Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New-to-me CD changer is unresponsive. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 09:07 PM
thefleshrocket
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New-to-me CD changer is unresponsive. Help!

I've got an '02 Cab with the PCM 1.0 and CDC-3 changer in the frunk. The PO didn't have the magazine for the changer, so I bought a claimed-good CDC-3 with magazine still inserted from another Rennlister. With the car off, I disconnected my CDC-3 and connected its replacement. It whirred for a couple seconds and then went quiet. I hit the eject button on it but nothing happened. I turned the ignition to the accessory position so that the radio powered up. I hit the CD button but it said No CD. I tried turning the ignition on and off, unplugging and replugging power to the CDC-3, but I can't get it to do anything. No whirs, no sounds whatsoever, no response to the eject button, and the dash unit indicates No CD. The seller said he'd left a CD in it to trick the system into working with the Bluetooth adapter he'd had wired in.

Anyway, I'm lost. What do I try next?
Old 04-21-2020, 09:32 PM
thefleshrocket
Instructor

Related thoughts--is it possible that the car's PO disconnected something upstream of the CD changer, like to hook up a Dension unit or something? Is it possible that my PCM 1.0 head unit is somehow not programmed to recognize the CD changer?
Old 04-22-2020, 01:27 AM
thefleshrocket
Instructor

Okay, so I figured it out. First order of business was getting the magazine out. I found this thread which showed that there was a little plunger that, if pushed back, should cause the magazine to pop out. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...on-t-play.html Unfortunately, pushing that plunger didn't create the desired result. So I went ahead and disassembled the entire CDC-3. There was indeed a CD in it, which I pushed back into the magazine. Then I tried pushing the plunger again, but the magazine remained steadfastly in its home. I plugged in the CDC-3 to my 911, and it made whirring noises. I hit the eject button, et voila! The magazine popped out.

My guess is that our friends at USPS were just unpleasant enough with the package that it caused the CD to become slightly dislodged and the CDC-3 got.. confused.

I tried the magazine in my original CDC-3 and it worked fine there as well.

Then, after strongly contemplating just throwing it in the trash, I managed to successfully reassemble the spare CDC-3 with only one screw missing. (Which is especially impressive given that I did it on my kitchen counter with my kids hovering around.) Best part, the spare CDC-3 actually works. Yay!

Quick Reply: New-to-me CD changer is unresponsive. Help!