Sponsored by:

puff of smoke on the track - from what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 10:08 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Which deep sump do you have, 1/2 qt or 2 qt?
not sure who the question is addressed to, but I have the 2 qt LN sump with baffle

Originally Posted by David993S
May be the start of AOS failure, but not necessarily. Are you running a full oil level? (as measured on the dipstick). It should be about halfway between the low mark and the full mark. Were you getting any puff of smoke upon start-up prior to a track session? Do you shut the car off immediately after coming in from the track? If either of those last two, let it idle for a minute or two when you come in off the track before shutting off. Otherwise, get the AOS tested.
AOS is pretty new. No smoke on start up, but I do shut the engine off pretty quick after getting to the paddock. I looked at the oil level on the dash - didn't check the actual dipstick. Again it was 2 lines below full.

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
i think the more important question is........where in the heck did you find an open track event during this pandemic?!
LOL Eagles Canyon Raceway in Decatur TX has open track days once a month.
https://eaglescanyon.com/#OpenTrackDay
Old 04-19-2020, 10:20 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,803 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Originally Posted by lowpue
This was exactly my earlier point. How can a layman like me know what the right thing to do when the experts I respect don't even agree on where the oil level should be. Like I always say, these engines have a bit of black magic going on. Now I have a 3.8 with deepsump, but I am just resigning to the fact that at some point I will need to put in another engine because no one really knows how to make these damn things bullet proof except maybe Flat6.
Even the bulletproof FSI engine can fail from a brand new Porsche AOS..That's why I invented the UAOS !!

The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 11:46 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
You also need to be aware that some of the newer 996 engines have longer dipstciks and re-calibrated electronic dash gauges to have a lower oil level from the Factory as to help with smoking on long sweepers on the track. If you have an engine with the longer dipstick/re-calibrated dash, AND you run it low on the stick/dash, you will be VERY low on oil level !!!

I'll see if I can dig up the Factory info on identifying the longer dipstick changes ect...
I'd like to know more about the Dipstick changes.
Old 04-20-2020, 01:21 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Not to put fear in your heart....I had a similar issue a few years back generally at the end of a long sweeping right on the track....every now and then a puff... everyone at the track said it's AOS, which was just put in....my mechanics said it's AOS and that likely oil level was too high. Was told to keep oil at half full mark. So I sucked out some oil to get to half full. So on my next track day I went out and saw a puff of smoke on the first lap after sweeping right then on the second lap on that same turn the engine blew...oil starvation on the crankshaft. Catastrophic failure....I would do an oil analysis to see if a crank bearing has worn.

.... "catastrophic failure"... I'm not a mechanic, but that would be an accurate description in my humble opinion.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:53 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ratchet1025
Same here, I run it at about the 3/4 mark at the track and on street and have never had an issue (knock on wood).
Originally Posted by JTT
loupue, are you talking about halfway between the top mark and bottom mark? That is the recommendation from Jake and several others (measured cold) I thought.
You also need to be aware that some of the newer 996 engines have longer dipstciks and re-calibrated electronic dash gauges to have a lower oil level from the Factory as to help with smoking on long sweepers on the track. If you have an engine with the longer dipstick/re-calibrated dash, AND you run it low on the stick/dash, you will be VERY low on oil level !!!

I'll see if I can dig up the Factory info on identifying the longer dipstick changes ect...
Originally Posted by 808Bill
I'd like to know more about the Dipstick changes.
I didn't spend too much time looking for my paper material and since I'm retired I don't have electronic access to the Porsche After Sales site, but I remember the "need to know" stuff. Here it is..

Pic 1 is the 9.3 quart dipstick, pic 2 is the 8.7 quart dipstick, identified by the "ears" on the stick.

The 8.7 quart dipstick was a running change installed from engine number 662 11795 on to help with smoking on high G-force turns at the track.

IF an newer engine was installed that had the newer dipstick, the instrument cluster was to be re-programed/re-calibrated to use the 8.7 quart dipstick instead of the 9.3 quart dipstick.

If you are running the 8.7 dipstick AND setting the level at HALF full, you are running at about 1 quart low from the original design !!! ( a deeper sump is a must in this situation)..

9.3 quart dipstick

8.7 quart dipstick ( has the "ears" on it )

The following users liked this post:
808Bill (04-21-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 07:03 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

Jeez....now another thing to worry about!
Old 04-20-2020, 07:11 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Jeez....now another thing to worry about!
LOL,, No nothing to worry about, just info everyone needs to know if they are driving the cars HARD (track environment).

And listen to people who really know..
Old 04-20-2020, 08:27 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,332 Posts

I didn't spend too much time looking for my paper material and since I'm retired I don't have electronic access to the Porsche After Sales site, but I remember the "need to know" stuff. Here it is..

