Sponsored by:

Is Any Bore Score Too Much Bore Score

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 12:17 AM
Jengah
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Is Any Bore Score Too Much Bore Score

So I got the car I've been looking at/negotiating the price on PPI'd today (2001 C2). Superficial engine things checked out, spark plugs all looked good, Bank 2 was fine, but when we got to Bank 1 (driver's side), we noticed slight bore scoring in cylinder 1. It was not as sever as the photos on Jake's site (http://flat6innovations.com/cylinder-bore-scoring/) more like an area about 45 degrees of the cylinder wall and not very deep or pronounced. This is on a dealer maintened engine with 79K on it plus IMS Solution installed at about 60K.

So, how bad is this? Cananyone say anything about the expected affect on performance or the expected longevity? Or, is it simply a diagnosis of "it will continue to get worse and there is no telling how fast it will degrade?

Any experienced or educated answers are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2020, 12:25 AM
mrdeezy
Banned

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Smith Volvo? I thought bore scoring was uncommon on the drivers side especially a consistent mild climate like California where is the car from originally? Sounds strange.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:46 AM
Jengah
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mrdeezy
Smith Volvo? I thought bore scoring was uncommon on the drivers side especially a consistent mild climate like California where is the car from originally? Sounds strange.
No, provate party. Car is originally from the Bay Area.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:21 AM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 232 Posts

It isn’t going to get any better with time. I find it hard to believe that with the cost associated from rebuilding these engines, you would consider purchasing one with this sort of an issue?

The piston goes up and down in the bore at least 700 times per minute, and as many times as 7000 times per minute. If the bore is scratched, scored, pitted whatever, it’s living on borrowed time, Once the lining is compromised the wear continues at an elevated rate.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:05 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

True, this is counter to most information that is being thrown around. However, I have a sample size of one that indicates this is not so strange. My engine only showed traces of bore scoring in cylinder #1. Then again, maybe there's more than one case of this...

Old 01-30-2020, 09:49 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

i think climate is just one aspect. Another is how long do you let the car sit after starting before driving off. Also, it may just be luck of the draw!
Old 01-30-2020, 10:00 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Lets see the pictures of the scored bore. Was it scoped from the sump?
The following users liked this post:
TexSquirrel (01-30-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 10:09 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

Well, if it's not "sever", it's definitely not a problem... There is no such thing as "ok" bore scoring - once it's there, it only gets worse. Tell yourself whatever you like, but problems like this don't fix themselves...
Old 01-30-2020, 10:15 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 791 Likes on 507 Posts

If I remember the information correctly any bore in the engine can score. True bank 2 is the bigger offender. However, any bore can score. It will not get better. Don't know how long it will last. Assume at this level it's NOT making any "ticking" noise??

DITTO on 808's question above.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:23 AM
srop816
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

If so many of these score, how are some of them making it to 70k plus mileage? I've even seen plenty with over 100k miles
Old 01-30-2020, 11:30 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by srop816
If so many of these score, how are some of them making it to 70k plus mileage? I've even seen plenty with over 100k miles
Do you think 70,000 miles is a lot?
Old 01-30-2020, 12:09 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 469 Likes on 329 Posts

There are so many 996s out there that I don't know if I would bother with one that has signs of bore scoring. When I bought mine its something I wish I would have known about, but like many I was concerned mainly with the IMS and the leaking RMS which were both addressed within 5 months of purchase. Over a year later it seems like bore scoring is a bigger potential threat. At least you can be retroactive about the IMS but with bore scoring you are more limited and eventually you will be building a new engine. So while I have no ticking its still in the back of my mind and one of these days I will scope it but if I had known more and my current car had showed signs I would have passed.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:13 PM
srop816
Racer

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Do you think 70,000 miles is a lot?
I suppose it's all relative. My daily driver has 208k miles, my truck has 62k miles, and my 996 has 15k miles. For my 996, I'd be surprised if i ever get up to 70k miles on it. I'm still new to these cars. I did some research before i bought, but I've only had mine a couple month so far. I did the IMS as soon as I got the car only to then discover more information about bore scoring. It seems that the more you read about these care, the more confusing it gets. I hear/see plenty of info that says these 996's are tanks and then read stuff that makes it seems like it's only a matter of time before the engine has some catastrophic failure. In the end, I've decided to enjoy the car as much as i possibly can! It's always been a dream of mine to have a 996, so I feel very fortunate to have one!
The following 2 users liked this post by srop816:
DSC800 (01-30-2020), Kent Langendorff (01-30-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 12:38 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by srop816
I suppose it's all relative. My daily driver has 208k miles, my truck has 62k miles, and my 996 has 15k miles. For my 996, I'd be surprised if i ever get up to 70k miles on it. I'm still new to these cars. I did some research before i bought, but I've only had mine a couple month so far. I did the IMS as soon as I got the car only to then discover more information about bore scoring. It seems that the more you read about these care, the more confusing it gets. I hear/see plenty of info that says these 996's are tanks and then read stuff that makes it seems like it's only a matter of time before the engine has some catastrophic failure. In the end, I've decided to enjoy the car as much as i possibly can! It's always been a dream of mine to have a 996, so I feel very fortunate to have one!
Keep on reading and weighing the "facts" (there are plenty of real and "alternative" ones floating around). ALL engines will eventually fail in some way - including the M96. It seems like the occurrence of engine failure is elevated here, but that's mostly a function of "the nature of internet forums" - i.e. people come here to commiserate with others who share their passions and problems. These cars (including the engines) are very well made/engineered - this is not to say that they have no problems - they do. After all, it's a "performance car" and along with the positives come some negatives - partially due to how these cars are used (they sit around in the garage sometimes for weeks or months at a time, and then we jump in and "drive them like we stole them"...). The key is to drive it, and maintain it - 5k mile oil changes are a must, using a high quality oil (not even going to open this can of worms - read, read, read), address certain issues at set mileage or time based intervals (water pump, cam chain pads, IMSB, fuel filter, etc.). Get "Tuned in" to the normal noises, feels, smells of the car and don't ignore when something changes or something new shows up - identify and address the cause as well as the symptom before it turns into something substantial.
Good luck
The following users liked this post:
TexSquirrel (01-30-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 12:50 PM
srop816
Racer

Originally Posted by dporto
Keep on reading and weighing the "facts" (there are plenty of real and "alternative" ones floating around). ALL engines will eventually fail in some way - including the M96. It seems like the occurrence of engine failure is elevated here, but that's mostly a function of "the nature of internet forums" - i.e. people come here to commiserate with others who share their passions and problems. These cars (including the engines) are very well made/engineered - this is not to say that they have no problems - they do. After all, it's a "performance car" and along with the positives come some negatives - partially due to how these cars are used (they sit around in the garage sometimes for weeks or months at a time, and then we jump in and "drive them like we stole them"...). The key is to drive it, and maintain it - 5k mile oil changes are a must, using a high quality oil (not even going to open this can of worms - read, read, read), address certain issues at set mileage or time based intervals (water pump, cam chain pads, IMSB, fuel filter, etc.). Get "Tuned in" to the normal noises, feels, smells of the car and don't ignore when something changes or something new shows up - identify and address the cause as well as the symptom before it turns into something substantial.
Good luck
Well said.

Quick Reply: Is Any Bore Score Too Much Bore Score