Sponsored by:

IMS BEARING AND CRANK SEAL REPLACEMENT

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 10:43 AM
parris
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

It is the single row for the 00 to 04 cars... and yes... it is really expensive

You better check the application for a specific car with the parts guys at the Porsche dealer
The following users liked this post:
jasmanjr (02-06-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 10:52 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by parris
It is the single row for the 00 to 04 cars... and yes... it is really expensive

You better check the application for a specific car with the parts guys at the Porsche dealer
It was listed at about $500 at Sunset. Not cheap. But for a small fistful of dollars more, you can get an LN retrofit.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:34 AM
ltaylor02
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
The flange bolts and center bolt are open to oil inside the crankcase - hence the thread sealer. This is a normal part of IMSB replacement. I'm interested in why you would disregard the pre-qualification process, as it's meant to protect you in the long run? By the looks of the flange and the surrounding area, it's been cleaned up quite a bit - was it leaking before?
I know that thread sealer is used. I'm was pointing out the use of torque seal, which is used to check the bolts and nut for any loosening. I use torque seal on nearly every fastener in my planes, but I haven't seen used in most auto work. I'm comfortable qualifying myself and performing the work. I appreciate your feedback.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:44 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltaylor02
I know that thread sealer is used. I'm was pointing out the use of torque seal, which is used to check the bolts and nut for any loosening. I use torque seal on nearly every fastener in my planes, but I haven't seen used in most auto work. I'm comfortable qualifying myself and performing the work. I appreciate your feedback.
I've been trying to piece together little bits of your posts to build a picture. I figured you may have messed with planes. Do you have your own plane(s), or work on them? The Oscoda connection is what has me curious. Do you have a connection with Wurtsmith, or their air museum?

It's been a while, but we used to compete in autocrosses at the airport there. Great site and good vacation country.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:16 PM
ltaylor02
Intermediate

The flange bolts and center bolt are open to oil inside the crankcase - hence the thread sealer. This is a normal part of IMSB replacement. I'm interested in why you would disregard the pre-qualification process, as it's meant to protect you in the long run? By the looks of the flange and the surrounding area, it's been cleaned up quite a bit - was it leaking before?
Oh, and yes, I cleaned the area, but hard to tell if oil contaminants was from IMS or RMS.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:02 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

Ok, so by "Torque Seal" I assume you mean something like Loc-Tite (thread locker) - it looks like there's some red stuff on the center nut). It's not recommended in the instructions for "The Solution" - And I certainly wouldn't use "red", as that's generally reserved for connections that are never to come apart. In any case, whatever you decide, I hope it works out for you. Good luck with the work
Old 02-05-2020, 03:00 PM
ltaylor02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
I've been trying to piece together little bits of your posts to build a picture. I figured you may have messed with planes. Do you have your own plane(s), or work on them? The Oscoda connection is what has me curious. Do you have a connection with Wurtsmith, or their air museum?

It's been a while, but we used to compete in autocrosses at the airport there. Great site and good vacation country.
Hey Scott. Yes, since retiring from the Navy I have build four experimental aircraft and restored another 5. I currently own and fly a Titan T51 Mustang (profile pic), which I restored a few years back. I also share a Bonanza A36 with a Buddy. Yes. I hanger both planes at Wurtsmith and have the privilege of flying from a beautifully new 12,000' long runway. Fast cars and planes right!
Old 02-05-2020, 03:03 PM
ltaylor02
Intermediate

Ok, so by "Torque Seal" I assume you mean something like Loc-Tite (thread locker) - it looks like there's some red stuff on the center nut). It's not recommended in the instructions for "The Solution" - And I certainly wouldn't use "red", as that's generally reserved for connections that are never to come apart. In any case, whatever you decide, I hope it works out for you. Good luck with the work
Well, not exactly. Torque seal is used to "mark" fasteners, both on the fastener itself and and the face of the seating surface. This forms a bridge of torque seal which is visually inspected to ensure that the bridge is intact. If not, the fastener has moved. The three flange fasteners and the nut had torque seal placed on them, which washed off when I cleaned the area.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:04 PM
ltaylor02
Intermediate

Hey Scott. Yes, since retiring from the Navy I have build four experimental aircraft and restored another 5. I currently own and fly a Titan T51 Mustang (profile pic), which I restored a few years back. I also share a Bonanza A36 with a Buddy. Yes. I hanger both planes at Wurtsmith and have the privilege of flying from a beautifully new 12,000' long runway. Fast cars and planes right!
ASSA still runs three to five events yearly hear, which are great to watch from the ground and from the air!
Old 02-05-2020, 03:08 PM
ltaylor02
Intermediate

I have been able to determine that the IMS bearing was replaced and that the OEM flange was reused. Unfortunately, I am unable to determine what replacement bearing was used, when the work was done, and by whom. I am replacing regardless along with all many other preventive maintenance components.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:12 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

Well, not exactly. Torque seal is used to "mark" fasteners, both on the fastener itself and and the face of the seating surface. This forms a bridge of torque seal which is visually inspected to ensure that the bridge is intact. If not, the fastener has moved. The three flange fasteners and the nut had torque seal placed on them, which washed off when I cleaned the area.
Ahhhhh... I can be a little thick sometimes! I've always called that "nail polish"
Satan666 (02-17-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 03:25 PM
ltaylor02
Intermediate

Ahhhhh... I can be a little thick sometimes! I've always called that "nail polish"
Haha...all good. Hey and that's a great idea. I'll steal my wife's and daughther's and save my money! lol
Old 02-05-2020, 03:46 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

ASSA still runs three to five events yearly hear, which are great to watch from the ground and from the air!
Not familiar with ASSA. My google did not find something that makes sense. Is this cars, or planes? If cars, you probably mean SCCA. That's the club I belong to and run with.

Here are a couple of shots from a couple of my most 'recent' trips to Wurtsmith.

Old 02-05-2020, 04:03 PM
ltaylor02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Not familiar with ASSA. My google did not find something that makes sense. Is this cars, or planes? If cars, you probably mean SCCA. That's the club I belong to and run with.

Here are a couple of shots from a couple of my most 'recent' trips to Wurtsmith.

Sorry...I should read what I type prior to firing. Yes....SCCA! Those are great pics and looks like such great fun. I ran a buddy's 1986 911 SCCA when I was stationed at NAS Pensacola. Fantastic fun!
Old 02-17-2020, 02:53 PM
ltaylor02
Intermediate

IMS bearing replacement went very well; surprisingly straight forward process. The existing bearing appeared fine, but I replaced anyway. I used the Pelican bearing. I don't drive my 911 for five to six months during Michigan's winter weather. So I plan to replace the IMS bearing every two years regardless of mileage. I enjoy the work and have plenty of winter down time for engine/trans drop. Appreciate everyone's guidance.
Ratchet1025 (02-17-2020)

Quick Reply: IMS BEARING AND CRANK SEAL REPLACEMENT