Pic 1 is the 9.3 quart dipstick, pic 2 is the 8.7 quart dipstick, identified by the "ears" on the stick.

The 8.7 quart dipstick was a running change installed from engine number 662 11795 on to help with smoking on high G-force turns at the track.

IF an newer engine was installed that had the newer dipstick, the instrument cluster was to be re-programed/re-calibrated to use the 8.7 quart dipstick instead of the 9.3 quart dipstick.

If you are running the 8.7 dipstick AND setting the level at HALF full, you are running at about 1 quart low from the original design !!! ( a deeper sump is a must in this situation)..

9.3 quart dipstick

8.7 quart dipstick ( has the "ears" on it )
Mine not has 1 o-ring, but doesn’t have any ears.
Do the o-rings not matter?
Or has my dipstick been replaced?
Old 04-20-2020, 08:39 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Mine not has 1 o-ring, but doesn’t have any ears.
Do the o-rings not matter?
Or has my dipstick been replaced?
It's only the "ears" that identify the 8.7 quart dipstick.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:49 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,332 Posts

I just crawled underneath my car and looked.
I have engine number 66207439.
That makes sense, when I change my oil I add 10.5qts and I’m near the middle of the dipstick, maybe slightly lower.
(+2qt deep sump)
Old 04-20-2020, 09:18 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Porschetech

Not to derail this thread. But im confused and your info may help my issue. My dipstick has the ears. Yet the mitchell data base we use at work indicates my car, an 04 C4S, takes 9.25 qts. I also have a 2 qt LN deep sump with the spin on filter. I have always been doing 11 qts with my oil change. Oil was changed weeks ago. Dipstick shows slightly (1/8th inch) overfilled and the onboard shows max level - car has been sitting for a week. During track events i would always dump about a half quart to maintain half way on the stick and the onboard matches.

If i understand you info correctly. My "with ears" dipstick should be 8.7 qts and not 9.3 as indicated by the service manual we use?

Your opinion?

edit: just checked that thing no one reads. I think its called an owners manual. It also says 8.7 qts with filter. WTF!
Old 04-20-2020, 09:32 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
was on the track with my 99 Boxster yesterday; base engine has 125k miles; no mods except exhaust, deep sump with baffles, and underdrive pulley. Mobil1 10W40 oil, running about 1-2 lines below max on the dash gauge. OEM Porsche AOS done about 4k ago.
after a sweeping left hander, i saw a large billow of white smoke from rear of the car going down the straight. Lasted 1-2 seconds. No CEL, and never happened again the rest of the day.
any thoughts? did I just blow a little extra oil through the intake?
I experienced exactly the same with both 986 and 996. Solved it for the 986 by stopping taking it to the track. Not so easy with the 996 as it has become my track car. Last year I switched to the Porsche motorsports AOS - problem solved!
Old 04-20-2020, 09:41 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple Black
I experienced exactly the same with both 986 and 996. Solved it for the 986 by stopping taking it to the track. Not so easy with the 996 as it has become my track car. Last year I switched to the Porsche motorsports AOS - problem solved!
While the Porsche Motorsports AOS is arguably better than stock, there are instances of the Motorsports AOS failing too. Certainly less likely, but don't think it can't happen.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:43 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
Porschetech

Not to derail this thread. But im confused and your info may help my issue. My dipstick has the ears. Yet the mitchell data base we use at work indicates my car, an 04 C4S, takes 9.25 qts. I also have a 2 qt LN deep sump with the spin on filter. I have always been doing 11 qts with my oil change. Oil was changed weeks ago. Dipstick shows slightly (1/8th inch) overfilled and the onboard shows max level - car has been sitting for a week. During track events i would always dump about a half quart to maintain half way on the stick and the onboard matches.

If i understand you info correctly. My "with ears" dipstick should be 8.7 qts and not 9.3 as indicated by the service manual we use?

Your opinion?

edit: just checked that thing no one reads. I think its called an owners manual. It also says 8.7 qts with filter. WTF!
Yep, you have the "ears" it is the 8.7 quart dipstick, your owners manual is correct.

There is many bad info/specs out in the wild, hell even Porsche botches the info a lot, mostly due to translation issues though.

"There is no substitute for experience."
Old 04-20-2020, 11:13 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
While the Porsche Motorsports AOS is arguably better than stock, there are instances of the Motorsports AOS failing too. Certainly less likely, but don't think it can't happen.
I have never had an AOS failure but I have experienced lots of smoke screen on track with the stock AOS, both in the 986 and the 996. First time it happened I was sure I had major engine damage. Since installing the motorsports AOS I have not seen any smoke at all. Not saying it will never fail but so far I'm very happy with it.

Quick Reply: puff of smoke on the track - from what?