Sponsored by:

"Drive them all"....How?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 12:00 PM
HDH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default "Drive them all"....How?

Hi, been lingering for a while, first post. I don't own a 911 but hope to within the next, 6-8 months or so (COVID-permitting), either 996.2 or 997.1. I currently own an '09 3-series, manual, love driving and looking forward to the Porsche experience. I do most of my own wrenching.

But I've never driven a 911, and don't know anyone who owns one.

Ergonomics are critically important, above almost everything else (except it must be MT), so my question is, how do I go about finding cars to drive to get an idea of which model and seat variants fit me best? I consider it bad form to respond to local ads just for the purpose of a test drive, knowing I'm not ready to buy yet. Unless from a dealer, but 996 and 7's are few and far between in semi-upstate NY, though I'm fine driving a long-ish distance and making a day of it.

I thought of seeking out local owners and offering...lunch, a dollar amount, some type of consideration for a look around their car and to spend some time in it. Beyond that I'm not sure how else to go about this.

In the meantime I'm on the way up the learning curve on all fronts and loving these forums for that purpose.

Any input appreciated.
Howard

Last edited by HDH; 04-09-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:17 PM
mrdeezy
Banned

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Go to carmax. The Pca Porsche club America has some programs for this too.

I think its bad form to go test drive cars unless I am ready to buy the car and finish a transaction that day. Most of the time I don't test drive cars. I find it awkward and I hate having my cars test driven, for the most part because I have had horror stories of reckless driving with a stranger driving my car and me stuck in the passenger seat. I really think the two options I noted above are the only two where its not tacky and normally accepted to drive someone else's sports car. Some dealers might be cool about it. But you should go in the morning on a weekday when there is nobody there. I would not go waste someones time when they are working on commission, unless you are up front with them and what you are doing.

The following 2 users liked this post by mrdeezy:
dporto (04-09-2020), HDH (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 01:28 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 937 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by mrdeezy
The Pca Porsche club America has some programs for this too.
I agree with this. Sign up for your local PCA chapter (It's cheap and comes with a magazine,) attend your first "new member" meeting or whatever your chapter offers, and meet people! The motto of PCA is "It's not just the cars, it's the people," so I'd be gobsmacked if you didn't run into at least one person who'd be willing to let you drive their car.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dr_Strangelove:
az968gpw (04-09-2020), HDH (04-09-2020), mrdeezy (04-09-2020), Porschetech3 (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 02:28 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 261 Posts

There is a club that started a couple of years ago here in the northwest which is for all car Enthusiasts called Avants that is growing like crazy and expanding into other markets called Avants. They have all sorts of events (and vendor discounts including Griots and Discount Tire) but one of those events is called "drive everything" events. https://www.avants.com/events/2020/4...-emerald-downs
This even is a blast because owners can swap cars if they want or just go for rides in others cars. All optional of course. In addition they sponsor driving events with dealers. By far the best club I have ever been part of.
So if you are in the northwest, I would join the club and just go for a ride with members. As much of car nut that I am, the most fun car I was in around the skidpad and mini auto-x was Some suped up Ford Focus....surprised me quite frankly.

Good Luck.
The following users liked this post:
HDH (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 03:08 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Can you just find some in your area for sale and test drive them?
Old 04-09-2020, 03:57 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Where do you live?
Old 04-09-2020, 06:15 PM
Weazer
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Me, personally, I would wait until I was ready to buy then test drive the various models that you're considering and within your budget. This way you're not offending any seller and not wasting anyone's time. Just sayin.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:43 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 172 Posts

I think its bad form to go test drive cars unless I am ready to buy the car and finish a transaction that day. Most of the time I don't test drive cars. I find it awkward and I hate having my cars test driven, for the most part because I have had horror stories of reckless driving with a stranger driving my car and me stuck in the passenger seat.

Haha, I know what you mean. What is your preferred method to sell a vehicle? It sounds like you have bought and sold a few.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:00 PM
HDH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Optionman1
Where do you live?
Have to update my profile...

Rockland County, NY. Minutes from North Jersey area.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:03 PM
HDH
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I am now a newly minted PCA "Test Drive" member.
mrdeezy (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 08:07 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by HDH
Have to update my profile...

Rockland County, NY. Minutes from North Jersey area.
I grew up in North Jersey and now live in Trenton. When this social distancing ends i’ll be happy to let you take a spin in my 03 4s. I’ve never driven a rwd 911 to compare with my awd, but i’ll just describe the 4s ride as video game like/on rails/point & go, pick any or all of those.
HDH (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 08:37 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 245 Posts

Our local chapter is Central New York PCA.
We cover from Pa border to north of Syracuse, West of the Hudson to about Rochester area.
A big chunk of NY.
Did you specify your budget? Or options other than M/T?
I am west of Binghamton, about 50 miles south east of Watkins Glen, 2 hours west of Delaware Water Gap.
I would be glad to take you for a ride in a slightly modified 996.2 Carrera Aero after the Covid infection starts to correct.
HDH (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 08:51 PM
mrdeezy
Banned

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by c didy
Haha, I know what you mean. What is your preferred method to sell a vehicle? It sounds like you have bought and sold a few.
I usually don't write anything dumb like "no test drive" "caSH in hand drive oNly" in the ad.

I never invite anyone to drive a car. Cars are expensive and you never know who will show up. If the guy seems legitimate and spent a lot of time inquiring about the car or drove a long way. I would let them drive it. I always need to feel it out in person first. A lot of people here get offended with the no test drive thing. Really its not like you are comparing a camry to a civic and want the most legroom or whatever. You should really know what you are buying at this point. If I don't feel totally comfortable with a seller, I am not buying the car anyways. For me to test drive a car, I would have to believe that the guy is hiding something. (if that where the case I would take off before that point asap) or he doesn't know jack about his sports car (would take off at that point also) So the test drive is almost irrelevant to me. "Buy seller not the item" theory applies here. If its an economy type car I do test drives usually no problem. These cars have failure points and are extremely expensive to fix not to mention old. I just don't see the point in just letting any stranger test drive my expensive car. I have to do some pre-qualifications. I have seen too much, heard of cars being wrecked during test drives had all kinds of issues. It's really not worth it unless you kind of have an idea who the person is.
Also when I show a car to someone I clean it and get it ready ....so tack an extra hour, then another hour to show it to a guy. SO if you just come over to test my car you wasted two hours of my time and put my property in jeopardy for selfish reasons.
HDH (04-10-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 09:52 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Our local chapter is Central New York PCA.
We cover from Pa border to north of Syracuse, West of the Hudson to about Rochester area.
A big chunk of NY.
Did you specify your budget? Or options other than M/T?
I am west of Binghamton, about 50 miles south east of Watkins Glen, 2 hours west of Delaware Water Gap.
I would be glad to take you for a ride in a slightly modified 996.2 Carrera Aero after the Covid infection starts to correct.
Beautiful area for sure...I spent my college years in Ithaca! Loved it.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:57 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by lowpue
Beautiful area for sure...I spent my college years in Ithaca! Loved it.
It is a beautiful area.
We go to Ithaca often for dinner, great restaurants

Quick Reply: "Drive them all"....How?