Sponsored by:

Crank, no start... maybe more

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 02:00 PM
Dan Cronin
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Crank, no start... maybe more

Help from the the community would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the issue...

I put my 2000 Cab Tiptronic up on my lift to do a little brake work. Nothing fancy, just painting calipers. While I had it on the lift I noticed my rear right tire was asymmetrically worn from a bad alignment job I had done a few months ago. While I was waiting for a new tire, I figured I'd install some paddle shifters with the battery disconnected. It was actually a pretty easy job and I buttoned up the steering wheel and thought I'd start up the engine and see if the shifters worked. I started the engine and it ran rough... in fact I heard a mechanical "bang" sound come from the rear of the car. (Shifters worked at least.) I thought it could be a battery charging issue, so I plugged it in to the trickle charger overnight. In the morning, I tried to start it again, got another mechanical "bang" sound. Now it will crank, but won't start... sputters a little.

Of note, a couple weeks ago I may have over-filled the coolant overflow tank. The tank is less than a couple years old. Since then I've been loosing coolant. I bought a new cap, so I hope that solves the problem, but I haven't been able to start the engine to find out.

No codes pending or otherwise.

I'm at a loss... my thoughts are:
1) Did I do something to the airbag when I installed my shifters resulting in an immobilization fault? No airbag light as far as I can tell.
2) Did I blow a fuse to the fuel pump or something else? I need to check the fuses tonight.
3) What was the "bang"? Have I done something more catastrophic related to the coolant? The engine turns, and there are no oil leaks. Transmission issue? IMS solution was installed a couple years ago.

Any thoughts would be helpful as far as where to start.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:52 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,646 Likes on 2,105 Posts

Mechanical bang = Oh Sh*t !! (fingers crossed)

Check cam timing first ( as precaution to doing more damage from trying to start).

If cam timing OK, then disconnect MAF sensor and try starting again ( it's possible the fuel trim had adjust way off base and disconnecting the battery re-set to 0 trim and the "bang" was a lean backfire)
Old 03-19-2020, 04:39 PM
Dan Cronin
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

God I hope it's something simple like the MAF.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:08 PM
ChrisI
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 57 Posts

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to the ON position? If not, check your fuel pump relay. If you can jump the terminals and then hear it prime, it should start, and there's your problem. I forget which terminal numbers you jump but you can find that online easily.
HTH

Quick Reply: Crank, no start... maybe more