Sponsored by:

Looking to buy and have questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 07:50 PM
NewPorscheFan
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy and have questions

Hello everyone I am rand new to this forum and hoping to be a Porsche owner very soon.

I have a couple questions (for now) about the maintenance cost and hassles of a 996 C2.

I am looking at a '99 C2 with around 55k miles on it. I have not come across an clear reviews in regard to how long these cars last.

With 55k on it will it still run strong for years to come?
With this many miles am I going to be paying out a lot each year for service?
Do these cars have many mechanical problems?
Any thing to look for when buying one? - options, problems anything...?

I am also considering a Boxster which would have less miles on it, but I am a much bigger fan of the 911.

Any information is appreciated and I hope to have pictures to post soon-

Cheers-
Old 03-04-2004, 10:30 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Make sure all service records are up to date, and that the car has had all maintenance and TSB's done

Among the exotic and also exotic class of cars, Porsche has a reputation for longevity. There are a lot of the older Porsches that are still running well that are for sale on E-bay and other markets. A well maintained used Porsche is a gem, a neglected one a money pit.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:01 AM
Boxsterdoc47
Instructor

I agree with Palting, service records are a must and have a porsche mechanic look it over well, both boxsters and 911 are both great cars....buy the best you can afford and have fun.....
Old 03-05-2004, 07:47 AM
NewPorscheFan
4th Gear

Thanks for the information.

Is traction control standard on the C2 or is it an option?
Also is 60K miles a time for a major service? or is that done at 50K?

Thanks for the help and when I find a car I will have to change my user name to something better. It was the best I could come up with late last night when I wanted to start asking questions

Cheers
Old 03-05-2004, 09:58 AM
BostonMarkC
Racer

Porshe's traction/stability control, known as Porshe Stability Management (PSM) is optional on the C2 and Boxsters.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:55 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Make sure you are aware of all of the options that are available for the model you are looking for. Then determine which ones are a "must have" as you start to search. When I got my first Porsche, I made the mistake of not getting certain options and ended up selling the car to get another one (still hearing about it from the wife!). As noted above, PSM is an option on the C2. In my mind this would be a "must have" option. (I'm also big on Litronics and Heated Seats.) Certain options you can always add later, but some, such as PSM, cannot be retrofitted.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Boxsterdoc47
Instructor

Agree with DaveMO fully.....some options are a must especially PSM and others can be upgraded radio,litronics,heated seats......ps are there any agencies in London that you can rent a 911 for a weekend.....may be ther during the summer and would like to do some touring....
Old 03-06-2004, 05:34 AM
NewPorscheFan
4th Gear

I am sure there are places to rent things like that. Ill check for you. I just would not reccomend coming into central London if you have never driven here before.

Thanks for the information- what are litronics?
Old 03-06-2004, 08:33 AM
OH997
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would attempt to get a car with an extended warranty from Porsche for piece of mind. Cost is $1595 and will extend the warranty 2 years to a total of 100,000 miles. Small price to pay considering a major problem could result in major repair bills

Quick Reply: Looking to buy and have questions