Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 10:17 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Use an aluminum “Stato-seal”

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=3245

The following 2 users liked this post by fpb111:
808Bill (04-30-2020), TexSquirrel (04-29-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 01:08 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

I see big differences with the root of the threads in some of the sump plates, as well as how flat they are at the sealing surface. The stock drain plugs are cheaply made, and they are not anodized. This makes them more compliant to irregularities in the sump plate than the very rigid, and strong LN plug, which is anodized. The stock plugs are so soft, that they will easily strip internally, on their hex, as an indicator of their quality.

In lots of cases we have to spot face the sump plate to solve leaks when I offered the IMS Guardian, which was also a high quality plug that could see the same effects of the variability in sump plates.

Loctite 565 solved those issues, as a band aid, but the root of the issue is the variability in the threads, and sealing surface of the stock sump plate. This is an issue that never occurred to engines with super early sump plates, which were machined with tighter fitting threads, and a totally flat sealing surface.

What you are seeing is a scenario where the plug seems to be the logical issue "because it never happened with the stock plug", but in reality the better quality plug is actually showing the underlying condition that the stock plug was making up for.

When we take the time to spot face the sump plate, making the surface totally flat, the issues tho away... Of course, the sealing washer also can make a difference in this as well. These things are true with any engine, I just fought this with my 1942 Half- track.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:21 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I see big differences with the root of the threads in some of the sump plates, as well as how flat they are at the sealing surface. The stock drain plugs are cheaply made, and they are not anodized. This makes them more compliant to irregularities in the sump plate than the very rigid, and strong LN plug, which is anodized. The stock plugs are so soft, that they will easily strip internally, on their hex, as an indicator of their quality.

In lots of cases we have to spot face the sump plate to solve leaks when I offered the IMS Guardian, which was also a high quality plug that could see the same effects of the variability in sump plates.

Loctite 565 solved those issues, as a band aid, but the root of the issue is the variability in the threads, and sealing surface of the stock sump plate. This is an issue that never occurred to engines with super early sump plates, which were machined with tighter fitting threads, and a totally flat sealing surface.

What you are seeing is a scenario where the plug seems to be the logical issue "because it never happened with the stock plug", but in reality the better quality plug is actually showing the underlying condition that the stock plug was making up for.

When we take the time to spot face the sump plate, making the surface totally flat, the issues tho away... Of course, the sealing washer also can make a difference in this as well. These things are true with any engine, I just fought this with my 1942 Half- track.
Thanks for the comment. I was in no means trying to be critical of the product. Next, oil change, I will use your recommendations.

Quick Reply: LN Drain Plug leak