC996:
damage98MO (07-24-2022), TheChunkNorris (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 02:39 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by plpete84
One thing I've learned from people much smarter than me is that stiffer is not always faster. There is also a reason why you drop your tire air pressure on the track. It may give you a feeling of being faster but in practice it's not. Suspension is made to suspend the car and maintain a constant contact patch between as much of the tire as possible and the ground. If your set up is too stiff, the tire may skip over sharper bumps and etc and actually upset the car. You want your damper to react quickly to the changes on the road and damped in a way that it moves the wheel up and down accordingly without excessive energy transferred to the car body itself. I think that's where Ohlins really shine and why I chose them - the DFV is really something. Watching some track cars being set up, they are quite low to have the lowest center of gravity but the dampers are set quite soft to keep the car composed. It's all quite fascinating and requires testing and trial and error to dial in. Things like car weight and even the weight of the driver are taken into account as it all adds up. Just imagine a lightweight race car with a 150lb driver vs a 220lb driver. Car will definitely need different set ups.
I really want to get a ride in a car with Ohlins. It seems I might get a chance when the homie @TheChunkNorris gets back!
TheChunkNorris (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 02:43 PM
plpete84
Drifting

If you were local I'd happily offer mine! I actually found a local 996 guy with a set on his car that has been well used and had an opportunity to drive it before buying.
Old 07-21-2022, 02:47 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,065 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by barbancourt
I really want to get a ride in a car with Ohlins. It seems I might get a chance when the homie @TheChunkNorris gets back!
To be fair my car will also have GT3 sways and most of the Tarett catalogue in regards to the other supporting parts… also have the cage. Not that it matters but the GT3 Ohlins might be different than the R&R or the Dedicated series.
Old 07-21-2022, 02:54 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

The easy solution is to get Chunk back in the country as quick as we can to go on the Tail of the Dragon trip and we can all test out each other's set-ups. It would make for a good review.
barbancourt (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 03:13 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
To be fair my car will also have GT3 sways and most of the Tarett catalogue in regards to the other supporting parts… also have the cage. Not that it matters but the GT3 Ohlins might be different than the R&R or the Dedicated series.
If you come home and your car looks like this it wasn’t me.

damage98MO (07-24-2022)

Quick Reply: Coilovers... Are You Doing it Wrong?