996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Quick Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 10:32 AM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 156 Posts

Must say, put in 44 at the rear and 36 in the front. Much better. A cheap fix, who'd a thought. Thanks guys.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:03 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm putting Michelins on the 996 and the GT3 the next time they need new shoes.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:01 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 504 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedog
I'm putting Michelins on the 996 and the GT3 the next time they need new shoes.
You will love them.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:26 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,292 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Thought I would chime in on this as I was in a similar spot to the OP inheriting a less than ideal tire setup with the car, Sumi HTR ZIII that were old and tired. Truth be told, I thought on the road they made the car pretty playful, mostly because they had **** for grip. I spent the winter making improvements to the car and topped it off with PS4S in 225/40/18 and 285/35/18.

Fit - Fit my stock 18's well, the Michelin 285 is slightly wider than the Sumi that came off and paired with the taller tire did a lot for my wheel fitment game. Car is lowered on Öhlins and I have an 11MM spacer in the Front and a 15MM spacer in the rear.

RIde - No more playful sliding around, just go. After a couple hard drives grip is very impressive and I am really impressed with the overall performance of the tire / Öhlins setup on the road. Front end understeer is reduced and I would need a lot more horse power to outmatch the 285 grip in the back. Pressures are 35F and 40R. Ohlins are set 6 clicks from softest both F and R, the car is corner balanced and weighs about 3K even.

I had debated between the PS4S and the Cup 2, my car only gets driven in the dry and rarely at leisurely paces. In the end I decided for the cost I would try the PS4S and get some more useful life out of them. For the few track days I will do this year, I think these are a very viable compromise.

Thanks to the OP for his review, I enjoyed the read and found it helpful.

The following 2 users liked this post by zbomb:
barbancourt (05-16-2020), paddlefoot64 (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 08:36 PM
paddlefoot64
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 134 Posts

I couldn’t take the 44 psi in rears. I’m running 33/39. Concrete roads around here are kidney killers when running 44 psi.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:12 AM
cansis
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Davids996
Anyone have experience with General G-Max RS tires?

Saw them on TireRack. I've got 295/30 19s and 235/35 19s that need replaced. Fearful the Michelins are a little wider, since tire dimensions vary regardless of size. Currently running Contis. Thoughts?
Here’s my General GMax RS review from another thread:

”I’m not one to openly give out my opinion and negative reviews, but I had the General GMax RS’s on my 996 C4S for 2k miles and I had to take them off. The tires are very cushy and comfortable and are great for daily driving, but any time they were pushed in the twisties, they fall just fell apart (not literally) and their cheapness showed (and also probably their high treadwear rating).

I had Sumitomo HTR ZIII’s on the car for 10k miles from the previous owner before these and I was more than happy with them on spirited drives, but I think the GMaxs just have too soft of sidewalls (hence the cushy ride over rough pavement). Steering was very numb and you could feel them “fold over” and understeer and turn to mush on turn in. The car didn’t rotate and you could hear the tires “scrub” when cornering. I was constantly making back and forth steering corrections mid corner and it got to the point that I had no confidence in them when pushed in corners. I just felt like I really had no idea what the front end was doing. I really wanted to like them, which is why I gave them 2k miles, even though they felt bad from the start.

I ended up doing what I was trying to avoid in the first place, and purchased the old and twice as expensive Michelin PS2s. I hate to admit it, but the PS2s are night and day over the Generals. Yes, at twice the price, I expected some differences, but they really are twice the tire. I’m still bitter at Michelin for making me fork out that much money on old tire technology though. Please, Michelin, make the PSS or PS4S in Turbo/C4S sizes!!!”

To sum it up, the General GMax RS’s are fine for casual driving and commuter miles. I just can’t recommend them for any type of performance related driving, even at their incredible price.”
The following 2 users liked this post by cansis:
barbancourt (05-19-2020), paddlefoot64 (05-19-2020)

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Quick Review