Sponsored by:

Maryland and my Valentine One

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004 | 07:11 PM
Flott Leben
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Maryland and my Valentine One

Just drove through Maryland yesterday on I-95 and noticed a large number of troopers, some in unmarked Mustangs and Camaros. However, my Valentine One did not go off at all. Anyone from Maryland know if the troopers there are all exclusively using laser and/or 'instant on' radar?
Old 03-02-2004 | 10:59 PM
LanceK
Pro

I'm not sure about Maryland but mine never goes off in N.Y. either.

I even got a ticket over the summer and my detector never went off. I'm beginning to think my unit is broken.
Old 03-02-2004 | 11:47 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Depending on where you saw the troopers on 95, they maybe using vascar (timer system). There's a couple area's heading north of the beltway where the road has cross lines across the lanes, these are the timing marks.
Old 03-03-2004 | 01:09 AM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

i find it more useful to be alert and vigilant than to use a radar detector. vascar is indeed common in maryland-- especially on sunny days
Old 03-03-2004 | 02:07 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Ideal roads for lettting it out: divided highways where the opposite side is not close and the road is elevated enough so that guard rails are on both sides; no overpasses, or bridges, and no airplanes aloft! .. Oh, and no traffic either.
Old 03-03-2004 | 11:07 AM
Flott Leben
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not familiar with vascar. Can anyone explain the principles behind it and how it is used? Thanks.
Old 03-03-2004 | 11:11 AM
Flott Leben
Addict
Rennlist Member

My experience is all of the above. Radar (continuous and instant on) and laser. The Camaros and Mustangs are new additions as are some SUVs (I think they are Explorers). They will also pace you. The cars in question have some extra antennas but otherwise are somewhat hard to spot in your rear view mirror....
Thanks, Peter.
Old 03-03-2004 | 12:14 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

They are currently utilizing LASER - I friend of mine is on the SWAT team. Hopefully, you have a get out of jail free card, without it - :-(
Old 03-03-2004 | 09:01 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by RJMDAD996
They are currently utilizing LASER - I friend of mine is on the SWAT team. Hopefully, you have a get out of jail free card, without it - :-(
i'm in on the M5 group buy for the new (not even out yet) lidatek le-30 laser jammer. i believe it is still open - go to the site, register and get in on it.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...0&page=3&pp=35
Old 03-03-2004 | 11:43 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Even with LASER your unit should go off if it's pointed at you. You may not have any time to react but it should sound off- mine definitely has! Only problem with LASER is it's band is so narrow it's you he's pointed at (little scatter) and you'd better have incredible reflexes!! And yes, VASCAR is simply a stopwatch and known distance markers- nothing is emitted to intercept unfortunately.
Old 03-04-2004 | 10:13 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

ski is right - the laser beam is so tight that there is very little 'scatter' for the V1 to pick up unless you're lucky enough for the laser beam to drift a bit and score a direct hit on the V1.

laser is aimed at points that will reflect the most - license plate and headlights. if you can run without a front plate, that should help your chances a bit. i'm double-lucky in my 951 as no headlights during the day! with no front plate, i'm a relatively stealthy target.

one thing that may help you if you really want to make it a game - get a portable scanner, do a little digging on the internet and find the air/ground frequencies that the state police use up there. if they have an aircraft up you'll be notified.

when i worked in local news, i was in a vehicle that had a couple of scanners. the air/ground freq is low-power enough that - when active - you only hear it when you're getting right in the area where they are working. in other words - if you hear something on the air/ground freq, slow down and look in the sky. this tactic saved me many times when my V1 (or any detector) was useless due to the fact that there was nothing to detect!!

its extreme, i realize, but something to consider. then again - if they're pacing by using other vehicles on the ground...thats a different story.

oh - they can also laser you from behind - say, an on-ramp. not as common, but since you have to be stationary to operate the laser, its becoming more of an option for johnny law.
Old 03-04-2004 | 12:39 PM
Flott Leben
Addict
Rennlist Member

oh - they can also laser you from behind - say, an on-ramp. not as common, but since you have to be stationary to operate the laser, its becoming more of an option for johnny law.
Washington, you are so right. I noticed a few unmarked cars on the right side of the road, parked on the side of an onramp. Although not as traditional, it is now being done more often. However, if you are paying attention (as I was) you can spot him, slow down and move over before he can hit you. One trouper even gave me a really nasty look as I went by because he knew I slowed down and could see the cord from my V-1 hanging down from the rearview mirror. He didn't bother to clock me though.
Old 03-04-2004 | 09:45 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

ha! love it. i really look at this as a little game between me and the police. if/when i do get pulled over for speeding, i'm respectful and helpful as i figure i've won a LOT of these confrontations and he just won ONE.

anyway - side note: i got a 3.5 MILE advance warning on a Ka Band constant-on radar two nights ago on alligator alley with my V1. not surprising given how flat and straight that area is, but pretty amazing...
Old 03-04-2004 | 10:41 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Yes a scanner is very helpful. Back in the 55 days I used one a lot but it got to be a pain carrying so much stuff in the car! At least in Iowa you'd never notice the plane without actually knowing it's there- they are pretty high! There are lists around, probably from the same people you get the scanner from. The newer portable scanners at least are smaller and can be used at races to listen to the chatter from the pits to the cars- great fun! You can catch Paul Tracy unfiltered- and that's an education!

Quick Reply: Maryland and my Valentine One